2021 early watching list

paul-mac

59 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

@Ozzy, what are your thoughts on Auburn wide receivers Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz?

Seth Williams I really like, he has amazing hands and is a big body receiver that can make very difficult catches.  Great jump ball receiver that has been elite for awhile.  Schwartz has potential no doubt and that track background but needs to progress a lot more and be more than just a gimmick receiver that makes plays with specific plays created for him.  Williams has 1st round talent if he reaches his potential, Schwartz is just a speed guy that has a long ways to go I feel to be considered elite.  

Either way, with this entire class it will just be hard for all of them to progress like they should because of the situation.  Who knows if there even is a season and is what 100 days or so till the season is supposed to start.  I just doubt they will all be wildly improved as players but will see even if one gets that chance to see them play this year.

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Seth Williams I really like, he has amazing hands and is a big body receiver that can make very difficult catches.  Great jump ball receiver that has been elite for awhile.  Schwartz has potential no doubt and that track background but needs to progress a lot more and be more than just a gimmick receiver that makes plays with specific plays created for him.  Williams has 1st round talent if he reaches his potential, Schwartz is just a speed guy that has a long ways to go I feel to be considered elite.  

Either way, with this entire class it will just be hard for all of them to progress like they should because of the situation.  Who knows if there even is a season and is what 100 days or so till the season is supposed to start.  I just doubt they will all be wildly improved as players but will see even if one gets that chance to see them play this year.

I pretty much agree overall. 

I love Schwartz on-tape, though. This guy was playing with a cast on his hand and still roasted the SEC West at times with some circus catches. I like his hands, and I feel that his development has been very nice, which is a good trend. Overall, though, yeah, he's still a work in progress.

Just now, HoboRocket said:

I pretty much agree overall. 

I love Schwartz on-tape, though. This guy was playing with a cast on his hand and still roasted the SEC West at times with some circus catches. I like his hands, and I feel that his development has been very nice, which is a good trend. Overall, though, yeah, he's still a work in progress.

Yeah he did show some toughness for them last year, and having a true freshman QB did not help but Nix could be much improved down the road.  Schwartz is a track guy though and still has a lot of work to do, kind of like Devon Allen on Oregon a few years back.  Great first season, track guy but then never really took his game to another level.  Those smaller slot guys need to really standout or they will just be lost in the shuffle.  Jalen McCleskey showed promise on Ok State, had a 800+ yard 7 TD season on Ok State as a sophomore, then even last year did well on Tulane after he transferred to there, but never quite elite enough and went as a UDFA this past draft.  

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 8:41 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Is it a better year for QBs in 2021 than it was 2020?

I think so even if you just look at the top 2. 

Lawrence/Fields are IMO better prospects than both Burrow/Tua. Lawrence is regarded as probably the best QB prospect since Luck and his classmate Fields is the perfect prototype for the 'new age' QB with a balance of size/speed/accuracy/arm strength. Plus his 40TDs/1INT split doesnt hurt.

Burrow (while amazing) has sort of a 1 year wonder tag and his deep ball was a minor concern. Tua is a 6'0" tall lefty with major injury concerns.

If they were all in the same class it would look like

1.Lawrence 

2a. Fields 2b. Burrow

3. Tua

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

On 28/05/2020 at 12:31 AM, Jason_Bengal_Fl said:

You know PFF didn't exist then, right?

Think that was his point - that it's not particularly impressive when PFF say 'greatest season ever graded' when they've been around for like 6 seasons or whatever.

I reckon those two would have similar grade though...

On 4/27/2020 at 11:56 AM, JTagg7754 said:
On 4/27/2020 at 11:06 AM, Da_Ducktator said:

I have a feeling he won't declare, but Chris Olave of Ohio State is a fun watch and not getting much pub. Sound player, runs good routes, always extends for the ball, constantly making sideline catches. Not as talented as teammate Garrett Wilson (soph), but solid receiver who also plays special teams (blocked a punt last year and also caught a surprise onside kick in a game).

Wilson is going to be a "first overall WR prospect" so that bar is kinda high lol but yes, Olave is interesting to watch. I don't feel he's first round material just yet but w/ another season, that could absolutely change!

I believe Olave will declare cause next year he will have a huge season. tOSU will only have two legit experiences WRs in him and Wilson. The rest will be inexperienced or young. So I think he has a chance to put up a huge season stat wise. I think he would put up a better combine than expected and when you see his tape, teams will fall in love with him. I could def seeing him being a top40 kinda pick. 

It be great if Olave stays because I believe Fields will be gone after the season, so it be pretty great to break in a new QB with Senior Olave, 3rd year Wilson, and a 2nd year Fleming. That be the best WR grouping in the nation

On 5/29/2020 at 7:12 PM, AkronsWitness said:

I think so even if you just look at the top 2. 

Lawrence/Fields are IMO better prospects than both Burrow/Tua. Lawrence is regarded as probably the best QB prospect since Luck and his classmate Fields is the perfect prototype for the 'new age' QB with a balance of size/speed/accuracy/arm strength. Plus his 40TDs/1INT split doesnt hurt.

Burrow (while amazing) has sort of a 1 year wonder tag and his deep ball was a minor concern. Tua is a 6'0" tall lefty with major injury concerns.

If they were all in the same class it would look like

1.Lawrence 

2a. Fields 2b. Burrow

3. Tua

I would take Burrow over Fields 100x out of 100. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I would take Burrow over Fields 100x out of 100. 

We'll see, Burrow had a great season--just worried it could have been a '1 year wonder' type of performance considering nothing prior in his collegiate career said that he could be a top tier NFL QB. He wasnt a top recruit, was 3rd on OSUs depth chart, lost a QB competition, transferred and had a bad junior year and then blew up his senior season.

Not saying he cant be great, but people are putting a whooole lotta stock into his one season whereas Fields was the #2 overall player in the country who I think has a higher ceiling with his natural traits, even if he is still growing into his game right now.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

We'll see, Burrow had a great season--just worried it could have been a '1 year wonder' type of performance considering nothing prior in his collegiate career said that he could be a top tier NFL QB. He wasnt a top recruit, was 3rd on OSUs depth chart, lost a QB competition, transferred and had a bad junior year and then blew up his senior season.

Not saying he cant be great, but people are putting a whooole lotta stock into his one season whereas Fields was the #2 overall player in the country who I think has a higher ceiling with his natural traits, even if he is still growing into his game right now.

He didn’t have a BAD junior year. 
And he didn’t have a good year as a Senior. He had an unbelievable year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He didn’t have a BAD junior year. 
And he didn’t have a good year as a Senior. He had an unbelievable year. 

He did, but was that one year of unbelievable success lightning in a bottle or who he really is as a QB every week on the NFL level. I can see it going either way I just dont view Burrow as some sure fire cant miss elite prospect like many others do. I think he has potential to be really good, I just view Lawrence/Fields as higher ceiling 'safer' bets based on their pedigree coming into college and what each has done so far in the past year or two

• Like 1