2021 NFL Draft Thread

21 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Paye generates amazing pressure though. He is mega disruptive and can be so much better too.

exactly, he can get better. he was good in college, and is a first round talent with potential like 1st rounders should be like. 

how you like this mock, from a good draft site 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-harris-5.0

1- Joseph Ossai Edge- I don't see much people mention him 

2- Wyatt Davis IOL, Ohio State

3- Cameron McGrone MLB

I really hope we draft another LB on day 2. I think Morrow is going be gone, I don't expect Muse to be more then a special teamer, so that leaves us with only 2 good LBs. I'm really high on McGrone 

Edited by Humble_Beast
23 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Some here trying to compare him to Ferrel are way off base.

Paye is going to develop into a really disruptive player. He has some dominate traits for the position 

I don’t think he looks like Ferrell at all. Way twitchier and pops out of his stance. Physically more sticky/compact than Ferrell too. Be interested to see how he tests. Shame there’s no combine!

Don’t know where that comp came from - but I’m seeing it quite a lot and I don’t get it?!?

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

how you like this mock, from a good draft site 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-harris-5.0

1- Joseph Ossai Edge- I don't see much people mention him 

2- Wyatt Davis IOL, Ohio State

3- Cameron McGrone MLB

I really hope we draft another LB on day 2. I think Morrow is going be gone, I don't expect Muse to be more then a special teamer, so that leaves us with only 2 good LBs. I'm really high on McGrone 

I think Ossai is personally a second round guy myself. Wouldn't mind him though if we don't go for an edge in the 1st. 

20 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Rousseau is about as raw as you can get. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. He scares the crap outta me. He is extremely stiff Rousseau wishes he could move and bend like JPP. Rousseau won based off his length in college he showed no pass rushing moves from the outside and when he actually lined up outside there designed stunts for him to go inside. You basically have to teach him everything from scratch which makes him a boom or bust cause with him he will either be out the league or a monster there is no in-between with him. He is also really slow to come off the LOS. Way to many negatives and not enough positives. 

He should have stayed in school and played this year. He needed those reps. Hope he spent the off time working on his game instead of slacking off. 

JPP was an imprecise comp, but I still like Rousseau. I disagree with the assertion that he is stiff--he has long limbs which limits his ability to dip below tackles, but has tremendous redirection ability, particularly when he has to close for the sack. I don't think it's fair to expect him to show traditional edge rusher traits at 6'7". He is a length and strength player who moves very well at his height.

Thinking about it more, I think David Irving is the closest comp for Rousseau--just because you don't see guys with a 6'6"+ profile come around that often. I am typically not a guy who likes undersized defensive tackles, but Rousseau does not let his lack of traditional interior weight show on the field. He routinely overpowers offensive linemen and there is definitely some raw material available for him to get better off the edge. But still, I expect him to be a very effective edge player, even if it's just on early downs.

When I evaluate edge players, I am looking more for athletic limitations than technical ones. I don't think Rousseau has the type of athletic limitations that will stop him from being effective from the edge--and I don't think those skills were showcased very well at Miami, for one reason or another. I am actually excited to see him have a chance to play with his ears pinned back from the edge more. That could be a very scary sight for offensive tackles.

On 2/26/2021 at 6:02 PM, Mr Raider said:

How many of those teams needed to draft a RT in the first round to get that quality RT play? 

I also don't think at positions like DE, CB, and LB are drafting over young players. Those are spots where 2 or even 3 good young players can play together and even benefit from having numerous good young players. Especially when they have a ton of versatility like a prospect that can play some LB and rush the passer. 

Wirfs, Ramczyk, and Conklin all went in the first round and were (importantly) effective from day one. And the question isn't just how many of them went in the first round, but how important were they tot heir team's success. The fact is, having a top level right tackle makes things a lot easier on offense. Gruden has said it himself how limiting it is to have inconsistent tackle play to an offense--the playbook condenses.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Wirfs, Ramczyk, and Conklin all went in the first round and were (importantly) effective from day one. And the question isn't just how many of them went in the first round, but how important were they tot heir team's success. The fact is, having a top level right tackle makes things a lot easier on offense. Gruden has said it himself how limiting it is to have inconsistent tackle play to an offense--the playbook condenses.

Fully agree here. RT is an extremely useful and underrated position in the 1st Round and we need a RT badly. Trent Brown is not the answer. RT might be the BPA available when it’s our turn to pick and I’d be completely ok with it if that’s the path we end up choosing. 

17. Christian Barmore | DT | Alabama

48. Trevon Moehrig | FS | TCU

80. Jabril Cox | LB | LSU

121. Trey Sermon | RB | Ohio State

163. Joshua Bledsoe | DB | Missouri

204. Shaka Toney | Edge | Penn State

242. Jonathan Adams Jr | WR | Arkansas State

Edited by NYRaider
On 2/27/2021 at 6:05 PM, Rich7sena said:

JPP was an imprecise comp, but I still like Rousseau. I disagree with the assertion that he is stiff--he has long limbs which limits his ability to dip below tackles, but has tremendous redirection ability, particularly when he has to close for the sack. I don't think it's fair to expect him to show traditional edge rusher traits at 6'7". He is a length and strength player who moves very well at his height.

Thinking about it more, I think David Irving is the closest comp for Rousseau--just because you don't see guys with a 6'6"+ profile come around that often. I am typically not a guy who likes undersized defensive tackles, but Rousseau does not let his lack of traditional interior weight show on the field. He routinely overpowers offensive linemen and there is definitely some raw material available for him to get better off the edge. But still, I expect him to be a very effective edge player, even if it's just on early downs.

When I evaluate edge players, I am looking more for athletic limitations than technical ones. I don't think Rousseau has the type of athletic limitations that will stop him from being effective from the edge--and I don't think those skills were showcased very well at Miami, for one reason or another. I am actually excited to see him have a chance to play with his ears pinned back from the edge more. That could be a very scary sight for offensive tackles.

Randy Gregory is probably a better match

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

17. Christian Barmore | DT | Alabama

48. Trevon Moehrig | FS | TCU

80. Jabril Cox | LB | LSU

121. Trey Sermon | RB | Ohio State

163. Joshua Bledsoe | DB | Missouri

204. Shaka Toney | Edge | Penn State

242. Jonathan Adams Jr | WR | Arkansas State

that would be perfect, sign in free agency to compliment: WR, RT, EDGE, S, CB

As much as I keep seeing Roussea/Payne getting mocked in the teens, I still think Ojulari is every bit as good as them, and I'd prefer him over either.

Watching him reminds me somewhat of Khalil Mack, in that he has way more play strength than his size would indicate. He's not nearly as stout against the run as Mack was in college (very few are), but he's not a liability in the run game, really, while also being an explosive speed rusher. at this point (still a ways to go in the process), sign me up for Ojulari at 17, and then trade back into the back of the first to snag Moehrig

He'd hold up fine as the LEO in Bradley's scheme (also would have worked wonders as an OLB in a Wade Phillips 3-4). here are some clips of him stonewalling some pulling guards

that whole thread by duffy... shows the upside you're looking at with him

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 4