2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Lawerence and Fields are clearly the top two QB prospects heading into the season but after those 2 there are some other interesting prospects. 

Trey Lance (RS Soph. NDSU) - He lit the FCS up last season as a RS Freshman racking up 2,800 passing yards (66% comp), 28 TD, with 0 INT while rushing for 1,110 yards and 14 TD. He was the offensive player of the year, a 1st team All-American, and led NDSU to a 16-0 season and a national championship. He's 6'3" 225 with a strong arm, good mobility, a quick release, and nice touch/accuracy on his passes at all 3 levels. A guy that I think could potentially be a top 10 pick and the consensus QB3 with another strong season. 

Jamie Newman (Sr. UGA) - He has all of the physical tools you look for in a modern quarterback. He has a strong arm, average accuracy, and is mobile in and out of the pocket, especially for a guy his size. He's going from one of the least talented Power 5 programs to one of the most talented programs in the country making the transfer from Wake Forest to Georgia. He'll have to clean up his decision making but he has first round potential. 

KJ Costello (Sr. MSU) - Prototypical pocket passer with good size, athleticism, and arm strength. He had some injury issues and problems with turnovers at Stanford but he has all of the tools. It'll be interesting to see how he plays in Mike Leach's air raid offense after playing in a pro style attack during his time at Stanford. With a strong year in the SEC he could definitely elevate himself into the first round. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy how much youth on this team        (27 and under) 

QB: Mariota (26)

RB: Jacobs (22), Bowden (22), Booker(27), Richard (26)

FB: Ingold (23)

WR: Ruggs (21),  Renfrow (24), Edwards(21), Z Jones (25), Agholor (26), K Doss (24), Ateman (25), Gafford (23), Pierson El (24), Ratliff-Williams (22), Mariner (24)

TE: Waller (27), Moreau (23), O Leary (27)

T: Miller (24), Brown (27),  Sharpe (24), Parker (24) 

G: Simpson(22), Cotton (24), Seymour(23)

C: Magnuson(26), James (23)

DE: Ferrell (23), Crosby (22), Key (24), Nassib (27), Aruna (26), Valoaga (25)

DT: Collins (25), Hurst(25), Hall (25), Ross (27), Panasiuk(22)

OLB: Littleton (26), Morrow (24), Muse (23), Phillips (24), Eligwe (26)

MLB: Kwiatkoski (26), Lee (24), Usher 25

CB: Mullen (22), Arnette (24), Johnson (24), Robertson (21), Killings (24), Crawley (27), Nixon (22), Mabin (22), Nelson (23), Brown (24), Harper (22)

S: Abram (23), Randall (27)

we have so much young talent across the board. Of course not all the guys will make the team, but what a talent overhaul since Gruden became the coach. 

• Like 1

Lawrence, Fields and Lance next year . Continuing the trend of athletic QBs who can improvise and make plays with their feet as well as their arms. This is the way the NFL is trending. 

Pure pocket statue QBs like DC are going out of style. Look at the playoffs last year. I would say 9 out of the 12 playoff teams had athletic QBs who can make plays with their arm and legs.

I see biggest bees going into the 2021 draft: 
- FS

let’s see how Randall performs this year 

- DT

I have confidence in Collins, but let’s see him earn a new contract. Also could see this being the make or break year for Hall or Hurst. They probably be on the team the duration of their contract but this the year to see if can become solid starters or just career reserves. 

- G

Gabe could have a bounce back year, or he could take take a pay cut. 

- LB

still could use a stud 3rd developmental LB. If Littleton or Kwit get hurt, defense would have a big hole again. A LB with edge pass rush ability would be optimal. 

Love the 2021 CB class so much talent and has so much depth. Wade from Ohio State is my favorite love the ways he plays. We really shouldn't be in the market for a CB next year but if they're 2021 is the draft you will want to get one.

WR class is not as deep, but it's very top-heavy with Chase and Ross and then Waddle and Smith.

Looking forward to seeing how Newman does with Georgia. They botched the handling of Fields and now get Newman. Newman gonna be an interesting prospect mobile showed a nice arm in previous seasons. 

I see our 2021 Needs as.....

Major Needs: FS, DT

Probable MidLevel Needs: SAM

Minor Needs: depth across the board, replace players we lost from ‘20 team

Free Agents: (Excluding players not likely to make the ‘20 team)

Hankins+Collins DT:  Hankins likely get 2y extension before FA, Collins is just a very good rental unless he plays exceptionally well.  With so few holes, we’ll likely target a top DT in draft or FA to fill DL group.

Morrow+Lee LB:  depends how they play this year

Randall+Harris S:  same as LB’s... I think Harris gets extended before FA and Randall’s a one year rental and we draft a FS in rounds 1-2

Good+Sharpe+Devey/Kush OL:  prolly resign Good+Sharpe if they don’t get big offers elsewhere 

Amukamara+Lawson CB:  who knows, if we don’t resign one we’ll sign a comparable veteran to lead the (still) young CB group

Z.Jones+Agholor WR:  just like with CBS, we might resign one of them or none and find a new vet FA

Witten+Carrier TE: Witten retires and Carrier prolly isn’t even on ‘20 team

Booker RB: might not even make ‘20 team but he’s a 1yr rental if he does 

Comment: we don’t have many FAs and no major ones.  We’ll be able to keep who we want.

Possible Cap Cuts / Various Reason Release + Retire:

Carr/Mariota QB-  ones staying and ones going to get released or traded

Williams WR-  depends how he plays.  If he doesn’t play up to his 11.6M cap hit (no dead cap) we’d likely cut him and replace him with a veteran.

