Roster Expectations

soflbillsfan

7 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Bills are big on Special Teams, McDermott is one of those coaches that believes that ST is the backbone to a team. Good field position is key and winning that through ST. I wouldn't be surprised that they keep 7 as they did in years past. I am not sold on Mckenzie offering anything on offense anymore, the jet sweep was used very little last year giving them 8 snaps at running the ball. Foster Duke Mckenzie Hodgins and possibly Davis fighting for 2-3 spots is possible. As much as e fans want the under dog story to happen, Hodgins might not be a lock on the roster just like Mckenzie. I wouldnt be surprised if they move on from foster and mckenzie keep Taiwan Jones as a gunner and back up to Andre Roberts in punt returns and be the 2nd guy back there with Roberts on kick offs. 

Hodgins may be a guy that goes to Psquad and is 1 of the 2 that can be called up certain weeks.

I think the jet sweep will still be used but Diggs could be getting those looks. IMO Hodgins would have to be really behind the 8 ball or suffer an injury not to make the roster. Even if he is redshirted and is just inactive every week. I can't see the Bills subjecting him to waivers at the end of August.

Foster is a gonner for sure. I think Duke, McKenzie and Roberts are fighting for one last spot and it'll come down to how the staff wants the roster to be built. If they do keep 7 WR's, I imagine we only keep 3 TE's. 

9 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I agree about McKenzie. He just does not have it as a PR.  

Dane Jackson may be a guy who surprised and cements his spot this season as a special teamer, specifically PR.

Something like that is the only conceivable way that Roberts isnt on the roster. They won't get rid unless a rookie emerges 

Andre Roberts is making 2 mil this year hes not breaking the bank and is a top 4 KR last year in the league. He was a pro bowler prior to that even if he is only good at KR its better that he is the 6/7 wr on the team contributing at a high level with ST then a WR who will see a handful of snaps on offense a game. Cutting Andre and keeping Isiah will be a cost of $1.5 mil, cutting Isiah and keeping Andre will cost the bills 2.2 mil so I am all for paying the 700k to keep Roberts and have him do what he does and let Mckenzie go. I liked Mckenzie the last 2 years but the bills have upgraded at his position and his skill set just is inferior to those guys in order to say he deserves a spot over a top 4 KR in the league

8 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Andre Roberts is making 2 mil this year hes not breaking the bank and is a top 4 KR last year in the league. He was a pro bowler prior to that even if he is only good at KR its better that he is the 6/7 wr on the team contributing at a high level with ST then a WR who will see a handful of snaps on offense a game. Cutting Andre and keeping Isiah will be a cost of $1.5 mil, cutting Isiah and keeping Andre will cost the bills 2.2 mil so I am all for paying the 700k to keep Roberts and have him do what he does and let Mckenzie go. I liked Mckenzie the last 2 years but the bills have upgraded at his position and his skill set just is inferior to those guys in order to say he deserves a spot over a top 4 KR in the league

Hard to argue with the economics of it.

Do you think Roberts could do the jet sweep stuff?

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Hard to argue with the economics of it.

Do you think Roberts could do the jet sweep stuff?

Dont think so but you mentioned diggs doing It. If not they can always try john brown as he has the speed at times. I honestly cant remember the last time I was comfortable going in to the season with this type of wr corps. Sammy was always injured so you can never expect him to be a full go, he had his best year as a bill but the injuries didnt give many confidence to think he would be able to sustain an entire season. Robert Woods and Chris Hogan werent on the level of talent the bills have right now. I think the last solid consistent talent at wr was Peerless Price and Eric Moulds. Maybe you can argue TO and Stevie but that was for one season and on the tail end of TOs career. Lee Evans came towards the end of Moulds career in Buffalo and left right when Stevie was turning it on. So your talking 15 years without a solid wr corps who consistently played each game.

30 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Dont think so but you mentioned diggs doing It. If not they can always try john brown as he has the speed at times. I honestly cant remember the last time I was comfortable going in to the season with this type of wr corps. Sammy was always injured so you can never expect him to be a full go, he had his best year as a bill but the injuries didnt give many confidence to think he would be able to sustain an entire season. Robert Woods and Chris Hogan werent on the level of talent the bills have right now. I think the last solid consistent talent at wr was Peerless Price and Eric Moulds. Maybe you can argue TO and Stevie but that was for one season and on the tail end of TOs career. Lee Evans came towards the end of Moulds career in Buffalo and left right when Stevie was turning it on. So your talking 15 years without a solid wr corps who consistently played each game.

They were playing the 2009 Buf vs NE Monday night game that Leodis choked away with a fumble late in the game. It was fund to remember all the old faces, but that team had TO, Lee Evans, and Stevie Johnson. Stevie only played in 5 games that year, but that was a nice trio.

10 minutes ago, Maxmw22 said:

They were playing the 2009 Buf vs NE Monday night game that Leodis choked away with a fumble late in the game. It was fund to remember all the old faces, but that team had TO, Lee Evans, and Stevie Johnson. Stevie only played in 5 games that year, but that was a nice trio.

haha so 10 seasons of a weak wr corps is pretty scary if you think about it. I think this trio will be fun to watch. I just hope guys like Knox can step up and be something with them and the RB corps have a solid season. If Allen plays it right they could have a solid offense this year.

