Draft Grade?   

24 members have voted

1. 1. Draft Grade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • Total Fail

Of course these draft grades right after the draft mean absolutely nothing…..BUT, since we don't have anything better to talk about, how would you rate this draft? How do you think we utilized our resources? Is the team better now or worse or the same from last season? 

So seems like most think we had an average draft. Nystrom in particular was not too fond of our draft and had us with a bottom three grade. I don't get the logic of that, especially when you factor in the Williams trade, but to each its own. 

Not the greatest fan of the first two picks and the trade that came with the second, but I can't complain about all the other Picks of this Draft that were either traded for Players or the ones that were picked. So it's a B+ I guess?

Edited by AustrianNiner

Definitely more quality than quantity. Best case we'll get a quality starting DT & WR. Maybe a starting RG (McKivitz) and some depth (Woerner, Jennings). 

Of the UDFA's, i read that we gave big guarantees to DB Demarcus Acy & WR Chris Finke. Acy seems like a PS candidate. If Finke impresses, wonder if he could sneak onto the bottom of the WR depth chart, maybe taking Taylor or James spot. He had 600 yards as a returner at Notre Dame. And perhaps RB JaMycal Hasty can make a name for himself in the RB room. 

If you include veterans traded for, than Dee Ford/Trent Williams for a 2020 2nd/5th are good values too. They'll be key for us this season at very important positions. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Of course these draft grades right after the draft mean absolutely nothing

With this understood by all, I would give them a C+ grade compared to what I'd have wanted. 

The biggest gripe for me is, if you didn't like the top 2 remaining WRs (Lamb-Jeudy) enough, then drop back from 13. Not just to 14, and not for an IDL with risky knees and back. 

More ideal for me.. If you are so sure that Aiyuk... your guy.. won't make it to 31? then trade back from 13 to say, #20 with Jax. Get their #42. 

#20 - WR / Brandon Aiyuk / AZ State

#31 - DT / Ross Blacklock / TCU

#42 - trade this for fun, pick up  #67 and #75 from Detroit.

#67 - DE / Julian Okwara / ND

#75 - OL / Josh Jones / HOU

don't remember the exact trades and picks, but I did like the McKivitz and Woerner adds enough. 

Also like getting Trent Williams after losing Joe.. but only so long as we don't add years and guarantees to this 1 yr audition. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

With this understood by all, I would give them a C+ grade compared to what I'd have wanted. 

The biggest gripe for me is, if you didn't like the top 2 remaining WRs (Lamb-Jeudy) enough, then drop back from 13. Not just to 14, and not for an IDL with risky knees and back. 

More ideal for me.. If you are so sure that Aiyuk... your guy.. won't make it to 31? then trade back from 13 to say, #20 with Jax. Get their #42. 

#20 - WR / Brandon Aiyuk / AZ State

#31 - DT / Ross Blacklock / TCU

#42 - trade this for fun, pick up  #67 and #75 from Detroit.

#67 - DE / Julian Okwara / ND

#75 - OL / Josh Jones / HOU

don't remember the exact trades and picks, but I did like the McKivitz and Woerner adds enough. 

Also like getting Trent Williams after losing Joe.. but only so long as we don't add years and guarantees to this 1 yr audition. 

I really don't it was that they didn't like the top 2 consensus WRs. I think they had their eye on Kinlaw all along...even@13.  He would have been the pick unless one of the OTs they liked fell to them. But when Wirfs dropped, who they probably didn't care for, they saw a opportunity to coax an extra pick from the Bucs and they took advantage.

I think what happened was the run on WRs happened sooner than they expected. I mean I thought Ayiuk would be there@31 personally. But when they saw Reagor and Jefferson go back to back I think they panicked. Lynch wanted to make sure Kyle had his guy so he went and grabbed him.

My initially thoughts??

C-

the trade up for Aiyuk still leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

19 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I really don't it was that they didn't like the top 2 consensus WRs. I think they had their eye on Kinlaw all along...even@13.  He would have been the pick unless one of the OTs they liked fell to them. But when Wirfs dropped, who they probably didn't care for, they saw a opportunity to coax an extra pick from the Bucs and they took advantage.

I think what happened was the run on WRs happened sooner than they expected. I mean I thought Ayiuk would be there@31 personally. But when they saw Reagor and Jefferson go back to back I think they panicked. Lynch wanted to make sure Kyle had his guy so he went and grabbed him.

My initially thoughts??

C-

the trade up for Aiyuk still leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

I'm a C- too.

Supposedly we took too long for a trade down with Dallas or Philly which is why we picked Kinlaw at the very end of time allotted at 14. I think that if we traded with Philly for their 1st, 2nd and 5th (and they got Goodwin) we could have still got both of the players we got anyway and still ended up with the extra draft capital.

If Philly traded up to #14 they would have taken Lamb or Jeudy and Denver would take the other. I think Dallas would take a CB (they took BPA, good on them) and the others in between wouldn't change, as they fit their needs, so we could take Kinlaw then unless someone traded up. With Reagor now still on the board I could then see us waiting until #31 for Aiyuk. This I would have been OK with but not a good use of resources for this draft.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Melbourne 9er said:

I'm a C- too.

Supposedly we took too long for a trade down with Dallas or Philly which is why we picked Kinlaw at the very end of time allotted at 14. I think that if we traded with Philly for their 1st, 2nd and 5th (and they got Goodwin) we could have still got both of the players we got anyway and still ended up with the extra draft capital.

If Philly traded up to #14 they would have taken Lamb or Jeudy and Denver would take the other. I think Dallas would take a CB (they took BPA, good on them) and the others in between wouldn't change, as they fit their needs, so we could take Kinlaw then unless someone traded up. With Reagor now still on the board I could then see us waiting until #31 for Aiyuk. This I would have been OK with but not a good use of resources for this draft.

Atlanta would have taken Kinlaw. 

• Like 3

I feel like the trade up for a receiver drops the draft an entire letter grade. Deepest class in memory and we trade up for a receiver... The next team to trade up for a receiver did so at pick 173. No team traded up for a receiver before us either

• Like 1