Roster Expectations

soflbillsfan

Now that the Draft is over and Free Agency is pretty much done with a few expectations, who do you see making the roster or expected cuts?

I expect Trent Murphy freeing up $8 mil not that they drafted Epenesa. Dont know when but he wont make the 53 man roster if everyone is healthy

Duke Williams, Isiah McKenzie, Andre Roberts, Robert Foster, Ray Ray McCloud a few of these guys will likely be cut. My Guess is the bills roll with Beasley, Diggs, Brown, Davis, Hodgins, Roberts, and either Mckenzie or Foster and hold on to 7 Wr this year.

Hausch Money could potentially lose his spot as kicker with Bass coming in and taking over clearing 1.8 mil in cap space.

Corner I could see the bills locking in Tre, Norman, Turon as starters but as back up Levi, Gaines, Lewis, and Jackson as back up. I can see Lewis and possibly Gaines being let go.

This is just a few things I can see happening. 

I'll post a full 53 later but some timbits I'll be working off of from what I've read or heard from draft analyst:

Hodgins could be a big slot at this level. May struggle getting off press and working the sideline. Maybe seen as a Beasley back up.

Taiwan Jones plays every special teams and has shown well as a KR in the past. Andre Roberts needs a strong camp IMO.

Dimarco and Haush may be too expensive to keep around for a team that will be looking to retain their guys this coming season.

2 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Keeping - Trent Murphy

Notable Cuts - Duke Williams 😕 , Robert Foster, Stephen Hauschka,  Lee Smith, Spencer Long

If we keep Murphy then who is out? The Bills have the following listed Defensive ends and we usually keep 4.

Mario Addison, Jerry Hughes, Aj Epenesa, Mike Love, Daryl Johnson, Jonathan Woodard, Quinton Jefferson, and Trent Murphy

I assume Mike Love and Jonathan Woodard are fighting for potential P Sqaud and are clearly depth right now. Mario, Jerry, and Quinton are basically uncuttable as they would cost more then they would to be playing. Daryl Johnson is still young with a high ceiling, apparently the dline coach is very high on him. Murphy is getting paid 9.775 mil this year with a cap clearing of a little north of $8 mil

Bills were in between 3-4 Defensive Tackles last year, Vernon Butler, Star Lotuleilei, Harrison Phillips, Ed Oliver, and Vincent Taylor. Only ones that would be cuttable are Taylor and Phillips.

I just can not see the bills going in to the season holding on to 9 dlineman. As much as McDermott rotates he has never had this many dlineman on the active roster. 

Out side of the psquad guys, Love Woodard and Taylor, the only 3 expendable guys this year are Daryl Johnson, Harrison Phillips, and Trent Murphy. Unless one goes down in TC I cant imagine Murphy being on the team do to cost and performance. 

Current Bloated contracts that players may be cut because of:

Trent Murphy $9.775 mil cap saving of 8.025 mil
Lee Smith $3.25 mil cap saving of $1.75 mil
Spencer Long $3.125 mil with a cap savings of $2.425 mil
Patrick Dimarco $1.9 mil with a cap savings of $1.4
Stephen Hauschka  $3.05 mil with a cap savings of $1.8 mil
Andre Roberts $2 mil with a cap savings of $1.5 mil
TJ Yeldon $1.9 mil with a cap savings of $1.65
Taiwan Jones $1.75 mil with a cap savings of $1 mil
Total Savings of 18-18.5 mil depending on the Jones/Roberts battle (can be included in the roll over amount which they will have about $70-80 mil in cap space for next year)

QB: Allen, Barkley, Fromm
RB: Singletary, Moss, Jones
FB/HB: Gilliam
TE: Knox, Kroft, Sweeney
WR: Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, Hodgins, McKenzie
LT: Dawkins, Nsehke
LG: Spain
C: Morse, Long
RG: Feliciano, Boehm
RT: Ford, Williams

