Humble_Beast

2021 NFL Draft Thread

On 5/22/2020 at 12:55 PM, Humble_Beast said:

- I have a good feeling Collins is going to ball out this year and get paid by the Raiders.  

It’s not that I don’t think Collins will play well enough to be brought back.  I’m just leaving the door open for us to make a splash FA signing at DT (Cameron Hayward, Leonard Williams (if he ever meets his potential in NY, Chris Jones (if KC can’t extend him), Sheldon Rankins, Kenny Clark, Dalvin Tomlinson, whoever gets cut) or draft a guy like Marvin Wilson in round 1.

As our team has less and less wholes and we’re still in good cap shape we may seek to add a higher quality DT to replace Collins, even if he plays as well as we all expect.

Will this definitely happen? Heck no! I’m just leaving the idea out there.

keeping my eye on the ojulari kid out of georgia i think he has some good potential

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

It’s not that I don’t think Collins will play well enough to be brought back.  I’m just leaving the door open for us to make a splash FA signing at DT (Cameron Hayward, Leonard Williams (if he ever meets his potential in NY, Chris Jones (if KC can’t extend him), Sheldon Rankins, Kenny Clark, Dalvin Tomlinson, whoever gets cut) or draft a guy like Marvin Wilson in round 1.

As our team has less and less wholes and we’re still in good cap shape we may seek to add a higher quality DT to replace Collins, even if he plays as well as we all expect.

Will this definitely happen? Heck no! I’m just leaving the idea out there.

I would definitely make a run at Rankins, Jones, or Clark if they hit the market.

My prediction is that we cut 1-2 vets (possibly Jackson and Joyner) and go BIG after whichever star player hits FA, whether it's one of the DT's, a CB/S, edge rusher, etc.

Just thinking about our possible strategy next offseason and it could be a little different than we've been used to. The last 2 offseasons we've invested in guys heading into their prime (like Williams or Brown) or younger guys who have upside (like Collins or Kwit). We've filled most roster holes and gotten some depth in areas we've been thin.

We dont have many obvious and severe holes on the roster if guys like Kwit, Arnette, Ruggs and Littleton work out well therefore as MrOaktown says above I can see us targeting a smaller number of real difference makers in FA and the draft, a signature player to highlight the pass rush or a ball hawking safety like Adams to put an exclamation mark on the D.

Maybe we'll take a slightly more high risk tactic in the draft by really targeting one or two high profile guys even trading up rather than using a lot of capital on depth and role players. I see us trying to emulate a team like the Ravens who make one or two good signings in FA and rely on drafting and keeping developing players in house. All dependant on us not drastically underwhelming this year if course!!! 

On 5/25/2020 at 5:14 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I would definitely make a run at Rankins, Jones, or Clark if they hit the market.

My prediction is that we cut 1-2 vets (possibly Jackson and Joyner) and go BIG after whichever star player hits FA, whether it's one of the DT's, a CB/S, edge rusher, etc.

Yeah, exactly we’ll cut dead weight and go after some big names... they might not be THE top FA at their position but they’ll be close.  That’s why I’m not totally onboard that Collins will be resigned if he plays good.... we may still want something better.  Also even if T. Williams plays well we may target a better WR.

being fiscally conservative for the most part the last few years, while still adding sone nice talent should leave us in position to make some big moves next FA to move into contender category.  Really, it’s the hitting on the mid round picks which has helped the most imo.  We have a nice part of the team contributing big ok small rookie deals.