24 members have voted

1. 1. Draft Grade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • Total Fail

14 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Honestly, I dont think they really have any intention on extending him. I mean, they'll take the wait and see approach. But even if he's lights out this year, I really don't see how they can afford if he commands top tackle money. 

The thing with Williams is he's hurt alot and misses some games. But when his healthy, he's dominate. I live VA...I watch alot of the Skins because they're on every other channel, every week. I have no doubt he'll be one of the best LTs in football this upcoming season. His availability is my only real concern.

How many times have we said this same thing about players over the last 10 years? Lol we have continued to add guys with injury histories. 

I will say this, we had a lot of injuries last year but our new medical/training staff hybrid were able to get most guys to come back. So while it's tough to say our new hires proved useful in year 1 considering it felt like half the damn roster go hurt, I do think we are more equipped to handle someone like Trent than ever before, for this reason 

Let's just manage his workload from the beginning of the season. Everyone talks about how short and fast shannys practices are. I think that will be to our benefit and probably one of the reasons Trent wanted to come here. The way we do things is conducive to his long term career. He may decide he likes it here and that the way we do things is worth taking less AND paying more state taxes 

3 hours ago, N4L said:

How many times have we said this same thing about players over the last 10 years? Lol we have continued to add guys with injury histories. 

I will say this, we had a lot of injuries last year but our new medical/training staff hybrid were able to get most guys to come back. So while it's tough to say our new hires proved useful in year 1 considering it felt like half the damn roster go hurt, I do think we are more equipped to handle someone like Trent than ever before, for this reason 

Let's just manage his workload from the beginning of the season. Everyone talks about how short and fast shannys practices are. I think that will be to our benefit and probably one of the reasons Trent wanted to come here. The way we do things is conducive to his long term career. He may decide he likes it here and that the way we do things is worth taking less AND paying more state taxes 

I think that's wishful thinking tbh. Part of the reason to orchestrate a trade out of DC was to get a new deal. I seriously doubt he gives us a discount just to be on a winner. Most players are want to win. But securing their financial future is first and foremost a majority of the time.

I also feel that part of the reason he wanted to come here is he knows the system and was successful in it. What better way to increase your value than to go to a system you're familar with and can hit the ground running? He wants one last payday. And seeing the LT market after the Tunsil deal, if he balls out this year he will get significant money from someone. I just don't think it's going to be us.

22 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Well, I hope Aiyuk makes me forget we passed on CeeDee Lamb, myself. :(  That was my draft crush.

That's why I never did that to myself during this draft process. I knew wanting Lamb by any means would lead to disappointment.  I figured Kyle would take a wr none of us had in our top 3. I'm just glad it wasn't Ruggs...lol

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sherm said:

That's why I never did that to myself during this draft process. I knew wanting Lamb by any means would lead to disappointment.  I figured Kyle would take a wr none of us had in our top 3. I'm just glad it wasn't Ruggs...lol

It was a flawed group of players at 13, to be honest. Really weird spot for the draft. That tier (Lamb, Kinlaw, Jeudy, Wirfs, etc) was clearly better then the group that followed (Austin Jackson, Justin Jefferson, etc), but clearly below the likes of Okudah, Young, etc. Each had warts that would make the selection a little scary. I was simultaneously okay with most of the players we could have drafted there, and scared crapless of each of them as well. 

My overall thoughts on draft-weekend acquisitions:

#1: Trent Williams - This was the biggest shocker of the weekend. I love Staley to death, but Williams is better. I think he's a top 3 tackle and if he's rested and hungry, look out NFL. This is absolutely a win now move that didn't cost much at all. Masterful move by Lynch.

#2: Kinlaw - I was frustrated that we passed on Lamb here, but the more I watched film and listened to the FO's remarks, I'm really into this pick. I think Kinlaw is the second best DL in the draft and is the perfect ball of clay for Kris Kocurek. I think he will be a nice interior pass rusher year 1 and as he refines technique and leverage, he's going to be a very dominant all-around IDL.

