2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

But we're stuck in this reality where we can't have nice things instead of being the most trigger happy, trade leery team in the Draft. 

Yes, the reality where trades don't happen just because you want them to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Physical tools + dominate tape down the stretch at the end of college career + dominate stats / accolades final year in school + dominant pro day (likely coming) = 2nd round pick at a premium position? As one of the youngest players in the class? We can target guys that dominated for years like Ferrell, Abram, and Arnette.  

How old is he? Can't find it anywhere

9 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Yes, the reality where trades don't happen just because you want them to.

Hardly about mere "want". 

It's a fact we have been ridiculously trade averse during the draft. Mayock has essentially backed that up by routinely claiming every objective reach was precisely who and where we wanted someome. 

Over the last 3 years, we've done little to move around the board until back end of the draft and consistently reaching, despite having plenty of tradable picks. Only a fool would still fall for the "we couldn't find a trade partner" excuse, as plenty of other teams have routinely moved around the board around us. Either we don't try, or we're so inept at gauging pick value (not a shocker) that we can't find anyone because we overprice like crazy. 

The only other plausible explanation is that we truly have taken exactly who we wanted and got them where we actually had them on the boards, in which case we're just that ridiculously inept at scouting and picking future players. 

Slice it however you prefer, but we have gotten fleeced by pretty much every trade we've made for a while, reached liked crazy in the Draft, and have as many as 9 starting holes to fill not counting guys who really could/should be replaced. That's a crap reality and given the resources we've expended over Grudock's reign, pretty pathetic and inexcusable for all but the most blindly apologetic.

2018:

#10 trade down

#41 trade down

#65 from a trade up

#79 traded for Bryant

#87 from a trade up

Every single pick in the first 3 rounds was traded or the result of a trade.

2019:

#35 trade down

#38 trade down

#66 traded for AB

#91 trade down

Conclusion. We didn't trade down in the first in the last 2 drafts = we're trade averse. Oversimplification, zero fact checkings.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Kolton Miller has been the best pick the last 3 years, and that pick took the most heat. 

5 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I still don't understand why you can see how athletic he was he just needed to get stronger.

I think the pick was appropriately criticized. People understood Miller was athletic but there was no guarantee he would develop. Given how risky any draft pick is, you want your first rounder to be "safer." Plus, it's not like there weren't blue-chippers at other positions when he was picked.

I, personally, didn't criticize the pick as much as others because I value the tackle position highly. However, I understood the criticism.

23 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I still don't understand why you can see how athletic he was he just needed to get stronger.

I remember reading something about how OTs that are his size and have his combine measurements essentially all turn into top tier OTs.  I think they compared him to like 2-3 OTs in the HOF.  I wasn't going to say anything when he first got to the league, I knew just looking at him that he didn't have the strength to hold up.  Both him and the team knew that, he's clearly bulked up, and he's definitely a really good OT.

10 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I remember reading something about how OTs that are his size and have his combine measurements essentially all turn into top tier OTs.  I think they compared him to like 2-3 OTs in the HOF.  I wasn't going to say anything when he first got to the league, I knew just looking at him that he didn't have the strength to hold up.  Both him and the team knew that, he's clearly bulked up, and he's definitely a really good OT.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/UCLAs-Kolton-Miller-Scott-Quessenberry-Show-Out-at-Day-1-of-2018-NFL-Scouting-Combine-115771465/

"You’d have to go all the way back to Jonathan Ogden in 1996 to find an all-around testing performance by an O-lineman that was on par with Miller and Quessenberry (Ogden had a 31” vert and a 113” broad as a 6’8” tackle)."

I wasn't going to bring this up.  I don't think he's as good as Ogden, but I remember reading it lol.

23 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

Basically confirming the pick if he's a reach

im reluctant to engage with this. after last year's draft i was admonished by some posters because i dared to call certain picks reaches, and i was emphatically told that "there was no such thing as a reach"

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

im reluctant to engage with this. after last year's draft i was admonished by some posters because i dared to call certain picks reaches, and i was emphatically told that "there was no such thing as a reach"

If there a reach according to the media then perform like they have. They are a reach. 

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

because people want instant gratification. Dude is huge, i seen him at a signing in NY and he dwarfed guys like Ferrell and Crosby, plus his physical skillset made him a great prospect. Time in an NFL weight room, with a quality OL coach like Cable(who everyone also hated) does wonders for guys like KM who has everything you want in a Franchise LT.