2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

On 5/22/2020 at 12:55 PM, Humble_Beast said:

- I have a good feeling Collins is going to ball out this year and get paid by the Raiders.  

It’s not that I don’t think Collins will play well enough to be brought back.  I’m just leaving the door open for us to make a splash FA signing at DT (Cameron Hayward, Leonard Williams (if he ever meets his potential in NY, Chris Jones (if KC can’t extend him), Sheldon Rankins, Kenny Clark, Dalvin Tomlinson, whoever gets cut) or draft a guy like Marvin Wilson in round 1.

As our team has less and less wholes and we’re still in good cap shape we may seek to add a higher quality DT to replace Collins, even if he plays as well as we all expect.

Will this definitely happen? Heck no! I’m just leaving the idea out there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

It’s not that I don’t think Collins will play well enough to be brought back.  I’m just leaving the door open for us to make a splash FA signing at DT (Cameron Hayward, Leonard Williams (if he ever meets his potential in NY, Chris Jones (if KC can’t extend him), Sheldon Rankins, Kenny Clark, Dalvin Tomlinson, whoever gets cut) or draft a guy like Marvin Wilson in round 1.

As our team has less and less wholes and we’re still in good cap shape we may seek to add a higher quality DT to replace Collins, even if he plays as well as we all expect.

I would definitely make a run at Rankins, Jones, or Clark if they hit the market.

My prediction is that we cut 1-2 vets (possibly Jackson and Joyner) and go BIG after whichever star player hits FA, whether it's one of the DT's, a CB/S, edge rusher, etc.

• Like 1

Just thinking about our possible strategy next offseason and it could be a little different than we've been used to. The last 2 offseasons we've invested in guys heading into their prime (like Williams or Brown) or younger guys who have upside (like Collins or Kwit). We've filled most roster holes and gotten some depth in areas we've been thin.

We dont have many obvious and severe holes on the roster if guys like Kwit, Arnette, Ruggs and Littleton work out well therefore as MrOaktown says above I can see us targeting a smaller number of real difference makers in FA and the draft, a signature player to highlight the pass rush or a ball hawking safety like Adams to put an exclamation mark on the D.

Maybe we'll take a slightly more high risk tactic in the draft by really targeting one or two high profile guys even trading up rather than using a lot of capital on depth and role players. I see us trying to emulate a team like the Ravens who make one or two good signings in FA and rely on drafting and keeping developing players in house. All dependant on us not drastically underwhelming this year if course!!! 

On 5/25/2020 at 5:14 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I would definitely make a run at Rankins, Jones, or Clark if they hit the market.

My prediction is that we cut 1-2 vets (possibly Jackson and Joyner) and go BIG after whichever star player hits FA, whether it's one of the DT's, a CB/S, edge rusher, etc.

Yeah, exactly we’ll cut dead weight and go after some big names... they might not be THE top FA at their position but they’ll be close.  That’s why I’m not totally onboard that Collins will be resigned if he plays good.... we may still want something better.  Also even if T. Williams plays well we may target a better WR.

being fiscally conservative for the most part the last few years, while still adding sone nice talent should leave us in position to make some big moves next FA to move into contender category.  Really, it’s the hitting on the mid round picks which has helped the most imo.  We have a nice part of the team contributing big ok small rookie deals.

Clemson should still win the ACC championship unless NC makes a huge jump but they also got a good young QB so you never know. But I don’t expect Clemson to be as dominate as before this year. They got the running game but so young at WR now with no Ross and the lack of practice time those WRs would usually get in the summer won’t be there. 

11 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

What if Randall, Collins, and Carr have pro bowl years. All our youth takes a step up and Ruggs and Edwards are the real deal. Would you draft in R1, R2, R3

It’s highly not likely Randall or Collins play at a pro bowl level.  I’d be happy if there just solid and consistent. 

On 5/25/2020 at 10:50 AM, jimkelly02 said:

Wonder where is we could make splash signing at? DT maybe WR? Just be loaded with weapons 

already have 

- stud RB

- stud TE 

- Ruggs , Edwards, Renfrow have a lot of potential 

- stud Tackle, and upcoming tackle 

- nice prospect We traded up in Simpson 

- Hudson still at an all pro level 

- two DEs with high ceilings 

- just signed two stud LBs and we run a lot of 4-2- 5 

- address corner in Mullen, Amik, and Arnette 

- Abram should be a cornerstone

I guess another splash would be CB or FS 

Edited by Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Wonder where is we could make splash signing at? DT maybe WR? Just be loaded with weapons 

already have 

- stud RB

- stud TE 

- Ruggs , Edwards, Renfrow have a lot of potential 

- stud Tackle, and upcoming tackle 

- nice prospect We traded up in Simpson 

- Hudson still at an all pro level 

- two DEs with high ceilings 

- just signed two stud LBs and we run a lot of 4-2- 5 

- address corner in Mullen, Amik, and Arnette 

- Abram should be a cornerstone

I guess another splash would be CB or FS 

Luckily there should be a good amount of FS’s in Free Agency next year.

https://overthecap.com/free-agency/

Justin Simmons, Anthony Harris 

Josh Johnson, Marcus Williams, Malik Hooker, Marcus Maye, Budda Baker,

plus more Ss then FS’s like J. Tartt, Justin Evans, and a few older vets that aren’t done 

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

Since it’s slow....

in the 2021 offseason I see us upgrading the team at FS + DT, and to a lesser extent possibly WR unless Williams balls out.

I think Randall+Collins will be good but not amazing and with the resources to upgrade for impact players at these positions we will do so.  I think we purposefully found confident stopgap players and signed them to 1 year deals so we can resign them if they play well or upgrade from them if the opportunity presents itself.  

Luckily for us there should be an abundance of talent at FS in both FA (as i went over before) and in the draft there are a few absolute stud ballhawks with elite range and coverage skills like Jevon Holland of Oregon and Andre Cisco of Syracuse (both JRs) .....
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jevon-holland-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/andre-cisco-1.html

.... plus a potentially few late first or 2nd round prospects like Texas’ Jr Caden Sterns,  Pittsburg Jr Paris Ford, Georgia Sr Richard Lecounte .....

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/caden-sterns-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/richard-lecounte-iii-1.html

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/football/roster/paris-ford/10760

.... and some 2nd/3rd round guys like UCF Sr Ritchie Grant, Washington State Sr Tariq Thompson, Auburn Jr Smoke Monday, 

https://ucfknights.com/sports/football/roster/richie-grant/10769

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tariq-thompson-2.html

https://auburntigers.com/sports/football/roster/smoke-monday/12872

.... not to mention a good depth and a few high end prospects at SS in the draft.

The depth at FS in FA and the draft should leave us with plenty of options and keep us from having to overpay/draft a player due to lack of options.  I’d love to draft Holland or Cisco in the late first or sign a FA Iike Justin Simmons (Denver) or Marcus Williams.... or even Anthony Harris (Minn) Josh Johnson (Rams), Budda Baker (Arizona), Malik Hooker (Colts).... even a guy like Marcus Maye (NYJ) Or etc would be an upgrade.

• Like 2