#3: Aiyuk - I wanted a trade down here and frankly, I was wondering if we would've been better off going with Lamb at 14 and Blacklock in round 2, plus adding more mid-round picks. I liked Aiyuk before the draft but didn't think he was a 1st rounder. Now that we selected him, I dove more into his film and I came away way more impressed than my initial research. He's literally tailor-made for this offense and could hit the ground running faster than other WR's selected.

Trading up for Aiyuk is giving people Dante Pettis vibes, but this man is not Pettis, at all. To me, Aiyuk looks like an exceptional chess piece for Shanahan. I was listening to Eric Davis' comments on Aiyuk and it's really resonating with me. He said that dominant WR's that play one position are easier to defend against because you always know where they are. With Aiyuk, he can play all across the field and threaten each level of the defense, those kind of guys are way more dangerous. 

#4: Colton McKivitz - This was a surprise to me. I was really hoping we'd take Curtis Weaver, Bryce Hall, Nick Harris, Harrison Hand, Darnell Mooney, or Bradley Anae. When we selected him, I said who?? After hearing Lynch's comments after the draft, they specifically targeted McKivitz in the 5th, which I find very interesting. Even with the Trent Williams trade taking place before this pick, we still took a tackle. Not the route I would've went, but they really wanted this kid. I still don't know much about him, but it sounds like he's a decent pass blocker.

#5: Charlie Woerner - Great pick, IMO. We needed a 3rd TE that can block and this dude fits the bill. He's athletic enough to move around in space and hit moving targets, which is the backbone of our blocking scheme. If he can add anything at all in the passing game, he will be a very good depth piece moving forward.

#6: Jauan Jennings - This pick doesn't really move the needle for me. Don't really like him as a person (from what I'm reading about him) and don't love him as a WR. I'd love to be proved wrong, though. The very next pick is the guy I wanted in the 7th for months - Carter Coughlin EDGE. He's super athletic and twitchy. I also really wanted Jamycal Hasty in the 7th, but that ended up working just fine. If Jennings makes the team and is a contributor for the next 3-4 years, cool. If he never gets off the PS, fine. 

#7: JaMycal Hasty - I've been a fan of his for a few months now and I'm stoked he's a 49er. To me, this is our next Matt Brieda. Both are very fast, decent blockers, electric with the ball in their hands, and built to last. I think Hasty is a better pass catcher than Brieda as well. Since Lynch and Shanahan came to SF, you cannot rule out at least one breakout UDFA every year, I think this is the guy. 

#8: Darrion Daniel - This kid is flying under the radar in national circuits, but the more I read about him, the more I see a raw DJ Jones. Daniel is a NT that will eat up space in the run game and clog lanes. PFF absolutely loves this kid and the 49ers gave this kid over $100k guaranteed. From what I can find, that's the richest UDFA offer of our 2020 class. Don't be surprised if Daniel makes the team and is backing up Jones year 1. 

I thought this was a draft of filling immediate holes rather than long-term holes, which tells me that it's not so much about the 49ers not planning for the future, but it's more about capitalizing on the window right now and filling holes that will help day 1. I give Lynch a ton of credit for the way he's building this team for another SB run.

Unlike the Rams where they gutted their draft capital and signed a bunch of overpriced vets to make a run, the 49ers developed cheap talent, made timely deals when needed, and didn't sacrifice the future.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

My overall thoughts on draft-weekend acquisitions:

#1: Trent Williams - This was the biggest shocker of the weekend. I love Staley to death, but Williams is better. I think he's a top 3 tackle and if he's rested and hungry, look out NFL. This is absolutely a win now move that didn't cost much at all. Masterful move by Lynch.

#2: Kinlaw - I was frustrated that we passed on Lamb here, but the more I watched film and listened to the FO's remarks, I'm really into this pick. I think Kinlaw is the second best DL in the draft and is the perfect ball of clay for Kris Kocurek. I think he will be a nice interior pass rusher year 1 and as he refines technique and leverage, he's going to be a very dominant all-around IDL.

