2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Kolton Miller has been the best pick the last 3 years, and that pick took the most heat. 

So the young guy with tools but just so-so production/tape ended up being better than all of the guys with great college tape/production and so-so physical tools. Hmm... It's almost as if the NFL draft is about what you will be a few years down the road rather than what you are right now. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

So the young guy with tools but just so-so production/tape ended up being better than all of the guys with great college tape/production and so-so physical tools. Hmm... It's almost as if the NFL draft is about what you will be a few years down the road rather than what you are right now. 

It doesn't seem like Barmore has exceptional tools, though.

From watching the DB's this year, I've come to this conclusion. We need to come away with Trevon Moehrig, Richie Grant, or Jevon Holland in the first 2 rounds, ideally the 2nd. Maybe Cisco.

Injuries at safety have killed us the most and I want us to have a 4 deep group. One of the best in the league. 3 safety looks are becoming more popular as well and we used it well vs the Chiefs last year. If i'm not mistaken Bowles did too.

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

From watching the DB's this year, I've come to this conclusion. We need to come away with Trevon Moehrig, Richie Grant, or Jevon Holland in the first 2 rounds, ideally the 2nd. Maybe Cisco.

Injuries at safety have killed us the most and I want us to have a 4 deep group. One of the best in the league. 3 safety looks are becoming more popular as well and we used it well vs the Chiefs last year. If i'm not mistaken Bowles did too.

It seems 2-3 is the sweet spot for safety. I also like Paris Ford and Tyree Gillespie. Even drafting one, I would hope the Raiders land one of the tope safeties in free agency.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

sometimes.

sometimes you go after the physical tools in lieu of production and wind up with vernon gholston

6 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

2018:

#10 trade down

#41 trade down

#65 from a trade up

#79 traded for Bryant

#87 from a trade up

Every single pick in the first 3 rounds was traded or the result of a trade.

2019:

#35 trade down

#38 trade down

#66 traded for AB

#91 trade down

Conclusion. We didn't trade down in the first in the last 2 drafts = we're trade averse. Oversimplification, zero fact checkings.

Conclusion: You're making an entirely different argument, basing said argument on pre-Draft trades, not trades made during the draft. Two very different things. Oversimplification, zero fact checking. 

Cool story though. It's why reading comprehension is so very important.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think the Miller pick took more heat because of how we moved around and did not draft.  The only time people judged Miller the player was when he had a horrible year as a rookie.  Nobody likes to say rookies are busts but Miller and Parker were awful.  Looks like the injury had more to do with it.  Looking back at how the trades worked out would you rather have Minkah at 10 or Miller at 15.  Serious question and not trying to argue your point because I agree.  I actually thought we should have move Miller to the right and had Parker on the left.  I still think that would have been a better decision.  You keep Penn on the left with Parker and you never sign TB.  Penn and Parker look so bad and uncoordinated at RT.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'd take Hooker and Harris in FA as I think we could get both for the price of either Williams or Simmons. Harris can play both spots as Abram is always hurt and then still pick a young S in the draft and cut Heath. I see 8 Safeties in the first 3 rounds that look promising. If we only got 1 FA S then if one of those 8 fell to our 4th I'd double dip. See how cocky Abram was on Hard Knocks about being cut and make that a meme to motivate him with 3 new Safeties on the team and Heath having a decent 2020. HOT SEAT!!!

EDIT: As far as T Miller, it was that an Alpha dog James being paired with Mack that had me excited and to have him there after the trade down I really wanted him. Miller's progression to James health/position of need has me leaning Miller but not by much. 

Edited by G

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

exactly makes no sense to get scary in the 1st round. obviously you avoid guys with traits that have red flags, but can't be so conservative. We even did something rare with Miller, traded down and landed a 3rd rounder. which we blew lol 

6 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

It doesn't seem like Barmore has exceptional tools, though.

So he doesn't have exceptional tools but was raw and still dominated. How did that happen? He's under developed, doesn't have physical tools, yet still was one of the most dominant players in the SEC? Despite being one of the youngest and most raw players in the conference. How'd he do it? 

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Conclusion: You're making an entirely different argument, basing said argument on pre-Draft trades, not trades made during the draft. Two very different things. Oversimplification, zero fact checking. 

Cool story though. It's why reading comprehension is so very important.

There's 1 pre draft trade on that list. Nice try though.

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

There's 1 pre draft trade on that list. Nice try though.

I stand corrected. We've moved around the board under Grudock....towards the back end of the draft while consistently taking reaches when we all know very well they were reaches that could have been traded...which was my point to begin with. 

Either way, whatever. Not like trades have really netted us much anyway. I'm not here to argue pedantics over a comment made with facetious intent in the first place. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by ronjon1990

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

So he doesn't have exceptional tools but was raw and still dominated. How did that happen? He's under developed, doesn't have physical tools, yet still was one of the most dominant players in the SEC? Despite being one of the youngest and most raw players in the conference. How'd he do it? 

Being under developed after 3 years at Alabama is not a good thing.