2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

5 hours ago, 101Raider said:

1st: Zaven Collins SLB

Package out 3rd and Mariota for WFT’s or NE’s 2nd: Daviyon Nixon DT

2: Jevon Holland FS

I'm hoping Parsons slips to our pick at LB. I really like Collins on a trade down. 

5 hours ago, 101Raider said:

1st: Zaven Collins SLB

Package out 3rd and Mariota for WFT’s or NE’s 2nd: Daviyon Nixon DT

2: Jevon Holland FS

I like the two 2nd rounders but would much rather have one of the three CB's (Farely, Surtain or Horn) in the 1st round.  

I don't know much about Collins but I will say that SLB is not a position of impact unless that player is an elite pass rusher.  The only LB I would consider at 17 is Parsons.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I like the two 2nd rounders but would much rather have one of the three CB's (Farely, Surtain or Horn) in the 1st round.  

I don't know much about Collins but I will say that SLB is not a position of impact unless that player is an elite pass rusher.  The only LB I would consider at 17 is Parsons.

The SLB in Bradley's scheme is essentially a 3-4 OLB.  Melvin Ingram was his SLB in LA.  I wasn't aware of this until recently.  The athletic had a nice breakdown of personnel in Bradley's cover 3.  Essentially saying that Crosby will play LEO or weak side DE and Cle will play the strong side 2 gap DE. It is an interesting read.  But in the article the author says that the SLB might be the most important position to improve this offseason.  

I think Ojulari makes a ton of sense in round one.  And Parsons would be a dream come true.  But Collins might be a nice consolation.  Ossai or Jabril Cox in round 2 would be alright also. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SodakRaiders said:

The SLB in Bradley's scheme is essentially a 3-4 OLB.  Melvin Ingram was his SLB in LA.  I wasn't aware of this until recently.  The athletic had a nice breakdown of personnel in Bradley's cover 3.  Essentially saying that Crosby will play LEO or weak side DE and Cle will play the strong side 2 gap DE. It is an interesting read.  But in the article the author says that the SLB might be the most important position to improve this offseason.  

I think Ojulari makes a ton of sense in round one.  And Parsons would be a dream come true.  But Collins might be a nice consolation.  Ossai or Jabril Cox in round 2 would be alright also. 

I am pretty sure Ingram played the LEO.  Not saying he could not drop back and play the position sometimes but he was the 4th lineman.  From what I have read Bradley is going to want a lot of versatile tweener players.  I could see us going after players like Perryman, King, Jefferson, Addae, and of course Ingram.  They all fit some form of need on defense.  It would also ease the transition.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I am pretty sure Ingram played the LEO.  Not saying he could not drop back and play the position sometimes but he was the 4th lineman.  From what I have read Bradley is going to want a lot of versatile tweener players.  I could see us going after players like Perryman, King, Jefferson, Addae, and of course Ingram.  They all fit some form of need on defense.  It would also ease the transition.

Ingram played both positions 

Bosa also played both big end and Leo

Ferrell will play big end and 3T

Crosby will play Leo and maybe some SAM, maybe even some big end

The new speed rusher will play SAM and Leo 

• Like 1

If Jalen Philips passes his medical and is on the board at 17 do you take him?

In terms of talent and potential impact it's a no brainer.

Could Ferrell move inside full-time. Only issue i have taking an edge that can't play off ball IB is you'll struggle to get all our best players on the field at the same time.

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

Very much hinting at Azeez Ojulari?

7 hours ago, Rolni said:

You are right.  I went back and re-read the article and it said that he played that role "occasionally". 

I agree with you about Ferrell to a T. I doubt Crosby will play off of the ball much, but I definitely see him playing Leo and big end.  And I think you are spot on about the new rusher.

• Like 1

I did a mock simulator at https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/ which has trades and I did some trade downs and came away with:

51. Davion Nixon, DT Iowa
63. Liam Eichenberg, RT Notre Dame
67. Jevon Holland, S Oregon
98. Quinn Meinerz, OG/C Wisconsin-Whitewater
127. Jalen Twyman, DT Pitt
135. Paulson Adebo, CB Stanford
142. Marvin Wilson, DT Florida State
'22 HOU 2nd
'22 ARI 2nd
'22 KC 2nd
'22 PHI 3rd
'22 NO 3rd
'22 IND 4th
'22 BUF 4th
'22 GB 4th

Was fun to have a simulator that let trade down fantasies happen lol. I'd be hyped for 22.

14 hours ago, SodakRaiders said:

You are right.  I went back and re-read the article and it said that he played that role "occasionally". 

I agree with you about Ferrell to a T. I doubt Crosby will play off of the ball much, but I definitely see him playing Leo and big end.  And I think you are spot on about the new rusher.

The SAM is not an off ball role in this D most of the time.  

Obviously Crosby would play SAM when it is a rush duty.

5 hours ago, Rolni said:

The SAM is not an off ball role in this D most of the time.  

Obviously Crosby would play SAM when it is a rush duty.

I think Crosby will spend 85% of his time at Leo. He isn’t strong enough to play much more big end than he has to. He has a tough enough time holding up against the run playing one gap. And as far as playing Sam goes he might get a snap or two. Like you said. In very obvious rushing situations. 

The one defensive player I struggle the most with is Gregory Rousseau. Look at his size and his frame and his long arms and it’s everything you could ever want. 

But damn half of his plays he made was when he was lined up inside. When he did line up on the edge and rush he just won off his athletic ability didn’t really see any chop and rip didn’t see any swim move from the outside. Also when he lined up outside I will say majority of the time it was a stunt to the inside. I just don’t see how a team could draft him so high when I don’t know if he can actually win from the outside.

Definition of a boom of bust player. He scares the f$ck outta me

• Like 1