Joyner sCB-  unless he becomes a top slot CB he’s gone.  Robertson should replace him in ‘21.

Jackson+Incognito G- I think incognito plays in ‘21 but he could retire before.  It’ll take a PB season from Jackson to be on the team in ‘21.  Simpson should replace him.

Heath S- 3.15M cap hit ... I think he stays but because of ST but could be cut

• Like 3

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Love the 2021 CB class so much talent and has so much depth. Wade from Ohio State is my favorite love the ways he plays. We really shouldn't be in the market for a CB next year but if they're 2021 is the draft you will want to get one.

WR class is not as deep, but it's very top-heavy with Chase and Ross and then Waddle and Smith.

Looking forward to seeing how Newman does with Georgia. They botched the handling of Fields and now get Newman. Newman gonna be an interesting prospect mobile showed a nice arm in previous seasons. 

If NFL allowed the players to change their minds for Supplemental Draft I'd put a 2nd out for Wade. Like a Fitzpatrick who could fill in all over as a rookie and start at FS/CB if can beat out his former team mate or Mullens. Be funny if Arnette balled andWade too making Mullen our back up CB. An excellent problem to have. Wade at FS next year and we'd have the youngest and talented DB's for years. :D Amik be in there fighting for reps too. LB's?!? We don't need no stinking LB's!!!  LOL 

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Hopes that Arnette pick works out, as he isn’t a starter and I Johnson going be pushing him. Hope I’m wrong in wanting Chaisson of Murray over him. 

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Hankins+Collins DT:  Hankins likely get 2y extension before FA, Collins is just a very good rental unless he plays exceptionally well.  With so few holes, we’ll likely target a top DT in draft or FA to fill DL group.

Randall+Harris S:  same as LB’s... I think Harris gets extended before FA and Randall’s a one year rental and we draft a FS in rounds 1-2

Good+Sharpe+Devey/Kush OL:  prolly resign Good+Sharpe if they don’t get big offers elsewhere 

Amukamara+Lawson CB:  who knows, if we don’t resign one we’ll sign a comparable veteran to lead the (still) young CB group

Z.Jones+Agholor WR:  just like with CBS, we might resign one of them or none and find a new vet FA

Comment: we don’t have many FAs and no major ones.  We’ll be able to keep who we want.

Williams WR-  depends how he plays.  If he doesn’t play up to his 11.6M cap hit (no dead cap) we’d likely cut him and replace him with a veteran.

Joyner sCB-  unless he becomes a top slot CB he’s gone.  Robertson should replace him in ‘21.

Jackson+Incognito G- I think incognito plays in ‘21 but he could retire before.  It’ll take a PB season from Jackson to be on the team in ‘21.  Simpson should replace him.

Cuts I see unless they ball out of control:

- Joyner, Williams, Jackson - Jackson could take a pay cut or Kick rocks. He might have a bounce back year. 

- Erik Harris going be 30- I could see us going with a young player with higher ceiling

- health - staff must like him to give him a deal in beginning in free agency 

- lee and morrow might be on their final season. Reggie guys 

- I have a good feeling Collins is going to ball out this year and get paid by the Raiders.  

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Because of cap flexibility (I think Joyner is a goner), we can easily resign Randall and Collins if they play well and warrant it. 

10 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I see biggest bees going into the 2021 draft: 
- FS

let’s see how Randall performs this year 

- DT

I have confidence in Collins, but let’s see him earn a new contract. Also could see this being the make or break year for Hall or Hurst. They probably be on the team the duration of their contract but this the year to see if can become solid starters or just career reserves. 

- G

Gabe could have a bounce back year, or he could take take a pay cut. 

- LB

still could use a stud 3rd developmental LB. If Littleton or Kwit get hurt, defense would have a big hole again. A LB with edge pass rush ability would be optimal. 

More make or break year for Hall than Hurst.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Because of cap flexibility (I think Joyner is a goner), we can easily resign Randall and Collins if they play well and warrant it. 

Yeah, very true.  I just think that unless both really play well we’ll end up drafting both spots in the top 2-3 rounds or signing a semi big name FA.  Collins is most likely to be retained because of his connections to coaches and he seems like an ascending player.  There are some gems At FS in the draft and some better FSs scheduled for FA like Marcus Williams, budda baker, Marcus Maye, Malik Hooker, Anthony Harris, Justin Simmons plus guys like Justin Evans, Keanu Neal, J.Tartt from SF, Jalen Mills, Haha Clinton-Dix, Sean Davis, Karl Joseph (not that we would want them but other teams will and the more talent out there the better chance for increasing the chances of landing a top guy for us).

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 6:08 AM, SilverNBlackFan said:

Lawrence, Fields and Lance next year . Continuing the trend of athletic QBs who can improvise and make plays with their feet as well as their arms. This is the way the NFL is trending. 

Brock Purdy and Jamie Newman are both mobile guys that have shown they can make plays out of the structure of the offense as well. Two other guys that could be 1st round prospects with strong seasons. 

I just find it crazy to talk about our '21 needs now with so many moveing parts and question marks...

You say S? What if Abram rocks the league and Randall seems like a quality FS? Then our S room with them and Harris+Heath will be among the best in the NFL...

You say DT? What if Collins and Hurst emerges as one fo the better pass rushing DT duos?

You say LB? If Cory and Kwia can be as good as we hope, that position will be in great shape

You say OG? What if Gabe finally stays healthy and plays like he can? What if Richie has another in the tank?

You say QB? What if Carr shows in year 3 that he can be everything we once hoped for?

Makes pretty much no sense to me to talk about our needs next year right now...

• Like 1