Lions Still Sitting On $30 Million In Cap Space

Just Want A Title

1 hour ago, detroitroar said:

I personally dont want a TO maching as my backup QB. 

Daniel's wouldn't turn the ball over nearly as much.

I personally would like to see if Rosen is available. 

Yeah, exactly: if Stafford goes down, give me the game manager and lean on the run. Winston has far more ability, but the guy is addicted to turnovers.

3 hours ago, detroitroar said:

I personally dont want a TO maching as my backup QB. 

Daniel's wouldn't turn the ball over nearly as much.

I personally would like to see if Rosen is available. 

I agree with the first part, the last line though has me scratching my head.  You dont want turnovers but want the guy who has a career 12 to 19 TD to INT ratio?  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree with the first part, the last line though has me scratching my head.  You dont want turnovers but want the guy who has a career 12 to 19 TD to INT ratio?  

Apples and Oranges. It feels rather petty or ignorant that you would say that.

Winston has had much, much more to work with and much more time to show himself and hasn't done it.

I liked Rosen coming out and think he can do well with some continuity and decent blocking.

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, exactly: if Stafford goes down, give me the game manager and lean on the run. Winston has far more ability, but the guy is addicted to turnovers.

I think it was Orlovsky who used the phrase "needs to stop trying to prove he's the 1st overall pick on every throw". Taking a tall glass of humility as a low paid back up coupled with working under an established veteran like Brees (or Stafford in this case) could help with the turnovers. 

• Like 1

Just now, detroitroar said:

Apples and Oranges. It feels rather petty or ignorant that you would say that.

Winston has had much, much more to work with and much more time to show himself and hasn't done it.

I liked Rosen coming out and think he can do well with some continuity and decent blocking.

Even in college he was a little worse than a 2-1 TD/INT ratio.  Which isnt good in college.  He never completed passes at a high rate, even in college.  He has had opportunities with three coaching staffs and it was determined he isnt the guy.  He seems like a much worse option than Winston IMO given lack of experience and stacking failures. Jameis threw a lot of INTs this year but he wasnt a TO machine until last year. 

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Even in college he was a little worse than a 2-1 TD/INT ratio.  Which isnt good in college.  He never completed passes at a high rate, even in college.  He has had opportunities with three coaching staffs and it was determined he isnt the guy.  He seems like a much worse option than Winston IMO given lack of experience and stacking failures. Jameis threw a lot of INTs this year but he wasnt a TO machine until last year. 

He hasn't played on the best teams going back to UCLA but ok.

I'd be willing to bet when the dust settles Rosen will of had the better career but that's just me.

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I think it was Orlovsky who used the phrase "needs to stop trying to prove he's the 1st overall pick on every throw". Taking a tall glass of humility as a low paid back up coupled with working under an established veteran like Brees (or Stafford in this case) could help with the turnovers. 

Maybe Winston has it in him. Seems like New Orelans is a golden opportunity especially seeing what Teddy did.

• Like 1

Just now, detroitroar said:

Maybe Winston has it in him. Seems like New Orelans is a golden opportunity especially seeing what Teddy did.

This is why I wouldn't have hated bringing him in on the kind of deal he got with NO. Mariota just got a $7.5M deal while Winston has a $1.1M deal. Daniel has a $5M cap hit. 

Risk vs reward. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

He hasn't played on the best teams going back to UCLA but ok.

I'd be willing to bet when the dust settles Rosen will of had the better career but that's just me.

I will bet that Rosen never gets a chance because he has flamed out and not even been a viable option for a team trying to tank.  I would say Rosen might have one or two more years to prove his worth as a backup but if he doesn't, he will be long gone.  I would bet all I had that Winston gets another chance to start before Rosen does. 

15 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I will bet that Rosen never gets a chance because he has flamed out and not even been a viable option for a team trying to tank.  I would say Rosen might have one or two more years to prove his worth as a backup but if he doesn't, he will be long gone.  I would bet all I had that Winston gets another chance to start before Rosen does. 

Agreed 100% - Winston is getting another shot long before Rosen might even be a QB2. Fair or not. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Not even an option for a team trying to tank? I dont see how that can be said. They traded away their best players.

Everybody was expendable. 

1 hour ago, detroitroar said:

Not even an option for a team trying to tank? I dont see how that can be said. They traded away their best players.

Everybody was expendable. 

And he wasn't even good enough to make it look like they were trying.  He started 3 games, went 0-3 with a 50% comp percentage and 1-5 TD to Int ratio.  He was so bad they had to put in Fitzpatrick, who actually almost blew their tank for Tua campaign.  The same team that Rosen couldn't do anything with, Fitz went 5-8 with.  And Fitz really isnt special and is likely worse than Jameis too.  

40 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

And he wasn't even good enough to make it look like they were trying.  He started 3 games, went 0-3 with a 50% comp percentage and 1-5 TD to Int ratio.  He was so bad they had to put in Fitzpatrick, who actually almost blew their tank for Tua campaign.  The same team that Rosen couldn't do anything with, Fitz went 5-8 with.  And Fitz really isnt special and is likely worse than Jameis too.  

I dont understand how you can hold it against him about how bad they were and acknowledge they wanted to tank at the same time.

He was bad, yeah. Tiny sample size on a team you acknowledged wasnt trying to win.

28 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I dont understand how you can hold it against him about how bad they were and acknowledge they wanted to tank at the same time.

He was bad, yeah. Tiny sample size on a team you acknowledged wasnt trying to win.

Well, I don't think players tank. Organizations tank. Players get paid to play. (Even the Blough-quarterbacked Lions were competitive game in and game out, Blough with 54% completion, 4 TDs and 6 INTs.)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Well, I don't think players tank. Organizations tank. Players get paid to play. (Even the Blough-quarterbacked Lions were competitive game in and game out, Blough with 54% completion, 4 TDs and 6 INTs.)

My point is that with a team and roster in that situation, how can you get an accurate assessment of anyone?

We talk about players buying into Matty P. What happens when the f.o. themselves doesnt buy in?