Roster Expectations

soflbillsfan

6 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

Nailed the roster @Trentwannabe

Roster looks very complete too. Thinking ahead, man do we look good going into next year too if we can extend our trio (White, Milano and Dawkins). 

Beane has set us up so well to go BPA in drafts and upgrade other areas in free agency versus filling major holes there like past regimes.

What an exciting team overall. 

It will be hard to pay all 3 but I expect them to pay 2 and i think the odd man out will be milano. I will be very impressed if they manage to keep all 3 and bring in more talent. If they cut all the bare necessities that I mentioned above they have 18 mil to include in to their 16-17 mil they currently have giving them about 34-35 mil total. Not sure how much can be rolled over but then you have next year another 9 mil they can clear by cutting Hughes and Star. To add to the 42 mil they will have next year in cap space. If they were to bring all of that money over they would be at 86 mil in cap space but I dont think thats how the roll over works. This is also including that the cap does not increase. Bills may be able to take a huge chunk from that to pay tre and dawkins, but I am sure they are going to want to look to roll over some the following year as well as bring in other talent at that time. Not to mention other guys who will be free agents that aren't high profile like the 3 you mentioned. Josh Allen, Trumaine Edmunds, and Micah Hyde will be next years top priority in extension talks as it will be Hyde's final year and both Allen Edmunds will be given the 5th year option.

6 hours ago, gobills123 said:

My only difference from Trents is Lee Smith over Boehm and Gaines over Johnson/Marlowe.

Boehm has a shot if we cut Spencer Long to save some money.

I want to see Gaines stay healthy before I can pencil him into my 53. 

Bills invested a draft pick into Johnson who’s looked solid and Marlowe has a lot of flexibility. Regardless a good player or two will be let go from the DB room.

I can't remember where I read it, but I guess the way the 55 man roster works is you still have a 53-man game day roster, and you can bring up 2 players from the PS for game day, but after the game, those two players revert back to the PS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maxmw22 said:

I can't remember where I read it, but I guess the way the 55 man roster works is you still have a 53-man game day roster, and you can bring up 2 players from the PS for game day, but after the game, those two players revert back to the PS.

This is correct.

And the two players who get called up can only do so twice.

6 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

What is the likelihood of the Bills looking at Dalton? He’s way better then Barkley and has a soft spot for the city.

Would be a great plan B incase Allen gets hurt or really regresses. 

I doubt he will come to the bills I think he wants a shot at starting and Jacksonville New England give him the best opportunity to do so. Also I dont see the bills spending the money to bring him in as they can use this money for their current players they need to extend. Fromm is going to come in and challenge Barkley, even though Beane said they werent planning on drafting him, they ended up wanting to to get someone cheaper and on the same level as barkley. I know they were looking at Morgan for awhile in the draft process so my belief is they were planning on drafting one to come in and challenge barkley. I expect them to hold on to all 3 this year for now with COVID going on but long term they will let barkley walk and keep fromm as back up unless he completely falls face first and blows in camp.

• Like 1

You’re likely right @soflbillsfan but it would be pretty neat to see Dalton come full circle so to speak and actually play for Buffalo after everything that happened.

I agree that we keep 3 QBs. Getting that Extra two active guys on game day means the Bills fan just make Fromm inactive every week and activate One of the PS player they called up (I’m guessing a DB or OL most often).

• 2 weeks later...

Guys. There is zero chance that Trey Adams doesn't make the roster with his good he is at football. At the very least, be takes a spot on IR as a rookie if he gets hurt. 

This is the steal of the off-season.

Had Adams not had so many serious injuries that have created concerns about durability and career longevity, he would have been a top-10 draft pick, even this year.

His size and anchor are elite. His length is admirable. He's too long and strong to get beaten to the outside, consistently shutting down featured edge rushers over the course of his six-year career at Washington. He's a stud-monkey when it comes to his run blocking ability. Complete and total road grader in the running game. He's not ideal for a rolling parts super spread scheme, but he deminstrated the requisite mobility to move around in 2019, even after major hip and back injuries. He's been a consistent team captain, and his work ethic is off the charts. He's battled back from serious injury time and again and WANTS to play football SO BADLY. He blocks through the whistle on every play and is flat out nasty to his matchup. 

Trey Adams is like a stronger, slightly less mobile Andrew Thomas, but nastier on an every-snap basis and an even better run blocker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

Guys. There is zero chance that Trey Adams doesn't make the roster with his good he is at football. At the very least, be takes a spot on IR as a rookie if he gets hurt. 