#3: Aiyuk - I wanted a trade down here and frankly, I was wondering if we would've been better off going with Lamb at 14 and Blacklock in round 2, plus adding more mid-round picks. I liked Aiyuk before the draft but didn't think he was a 1st rounder. Now that we selected him, I dove more into his film and I came away way more impressed than my initial research. He's literally tailor-made for this offense and could hit the ground running faster than other WR's selected.

Trading up for Aiyuk is giving people Dante Pettis vibes, but this man is not Pettis, at all. To me, Aiyuk looks like an exceptional chess piece for Shanahan. I was listening to Eric Davis' comments on Aiyuk and it's really resonating with me. He said that dominant WR's that play one position are easier to defend against because you always know where they are. With Aiyuk, he can play all across the field and threaten each level of the defense, those kind of guys are way more dangerous. 

#4: Colton McKivitz - This was a surprise to me. I was really hoping we'd take Curtis Weaver, Bryce Hall, Nick Harris, Harrison Hand, Darnell Mooney, or Bradley Anae. When we selected him, I said who?? After hearing Lynch's comments after the draft, they specifically targeted McKivitz in the 5th, which I find very interesting. Even with the Trent Williams trade taking place before this pick, we still took a tackle. Not the route I would've went, but they really wanted this kid. I still don't know much about him, but it sounds like he's a decent pass blocker.

#5: Charlie Woerner - Great pick, IMO. We needed a 3rd TE that can block and this dude fits the bill. He's athletic enough to move around in space and hit moving targets, which is the backbone of our blocking scheme. If he can add anything at all in the passing game, he will be a very good depth piece moving forward.

#6: Jauan Jennings - This pick doesn't really move the needle for me. Don't really like him as a person (from what I'm reading about him) and don't love him as a WR. I'd love to be proved wrong, though. The very next pick is the guy I wanted in the 7th for months - Carter Coughlin EDGE. He's super athletic and twitchy. I also really wanted Jamycal Hasty in the 7th, but that ended up working just fine. If Jennings makes the team and is a contributor for the next 3-4 years, cool. If he never gets off the PS, fine. 

#7: JaMycal Hasty - I've been a fan of his for a few months now and I'm stoked he's a 49er. To me, this is our next Matt Brieda. Both are very fast, decent blockers, electric with the ball in their hands, and built to last. I think Hasty is a better pass catcher than Brieda as well. Since Lynch and Shanahan came to SF, you cannot rule out at least one breakout UDFA every year, I think this is the guy. 

#8: Darrion Daniel - This kid is flying under the radar in national circuits, but the more I read about him, the more I see a raw DJ Jones. Daniel is a NT that will eat up space in the run game and clog lanes. PFF absolutely loves this kid and the 49ers gave this kid over $100k guaranteed. From what I can find, that's the richest UDFA offer of our 2020 class. Don't be surprised if Daniel makes the team and is backing up Jones year 1. 

I thought this was a draft of filling immediate holes rather than long-term holes, which tells me that it's not so much about the 49ers not planning for the future, but it's more about capitalizing on the window right now and filling holes that will help day 1. I give Lynch a ton of credit for the way he's building this team for another SB run.

Unlike the Rams where they gutted their draft capital and signed a bunch of overpriced vets to make a run, the 49ers developed cheap talent, made timely deals when needed, and didn't sacrifice the future.

I think they are going to try and put McKivitz at guard which would make sense, but like u mentioned I also listened to their podcast about his availability in the 5th to play tackle if we didn’t get Williams, so who knows. 

25 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I think they are going to try and put McKivitz at guard which would make sense, but like u mentioned I also listened to their podcast about his availability in the 5th to play tackle if we didn’t get Williams, so who knows. 

I thought guard as well, since we have 2 back up tackles now, but I'm wondering if one of Coleman or Skule doesn't make the team. Or, will it be McKivitz vs. Compton at G?

26 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I think they are going to try and put McKivitz at guard which would make sense...

This excatly what I don't want but it seems they are content with this philosophy of converting OTs to RG for some unfathomable reason. Its whatever at this point. But they really should leave the kid@OT. He has potential there...real potential.