DE: Hughes, Jefferson, Johnson
DT: Oliver, Butler
DT: Star, Phillips
DE: Addison, Epenesa
LB: Milano, Thompson
MLB: Edmunds, Matakevich 
LB: Klein, Joseph
CB: White, Norman, Johnson, Wallace, Jackson
S: Poyer, Neal, Marlowe
S: Hyde, Johnson

K: Bass
P: Vedvik
LS: Ferguson 

Main KR/PR will be Taiwan Jones and McKenzie.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Total Savings of 18-18.5 mil depending on the Jones/Roberts battle (can be included in the roll over amount which they will have about $70-80 mil in cap space for next year)

That's pretty good. Especially if Milano(1), Dawkins(13) and White(20) take up about 35-45 million of that depending how the contracts are structured. 

24 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I actually 100% agree with this roster man. Don't forget we get 55 now so have two more spots available. I'll throw in these two:

OT Trey Adams - UDFA, if he stays healthy through camp I can see him making it as a depth OL with an injury prone Nseke and Williams

RB TJ Yeldon - If not Yeldon, then any other veteran RB. Jones i sthere for ST but need another verteran presence behind Singletary and Moss

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

That Defense makes me smile. The depth and skill is insane and will keep us in every game.

Gonna be a tall order to put up 20+ on us which is great for Allen. Same with Baltimore, I see a rivalry with Baltimore starting with some post season clashes on horizon

Edited by BillsGuy82

6 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Don't we have 55 spots this year, or is that for the next season? If we do have 53, I agree with this roster tho.

Edited by Killashaw

15 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

I actually 100% agree with this roster man. Don't forget we get 55 now so have two more spots available. I'll throw in these two:

9 hours ago, Killashaw said:

Don't we have 55 spots this year, or is that for the next season? If we do have 53, I agree with this roster tho.

Only on gameday do we get 55 on the roster (48 active). The two added to the roster come from the PS and then go back there after the game and they will not be subject to waiver claims from other teams.

15 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

That sounds about right, however I would say that addison is suppose to be on the Rightside and Jefferson is projected on leftside for defensive end.

The other thing is why are people giving so much love to Taiwan Jones being the KR? Andre Roberts was graded top 5 last year with an average of 26.6 yds. Taiwan wasn't even Houston's top return man. The difference is only between 500k. Outside a couple things during the playoff game against the bills he hasnt really done anything in 2019. 

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

The other thing is why are people giving so much love to Taiwan Jones being the KR? Andre Roberts was graded top 5 last year with an average of 26.6 yds. Taiwan wasn't even Houston's top return man. The difference is only between 500k. Outside a couple things during the playoff game against the bills he hasnt really done anything in 2019. 

For me its several reasons.

1. KR is mostly irrelevant in todays NFL and our roster is too good to keep a guy if this is his soul purpose.

2. The two seasons Jones was a primary Kick returner were actually pretty good. 

3. Roberts battled injuries last season and offers nothing as a WR. Also don't believe he plays any other specials. Jones plays every special teams and the Bills showed they value that at RB (Perry in 19, Jones in 18 and 17).

4. Bills are deep at WR specifically. Cutting Mckenzie or Duke for Roberts or any KR doesn't seem smart. 

22 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Pretty much agree with this. Only difference i have is i expect EJ Gaines to make the team over Marlowe. Think Jackson will become a backup nickle to start his career. And Gaines, White, Norman, and White will be our outside corners.

And im gonna go out on a limb and say Dodson beats out Thompson

Also I think Butler could potentially start at 1 tech and have Jefferson the backup behind Oliver. 

Also with all our defensive linemen does anyone else think Daryl Johnson may move to backup SLB? I think possibilty is there. He weighs 253 so he could definitely be a factor. See him as a very similar type as Lorenzo. And Vosean Joseph could be backup at WLB

Edited by marshawn lynch

Nailed the roster @Trentwannabe

Roster looks very complete too. Thinking ahead, man do we look good going into next year too if we can extend our trio (White, Milano and Dawkins). 

Beane has set us up so well to go BPA in drafts and upgrade other areas in free agency versus filling major holes there like past regimes.

What an exciting team overall.