2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Ferrell was way better in college and ranked higher by everyone coming into the draft. Everyone had a 1st round grade on Ferrell while everyone has a 2nd round grade on Basham. 

I’m referring to how Ferrell didn’t play inside in college(which is why that transition is been coming along slowly). Meanwhile Basham is translates to a player that is played inside and outside. 

And also I think I’ve mentioned this to you before but I’m not really a big projection guy. Mitch Trubisky was projected really high. So was Jared Goff. 

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Ferrell is still coming along. He’s gonna be a pretty good player, just never a great one.

I agree. I think the injuries and COVID set him back this past year. His rookie year he had 4.5 sack which was the same as Khalil Mack his rookie year. 

9 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

And also I think I’ve mentioned this to you before but I’m not really a big projection guy. Mitch Trubisky was projected really high. So was Jared Goff. 

Isn't Basham more of a projection guy though? 

Ferrell was the ACC DPOY and won the Ted Hendricks Award (Best DE in the country) as a senior. And in 44 games in college he had 166 tackles, 50.5 TFL, and 27 sacks. 

In 42 games in the same conference Basham had 173 tackles, 35.5 TFL, and 19.5 sacks. 

Over the last two seasons Basham played 93% of his snaps at DE and 7% of his snaps inside. 

Edited by NYRaider

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

I agree. I think the injuries and COVID set him back this past year. His rookie year he had 4.5 sack which was the same as Khalil Mack his rookie year. 

That is the only thing he has in common with Mack.  I still think Ferrell can be a good player but he was over drafted and will never be in the same universe as Mack despite what cherry picked stats say.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Isn't Basham more of a projection guy though? 

Ferrell was the ACC DPOY and won the Ted Hendricks Award (Best DE in the country) as a senior. And in 44 games in college he had 166 tackles, 50.5 TFL, and 27 sacks. 

In 42 games in the same conference Basham had 173 tackles, 35.5 TFL, and 19.5 sacks. 

Over the last two seasons Basham played 93% of his snaps at DE and 7% of his snaps inside. 

Everything your saying about Ferrell I’ve probably said on here to someone else at least 5 times. Clelin Ferrell was really good in college. I am referring to how the raiders wanted to use them inside and outside. You’re not gonna find me tape of him playing inside ever in college. 

Basham has really good film of him playing both inside and outside at the senior bowl. I’m not talking about percentages I’m talking about film.

Just just for the record Ferrell was a junior when he got drafted

Edited by Jeremy408

17 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

That is the only thing he has in common with Mack.  I still think Ferrell can be a good player but he was over drafted and will never be in the same universe as Mack despite what cherry picked stats say.  

For clarification, I wasn’t comparing him to Mack in that sense. I was just making the point that his rookie season wasn’t as bad as everybody makes it out to be. 

I also thought that last year he never really found his groove due to a combination of Injuries and COVID.

But I feel like this year for him is no more built in excuses he’s got to make something happen.  

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I wasn’t comparing him to Mack in that sense. I was just making the point that his rookie season wasn’t as bad as everybody makes it out to be. 

I also thought that last year he never really found his groove due to a combination of Injuries and COVID.

But I feel like this year for him is no more built in excuses he’s got to make something happen.  

exactly, I guess it's normal human nature to get online and bash your favorite team if they didn't win a super bowl. I still thin Ferrell can be a 8-10 sack guy, and make an impact. sure there were better picks, but I don't think Ferrell is a scrub

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Basham has really good film of him playing both inside and outside at the senior bowl. I’m not talking about percentages I’m talking about film.

So one week of film at the Senior Bowl is more valuable than what he did over the course of two seasons in actual games?

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Jack Del Rio, Bill Musgrave, KNJ, and Reggie McKenzie's 3 years together were as successful as John Lynch, Kyle Shanahan, and Robert Saleh's 4 years together, sans the Super Bowl appearance but Carr got hurt late in the year the one season we had a chance to make a run. 

JDR only has 1 fewer double digit win season than Gruden, who also has 2 more years of HC experience and got the bulk of his "prestige" with Dungy's team. 

JDR, imo, is a better HC than Chucky and the Alien Chucky who hired him made a mistake letting JDR go. 

The wheels eventually fell off for him in Jacksonville, but in Carr he had a QB Garrard and Leftwitch wish they could've been. 

2016 was a marvelous year and I fully believe we were in plenty position to continue building off of it despite 2017 being a downer. 

So if you're gonna talk about Kyle Shanahan being underwhelming, you leave Jack out of it. Dude turned 2 dumpster fires into respectable organizations and got shafted for a shiny new toy. Lol. (I will defend that guy until my last breath. I HATED Mark for firing him.)

(Also, I know your point wasn't defending Gruden. I just get triggered when del Rio gets brought up lol)

Edited by ronjon1990

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'd be stoked with Phillips at #17 even with the injury concerns. Basham would just be another Ferrell. 

You'd be stoked with Phillips at 17 who is a hit to the head away from early retirement.  But you have a problem with Farley at 17 because of an injured back? Make sense. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

So one week of film at the Senior Bowl is more valuable than what he did over the course of two seasons in actual games?

This might come as a shock to you..... but some college players project as better professional players.

Comparing a player from a powerhouse program like Clemson, to a a school like Wake Forest is just dumb. 

College stats and accolades are meaningless to a player NFL projections.

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Clelin Ferrell did it 0 times in college. And we drafted him fourth overall to find out if he could. 

Edited by Jeremy408