Lions Still Sitting On $30 Million In Cap Space

Just Want A Title

The Lions are still sitting on about $30 million in cap space even if they don't do anything else to clear any space. 

The must do:

1.  Sign Kenny Golladay to an extension.  He is a really good but not necessarily elite WR and won't be cheap.

The wildcards:

1.  An extension for Taylor Decker.  He is an above average LT but even above average LTs aren't cheap (see Laremy Tunsil)

2.  Chris Jones is still sitting out there and there is no way the Chiefs can afford to sign him to extension with Frank Clark getting paid so much and and extension for Patrick Mahomes coming due.

I don't think its impossible that we make a play for Chris Jones because we really need someone to take some pressure off of Trey Flowers.  At this point, I don't think its likely.  It is more likely we extend Taylor Decker assuming the price makes sense.  How do you see us using our remaining cap space?  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

The Lions are still sitting on about $30 million in cap space even if they don't do anything else to clear any space. 

The must do:

1.  Sign Kenny Golladay to an extension.  He is a really good but not necessarily elite WR and won't be cheap.

The wildcards:

1.  An extension for Taylor Decker.  He is an above average LT but even above average LTs aren't cheap (see Laremy Tunsil)

2.  Chris Jones is still sitting out there and there is no way the Chiefs can afford to sign him to extension with Frank Clark getting paid so much and and extension for Patrick Mahomes coming due.

I don't think its impossible that we make a play for Chris Jones because we really need someone to take some pressure off of Trey Flowers.  At this point, I don't think its likely.  It is more likely we extend Taylor Decker assuming the price makes sense.  How do you see us using our remaining cap space?  Thoughts?

i extend both Golladay and Decker and try and work a trade next year for decker. see how he does of course. I pass on Chris Jones for now sadly. seems like they have their team. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Clowney keeps dropping his demands too.  I’d give him a one or two year deal.  

I’d be good with Dareus as well given he likely won’t be too expensive. 

that would be fun to watch. that would be some pressure on the QB

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

He has played DE and OLB.  He has plenty of ability to bring pressure opposite Flowers.  He would truly give us a legit pass rush and allow our DBs to excel.  

Okwara tandem in rotation. J. Collins and Davis blitz. What about a vet like DE M. Bennett??

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He has played DE and OLB.  He has plenty of ability to bring pressure opposite Flowers.  He would truly give us a legit pass rush and allow our DBs to excel.  

Does he really get pressure though? He doesn't get any sacks that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

Okwara tandem in rotation. J. Collins and Davis blitz. What about a vet like DE M. Bennett??

Collins has typically been more of a coverage LB.  he did have good sack numbers last year but I see him more as the guy covering TEs and backs.  I know we will have a rotation on the other end.  I just think Clowney is a big upgrade.  

Id do Clowney or trade for Jones with that kind of cap space. I also wont rule out Daniels on a much cheaper contract. Id even kick around Logan Ryan, depending on their thoughts on Coleman. Trufant is new to the system while Okudah is a rookie. At least theres scheme fit and familiarity. 

I’d say you resign Golladay.  You can always Tag Decker next year if you have to.  If we can extend him now then I say go for it.  But I would absolutely use that money for this year.  If you are Quinn or Patricia you have to compete this year or it’s over.  Need to play like there is no tomorrow.  I would love Clowney.  I think we need a another DT maybe Dareus.  I’d maybe kick the tires on Ansah.  If he’s cheap why not.  

• Like 1