2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

15 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If and it's a big IF David Irving returns to form and looks like our starting 3T going forward, I hope that we resign Johnathan Hankins and throw a big deal at Justin Simmons in free agency. Then use our 1st round pick on Jevon Holland who's a NCB/S hybrid we could move all over the field. 

CB1 - Mullen

CB2 - Arnette

NCB - Holland

SS - Abram

FS - Simmons

That looks really good. I remember reading it’s a good free agent safety class. Hopefully Irving just lights it up for us. It’s 50/50 could change needs: 
R1- FS  R2- RT R3- LB/NT

getting aFS and Edge In free agency, would be amazing for the defense

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

That looks really good. I remember reading it’s a good free agent safety class. 

Anthony Harris, Justin Simmons, and Marcus Maye are all set to be free agents this year.

FS, DT, and Edge could all be big needs or just minor needs depending on trades we make and/or how our guys develop. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we can't land a top safety and we don't move Joyner there (facepalm), Andre Cisco would be a great option in the mid-late first. He reminds me a lot of Juan Thornhill, who I like a lot.

I can’t see a scenario where we keep Joyner.  Joyner, Tyrell Williams, Marcus Mariota are all almost certain to be gone while Trent “Covid” Brown, Gabe Jackson OR Incognito are likely to be cut and Heath  + Nassib (despite his dead cap hit, it might be worth eating 5.75M to free up 3.5M) have a good chance of being cut.

were basically right at the cap limit (if you include the ‘20 cap carry over as of today) so we definitely need to free up money.  Joyner, Mariota, and Williams would give us enough to resign the few FAs we have plus the draft class and some cheap FAs.  But given the fact that with a bunch of teams are in cap hell and almost all teams will really feel the cap crunch of the lowered salary cap.... I’d guess there will be some good deals available in FA.  

id like to see us target 1-2 Good starters (not necessarily 10M+ APY contracts) early in FA and then a few depth pieces after the money dries up and there are good values.   Id target a FS at the bottom of the first tier... one that might end up being a “discounted” contract.

I like Cisco a lot.  He’s more of the classic FS while Jevon Holland is more of a playmaker who moves around.  There’s just so many Safeties available in the draft and FA it’s hard to really lock onto just one right now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we can't land a top safety and we don't move Joyner there (facepalm), Andre Cisco would be a great option in the mid-late first. He reminds me a lot of Juan Thornhill, who I like a lot.

I absolutely love Cisco, his recent injury (I believe he's missing the rest of the season) will probably push him down the board as well. We might be able to grab him in the second round to be honest. 

Trevon Moehrig and Richard LeCounte III are two other safeties that I like who should be available in the 2nd/3rd round. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I like Cisco a lot.  He’s more of the classic FS while Jevon Holland is more of a playmaker who moves around.  There’s just so many Safeties available in the draft and FA it’s hard to really lock onto just one right now.

One of my dream scenarios is to sign Justin Simmons in free agency and then land Holland in the 2nd round. Use Holland all over the field but primarily as a slot CB that can move back to S if we bring Abram into the box. 

CB1 - Mullen

CB2 - Arnette 

CB3/S3 - Holland

SS - Abram

FS - Simmons

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I absolutely love Cisco, his recent injury (I believe he's missing the rest of the season) will probably push him down the board as well. We might be able to grab him in the second round to be honest. 

Trevon Moehrig and Richard LeCounte III are two other safeties that I like who should be available in the 2nd/3rd round. 

If we could grab Cisco in the 2nd (if the 3rd, I'd lose my mind, but I digress), I'd be ecstatic.

21 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I can’t see a scenario where we keep Joyner.  Joyner, Tyrell Williams, Marcus Mariota are all almost certain to be gone while Trent “Covid” Brown, Gabe Jackson OR Incognito are likely to be cut and Heath  + Nassib (despite his dead cap hit, it might be worth eating 5.75M to free up 3.5M) have a good chance of being cut.

were basically right at the cap limit (if you include the ‘20 cap carry over as of today) so we definitely need to free up money.  Joyner, Mariota, and Williams would give us enough to resign the few FAs we have plus the draft class and some cheap FAs.  But given the fact that with a bunch of teams are in cap hell and almost all teams will really feel the cap crunch of the lowered salary cap.... I’d guess there will be some good deals available in FA.  

id like to see us target 1-2 Good starters (not necessarily 10M+ APY contracts) early in FA and then a few depth pieces after the money dries up and there are good values.   Id target a FS at the bottom of the first tier... one that might end up being a “discounted” contract.

Holland reminds me more of the mathieu style who can drop down into the slot sometimes.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

One of my dream scenarios is to sign Justin Simmons in free agency and then land Holland in the 2nd round. Use Holland all over the field but primarily as a slot CB that can move back to S if we bring Abram into the box. 

CB1 - Mullen

CB2 - Arnette 

CB3/S3 - Holland

SS - Abram

FS - Simmons

Have we all given up on Robertson being the slot CB next year.  Your plan is something I would really really like to see happen.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Holland reminds me more of the mathieu style who can drop down into the slot sometimes.

Yes... holland plays differently but projects to play the same role within a defense.

im glad everyone’s coming around on holland.... I’ve been big on him for a while.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Have we all given up on Robertson being the slot CB next year.  Your plan is something I would really really like to see happen.

Yes... holland plays differently but projects to play the same role within a defense.

im glad everyone’s coming around on holland.... I’ve been big on him for a while.

I haven't given up on Robertson for sure. I just think in general, assembling a formidable secondary like Denver did back in the day can make a team very one dimensional.

23 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I haven't given up on Robertson for sure. I just think in general, assembling a formidable secondary like Denver did back in the day can make a team very one dimensional.

Oh that comment was meant for the other person not you.  But I’m glad you chimes in as well.  Yeah.... Robertson just needs some time.  Joyner has actually played decent imo.... which is why Robertson hasn’t been on the field much.  I think if this was Joyners first year on the team we’d be happy with his play (but hopeful it improved).... but because he was so bad last year (which I think was overblown and there were valid reasons for) the fans aren’t giving Joyner the props he deserves.  Sucks no matter how he plays he’s most likely cut this offseason, unless He takes a paycut down to like 4-5M.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Raiders need to invest heavily into the DL with this draft. Cant care about the feelings of Maxx and Ferrell. Need to bring in a bendable/Twitchy pass rusher and a big body to replace Hankins at DT.

I don't think we replace hankins with another nose. If anything we run 2 penetrating type DT's after drafting one.

I want a twitchy edge rusher I agree. Someone with more speed who can catch mahomes/more mobile qb's. Kwity Paye comes to mind.

• Like 1