8 hours ago, Maxmw22 said:

I'll never forgive Buddy Nix for saying T.O was done and not bringing him back despite Owens wanting to return.

A Gailey offense with Fitz, Owens, Evans and Stevie would have been fun.

7 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

haha so 10 seasons of a weak wr corps is pretty scary if you think about it. I think this trio will be fun to watch. I just hope guys like Knox can step up and be something with them and the RB corps have a solid season. If Allen plays it right they could have a solid offense this year.

If this trend continues and with the pieces we added, this offense could take off. 

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

It all depends if he filed his retirement papers. If he did then its not as easy as just signing back up.

Yeah I have no idea if he officially filed his papers or not. Being a free agent may have given him the option to just “sit out “ without actually having to retire officially.

• 2 months later...

Updated 53 with known opt outs and potential for PS protected spots

QB: Allen, Barkley
RB: Singletary, Moss, Jones
FB: Dimarco
TE: Knox, Kroft, Smith, Sweeney
WR: Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, McKenzie, Roberts
LT: Dawkins, Nsekhe
LG: Spain
C Morse, Long
RG: Feliciano, Boehm
RT: Ford, Williams, Bates

DE: Hughes,  Jefferson D. Johnson
DT: Phillips, Taylor
DT: Oliver, Butler
DE: Addison, Epenesa
LB: Milano, Thompson
LB: Edmunds, 
LB: Klein, Matakevich
CB: White, Normal, Johnson, Wallace, Gaines
S: Poyer, Marlowe, Neal
S: Hyde, Johnson

K: Hauschka
P: Vedvik
LS: Ferguson

4 Protected PS:
QB Jake Fromm
WR Isiah Hodgins
CB Dane Jackson
K Tyler Bass

Just Missed:
RB TJ Yeldon
LB Vosean Joseph
WR Robert Foster
DE Mike Love

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Updated 53 with known opt outs and potential for PS protected spots

QB: Allen, Barkley
RB: Singletary, Moss, Jones
FB: Dimarco
TE: Knox, Kroft, Smith, Sweeney
WR: Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, McKenzie, Roberts
LT: Dawkins, Nsekhe
LG: Spain
C Morse, Long
RG: Feliciano, Boehm
RT: Ford, Williams, Bates

DE: Hughes,  Jefferson D. Johnson
DT: Phillips, Taylor
DT: Oliver, Butler
DE: Addison, Epenesa
LB: Milano, Thompson
LB: Edmunds, 
LB: Klein, Matakevich
CB: White, Normal, Johnson, Wallace, Gaines
S: Poyer, Marlowe, Neal
S: Hyde, Johnson

K: Hauschka
P: Vedvik
LS: Ferguson

4 Protected PS:
QB Jake Fromm
WR Isiah Hodgins
CB Dane Jackson
K Tyler Bass

Just Missed:
RB TJ Yeldon
LB Vosean Joseph
WR Robert Foster
DE Mike Love

Over all I like the roster however I am not sure we carry 10 olineman I believe at most it will be 8. If long sticks around then I do not see the purpose of keeping Boehm. Also having 3 back up OTs isnt something I have heard of keeping either. If Morse goes down Feliciano stepped in to play Center last year for the limited time. If that was the case then I would see Ford slide in to play RG. With Long's price tag they can move on from him by clearing 2.4 mil. I think Long is someone who will be looked at as a roster bubble spot unless Daryl Williams completely disappoints I think Long will be the odd man out on the Oline.

As for Dline both Hughes and Addison play the RDE. I am sure Addison can play LDE but I do not see him as a true pass rusher on that side of the ball. I see quinton Jefferson more of the LDE then Addison with both Hughes and Addison rotating at RDE and Quinton Espenesa rotating at LDE. Also Butler is more of a 1 tech DT then a 3 DT so I see him pushing Harrison for the starting spot and at times Jefferson coming in to play the 3 tech DT as he is versatile in a sense. Again just dont see them keeping 9 dlineman as the past has shown they roll with 7 and at one point 8. 

All in all I think this is good and I am curious to see if Hauschmoney stays on as they can clear 1.8 mil by cutting him. I know that they have 4 psquad protections but you do not spend a 6th rd pick on a kicker to have him sit. Unless injury happens I just do not see Hausch making the roster.

Keep in mind the salary is projected to go down next year and they have guys like Dawkins, Tre and Milano that need to be extended which will be tough with the limited cap amount so these small cuts this year will mean they can roll it in to next year to help out in that cap issue. Smith, Long, Hausch, and Murphy are 4 guys that can as easily make the roster because of circumstances with COVID and a short offseason but also be cut because of cap cost for long term assistance. 

UPDATE: Well now that Feliciano just had chest surgery and is projected to be out half if not the full season looks like long will stick on. This sucks cause the oline just got a lot weaker, even if Ford steps in at RG Feliciano was a solid player on that line.

Edited by soflbillsfan