2021 early watching list

paul-mac

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'm guessing PFF college is about 3 years old 

Exactly, so they should specify “In the last 3-5 years” instead of “EVER”. ;)

No doubt he’s great, but to grade someone as the best “ever/since 2017” is why some don’t take PFF seriously, albeit I do love their advanced metrics.

• Like 1

Kellen Mond could be the fourth QB off the board but I see him moving up if he has a big season alike his 2018 season that put him on that board. In a kind of Jordan Love way, we could be looking at his past performances and what they show instead of being fixated on his shortcomings the previous season. He's very clutch, good arm, accuracy a bit shaky but under Fisher he's been improving a LOT and hes a good runner. Kind of in the mold of a Deshaun Watson. I'd keep my eye on him if he plays well against the first top 25 team TAMU plays. 

Last year he was expected to take that big jump but he kind of fell flat against any major competition.

Edited by Drained

17 hours ago, ScoDucks823 said:

Javon Holland (DB) - could see him rising up to the first round, at times was fantastic in a honey badger type roamer role and was our best defensive player for much of last year

Holland is one I really have my eye on.  With his ball skills at safety (where I think he ends up projected at the next level, albeit a safety who can be a slot CB at times) I think he could end up a top 10 pick.  He already has 9 int through his sophomore year and a lot of passes defended.  Those kind of ball skills are coveted by NFL teams.

38 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

D'Eriq King transferred to Miami for this season. He could be one to watch out for. He is so dynamic with the ball in his hands.

His passes are atrocious, but he'll be a good RB/WR at the next level.

I like the Penn State Tight End. He could go top 15 I think.

I want to know more about Purdy or Newman from Georgia.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Is it a better year for QBs in 2021 than it was 2020?

Probably.  There is also a bunch of hype around Trey Lance out of North Dakota State, but I haven't seen him play yet.  I'm not high on Herbert's composure, Tua's health, or Love's overall game, so this year has a lot of question marks even with 4 first round QBs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Probably.  There is also a bunch of hype around Trey Lance out of North Dakota State, but I haven't seen him play yet.  I'm not high on Herbert's composure, Tua's health, or Love's overall game, so this year has a lot of question marks even with 4 first round QBs.

I like Trey Lance, but I find it a bit peculiar a bunch of people talk about him, yet Jabril Cox, the former NDSU linebacker with great movement skills who considered entering the draft this year but transferred to from the FCS champions to the FBS champs aka, LSU.

Are people actually watching NDSU, or just seeing 39 total TD's and 0 INT's and saying "top 10 overall pick, that's where Carson Wentz went too!" Because if it's the former, you would think they would also be talking about the NDSU LB who was good enough to transfer from one level's national champion to the next level's champion..

Edited by Da_Ducktator

29 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Just b/c of Fields and Lawrence, yes. Lawrence is easily a better prospect than anyone this year and Fields is a better one not named "Burrow" by a wide margin as well. A healthy Tua would nullify that comment but that's to be seen. There will be a surprise QB that gets us as well as there always is.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

His passes are atrocious, but he'll be a good RB/WR at the next level.

Will certainly be a big season for him to see if he has made some positive strides as a passer. In 2018 I thought he looked like he had some potential to be more than a RB/WR in the NFL. I think he has enough arm talent to be a QB it's more between the ears and consistency at this point for me in regards to his prospects at the next level.

On 4/27/2020 at 9:47 AM, THE DUKE said:

JaMarr Chase torched everyone. 

84 catches
1780 yards
21.2 avg
20 TD

Easy WR1 next year in a class that is even more stacked at WR than the 2020 WR draft class.  Top 5 pick next year.

This was probably the best WR class that I've ever seen. Very high end talent and lots of it to go with historic depth. WR's made it to UDFA, when in just about any other year some of them would have been drafted in the 4th-5th round range. The bar is set REALLY high for this 2021 class...so high that I'll say that it's unlikely to surpass (without knowing very much of anything about the 2021 class, other than Chase is pretty much a lock for a top 15 pick).

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm torn on it. I'm not as sold on Lawrence as some are as an Andrew Luck caliber prospect. I think Burrow's best and Lawrence's best we've seen are about equal. I'll say the absolute top of the class is a wash. 

The Fields/Costello/Newman tier....Tua and Herbert were both seen as plausible #1 picks at various times in the not-so-distant past. Maybe Fields gets that hype? Newman is the Jordan Love for me- maybe good, maybe not, and it'll almost all come from this season. Costello was one of my favorites heading into the 2019 season- not flashy, just efficient and productive in a typical offense instead of a gimmicky one. But injury and regression could hurt. And as far as stock goes, he went from a team that could win the Pac12 North any given year to Mississippi State, who is at best, the 5th best team in the SECW. He had some fans in the scouting community, and a big year in Leach's O against SEC competition could skyrocket his stock much like Burrow's overnight ascension. But I just don't foresee that happening and see him topping off as a late day 2-early day 3 steal below his talent level but above the majority of his on-field production.

I like Brady White, but he's probably going to have similar stock to James Morgan- he'll get some minor hype, but he'll be a round 3 guy at best I imagine. Round 2 might be within reach with a great season and pre-Draft, but I doubt it. 

Coan isn't exciting, but he's smart and efficient and has shown tremendous progress. But his ceiling is probably that of a high quality backup and short term starter. I can see him having a Ryan Fitzpatrick like career as a journeyman who is always just good enough to warrant looks but always looking at being replaced. Maybe a poor man's Jacob Eason without the attitude as far as production goes. Probably not a great comparison of skill sets though.

In regards to the 2 classes- 

Burrow = Lawrence for me

Tua < Fields due to the injury 

Herbert > Newman though I despised Herbert, so it could change

Love < Costello if Costello rehabs his stock

Hurts < White simply because I'm not sure Hurts can be an NFL QB and White won't play another position

Eason > Coan Eason at least had 1st round hype, Coan won't

Problem is, I don't see 4 1st round QBs in the 2021 class, much less 5 getting 1st round hype,  but I see better career trajectories and less bust potential for the QB position. 

I'll give the edge to 2020 given that Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, and Eason received 1st round consideration and could all 5 be starters in 3 years time. Hurts, I see as a backup or weapon at worst. Higher bust chances, but higher breakout chances as well. 

• Like 1