This is the steal of the off-season.

Had Adams not had so many serious injuries that have created concerns about durability and career longevity, he would have been a top-10 draft pick, even this year.

His size and anchor are elite. His length is admirable. He's too long and strong to get beaten to the outside, consistently shutting down featured edge rushers over the course of his six-year career at Washington. He's a stud-monkey when it comes to his run blocking ability. Complete and total road grader in the running game. He's not ideal for a rolling parts super spread scheme, but he deminstrated the requisite mobility to move around in 2019, even after major hip and back injuries. He's been a consistent team captain, and his work ethic is off the charts. He's battled back from serious injury time and again and WANTS to play football SO BADLY. He blocks through the whistle on every play and is flat out nasty to his matchup. 

Trey Adams is like a stronger, slightly less mobile Andrew Thomas, but nastier on an every-snap basis and an even better run blocker. 

Appreciate the insight!

I have no doubt he chose the Bills as an UDFA because of the question marks we have at RT and depth. I am hoping camp is open to fans at some point so I can see him practice.

Pre-season will be extra fun watching him, Jake Fromm and Isaiah Hodgins battle for positioning on the final 53.

5 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

They won't cut Roberts. No chance. 

He is a top 3 returner in the league and has been for a number of years and they made a conscious effort this off season to improve Special Teams. The drop off to the next best returner is dramatic. 

A little early in the off-season to say no chance IMO.

If Hodgins and McKenzie or Williams both prove too good to cut or important for the offense, Roberts should be the odd man out. It seems unlikely the Bills keep 7 WR's and a top 10 KR unit isn't as do or die for playoff teams as a a top 10 offense is.

I was curious to see the difference so here it is, KR yards vs PTS/G teams.

2019 Playoffs:
Top 10 KR teams: 3
Top 10 Offense: 8

2018 Playoffs:
Top 10 KR teams: 4
Top 10 Passing  Offense: 8

2017 Playoffs:
Top 10 Passing Offense: 8

10 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

A little early in the off-season to say no chance IMO

Personally I think he is one of the safest spots on the roster. We don't have an even half decent alternative, it's one of the biggest drop off of any positions on the team. 

Hyde is a alternative if you simply want a safe catch. But Mckenzie was a liability and the fact they went and spent the money they did in the off season on pure special teamers suggests to me he is, barring something like Gabe Davis being a stunning returner (which he has shown no indication of) that Roberts is locked in. 

It's not just the player, it's the roster and investment they have made around it

16 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

A little early in the off-season to say no chance IMO.

If Hodgins and McKenzie or Williams both prove too good to cut or important for the offense, Roberts should be the odd man out. It seems unlikely the Bills keep 7 WR's and a top 10 KR unit isn't as do or die for playoff teams as a a top 10 offense is.

I was curious to see the difference so here it is, KR yards vs PTS/G teams.

2019 Playoffs:
Top 10 KR teams: 3
Top 10 Offense: 8

2018 Playoffs:
Top 10 Passing  Offense: 8

2017 Playoffs:
Top 10 Passing Offense: 8

Bills are big on Special Teams, McDermott is one of those coaches that believes that ST is the backbone to a team. Good field position is key and winning that through ST. I wouldn't be surprised that they keep 7 as they did in years past. I am not sold on Mckenzie offering anything on offense anymore, the jet sweep was used very little last year giving them 8 snaps at running the ball. Foster Duke Mckenzie Hodgins and possibly Davis fighting for 2-3 spots is possible. As much as e fans want the under dog story to happen, Hodgins might not be a lock on the roster just like Mckenzie. I wouldnt be surprised if they move on from foster and mckenzie keep Taiwan Jones as a gunner and back up to Andre Roberts in punt returns and be the 2nd guy back there with Roberts on kick offs. 

Hodgins may be a guy that goes to Psquad and is 1 of the 2 that can be called up certain weeks.

13 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

Personally I think he is one of the safest spots on the roster. We don't have an even half decent alternative, it's one of the biggest drop off of any positions on the team. 

Hyde is a alternative if you simply want a safe catch. But Mckenzie was a liability and the fact they went and spent the money they did in the off season on pure special teamers suggests to me he is, barring something like Gabe Davis being a stunning returner (which he has shown no indication of) that Roberts is locked in. 

It's not just the player, it's the roster and investment they have made around it

I agree about McKenzie. He just does not have it as a PR.  

Dane Jackson may be a guy who surprised and cements his spot this season as a special teamer, specifically PR.