NFL draft draws 55 million viewers

candyman93

The virtual NFL draft reached a record 55 million viewers over three days on ABC, ESPN, NFL Network, ESPN Deportes and digital channels, the league announced Sunday.

Each day of the 2020 NFL draft set records, the league said. An average audience of more than 15.6 million viewers watched Round 1 on Thursday, up 37% over 2019. More than 8.2 million watched Rounds 2 and 3 on Friday, up 40% over 2019, and Saturday's coverage of Rounds 4-7 averaged more than 4.2 million viewers, up 32% over 2019.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29101466/virtual-nfl-draft-draws-55-million-viewers-league-says

I saw over 700 users online on this site on all three days while the draft was in progress.  

In the Redskins forum, I compared the post counts for each day compared to last year, and we had quite the improvement except for Day 1.  That is obviously going to happen when we have a consensus pick in Young, versus a year where we drafted a QB and then traded back into the first for another player. 

Day 1 Thread: 515 posts (694)

Day 2 Thread: 690 posts (387)

Day 3 Thread: 588 posts (359) 

The Redskins forum also passed 100,000 posts during this time.  

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Leader said:

Suffice to say......folks were thirsty for some sports.

I think people genuinely liked the format too... it was cool seeing coaches in their homes with their families (or dog).

Bucky Brooks liked it so much he suggested maybe they return to the format in the future, like maybe on Day 3... 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 12

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

My only fear is that networks are going to misinterpret this as fans just wanting to hear about every tragedy or familial death that has befallen every drafted player. 

I had 100% no interest in the human interest aspect that they chose to shove down our throats. Hoping that was only a byproduct of the odd circumstances for the draft. 

Yeah...that got a little old. 

Although this draft production was probably far cheaper to pull off....I suspect the NFL will return to the "city based" production next year.

It comes off BIGGER on the TV screen and offers more economic impact to the host city - one which (correct me if I'm wrong....) has always been host to an NFL team....so it supports the overall product.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Forge said:

My only fear is that networks are going to misinterpret this as fans just wanting to hear about every tragedy or familial death that has befallen every drafted player. 

I had 100% no interest in the human interest aspect that they chose to shove down our throats. Hoping that was only a byproduct of the odd circumstances for the draft. 

The only thing I enjoy about the human aspect as how jacked some of the dads are.  

I do agree that some of the stories were pretty cringeworthy and shouldn't have been shared.  Those depressing stories were not what I wanted to hear right now.  Give me something positive, like AGG looking like he's Mr Perfect.  Or the jacked parents.  Some of those things to make us feel the human aspect from another end.  

I still want a network/show that gives us nothing but the picks and analysis.  No music, a little personal background, but about the player and how they fit.  Like ESPN News for the draft.  

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Dome said:

I think people genuinely liked the format too... it was cool seeing coaches in their homes with their families (or dog).

Bucky Brooks liked it so much he suggested maybe they return to the format in the future, like maybe on Day 3... 

It was hilarious seeing BB put the Patriots logo he printed out over his Apple logo on the laptop, since Apple isn't a league sponsor.  Ron Rivera had a Redskins hat hanging over the Apple logo on his iMac.  

I really wanted to see Zimmer pull a Gibbs and start grilling steaks in his fireplace.  I wouldn't have an issue seeing this happen again, I thought it was pretty cool, but it would be a lot of work for one day.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It was hilarious seeing BB put the Patriots logo he printed out over his Apple logo on the laptop, since Apple isn't a league sponsor.  Ron Rivera had a Redskins hat hanging over the Apple logo on his iMac.  

Meanwhile Payton put Coca Cola (competitor of NFL sponsor Pepsi) and Crush (made by Keurig Dr. Pepper, competitor of Pepsi) Twizzlers (competitor of sponsor Mars Candy) all on display at his setup

he really really hates Goodell

Edited by Dome
  • Like 3