2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

9 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Being under developed after 3 years at Alabama is not a good thing.

I've always thought if your so athletic and you get away with it. It's hard to develop skills because you don't need them to survive. 

But as Ruggs now can't live off his speed and needs to develop more, the balls in his court. Wonder how much he can develop in an off season, with his apparent work ethic. 

I wanna see him heavier, couple more routes and sharper cuts atleast. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

So he doesn't have exceptional tools but was raw and still dominated. How did that happen? He's under developed, doesn't have physical tools, yet still was one of the most dominant players in the SEC? Despite being one of the youngest and most raw players in the conference. How'd he do it? 

I don't think he dominated. He looked pretty good sometimes, and too many times I saw him get pushed straight back in the run game.

Thinking about my big board for picks 1 and 2, here's what I came up with for now...

Round 1:

1. Micah Parsons, Edge

2. Gregory Rousseau, DL

3. Jaelen Phillips, Edge

4. Kwity Paye, DL

5. JOK/Zaven Collins, LB

Round 2:

1. Azeez Ojulari, Edge

2. Trevon Moerhig, S

3. Jay Tufele, iDL

4. Christian Barmore, iDL

5. Joe Tryon, Edge

Round 3: 

1. Landon Dickerson, iOL

2. Osa Odighizuwa, iDL

3. Richie Grant, S 

4. Tyson Campbell, CB

5. Tylan Wallace, WR

Obviously some wishful thinking as far as value goes but I think we see a good amount of QB/WR/OT go early and that lets some defensive talent fall.

• Like 3

With Gabe gone and apparently Trent Brown too. 

Think we'll end up going Tackle in the first. Jenkins is the best right tackle in the class. Him with Miller could be our starting tackles for the next 10 years. Worth the investment. 

Use the O-line savings on a DT and safety.

If we can sign a premium edge and safety (I don't know that we can), I'm game to draft JOK. I liked watching Kollman's video on him. He's dynamic, big hitting, and can cover. He's not perfect, but he's definitely worth a top 20 pick and can make an impact right away.

Edit: if we can't, I'm still leaning toward Ojulari and behind him Jaelan Phillips, who I haven't watched enough but I like in what I've seen. Phillips frame reminds me of Crosby.

2 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

With Gabe gone and apparently Trent Brown too. 

Think we'll end up going Tackle in the first. Jenkins is the best right tackle in the class. Him with Miller could be our starting tackles for the next 10 years. Worth the investment. 

Use the O-line savings on a DT and safety.

Taking a OT in round 1 not named Christian Darrisaw is crazy.  Jenkins could likely end up at G.... watch his tape.... he’s got some concerns.  He’s got some nice talent too though, but to spend #17 on him WoulD be insane IMO.  He’s not any better than the 2nd round OTs In this draft.

Spencer Brown in round 3 would be a great pick.  The dudes athleticism And bend is unreal for his size.  The question is can We draft him In round 3 and expect him to Start game1, year 1 and thus not Bring in a veteran stopgap.

Agree. I just don’t feel we need to do anything more than find a serviceable RT for the short to medium term. Hopefully we resign Good as either a starting G or if we feel good about Simpson, he could be a serviceable RT. 

Think about some of the olines we trotted out last season and still had a potent offense. Just a healthy and relatively reliable player would do me fine while we use our top picks and FA dollars to turn the defense around

I don't want to mess around with right tackle. And a quality right tackle really opens things up on offense which is something I have always wanted to see Gruden do more. I wouldn't mind Darrisaw or Cosmi in round 1. Also, like I have written before, right tackle has proven to be one of the most important positions on a football team. 

The Raiders could probably get Cosmi in a trade back, but not too far. He's a prospect I suspect will go much higher than the internet believes.

Ultimately, I am a big believer in leveraging the draft for its strengths in each round. This is how I view the value strengths in the first 3 rounds:

1) OT, Edge, WR

2) Edge, S, CB, RB

3) RB, WR, DB

Based on how I am reading the draft, I would resolve defensive tackle, safety, and receiver depth in free agency, as well as re-sign Good. I think a value edge wouldn't be bad to look at, either (someone like Okwara, Vernon, Ingram). This is how I would approach the draft:

1) Darrisaw, Cosmi

2) Roche, Jones II, Perkins, Tryon, probably a few others

3) Shaun Wade, Tyree Gillispie, Keith Taylor Jr., Ar'Darius Washington, and I'm sure a few others

On 3/3/2021 at 4:11 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Edit: if we can't, I'm still leaning toward Ojulari and behind him Jaelan Phillips, who I haven't watched enough but I like in what I've seen. Phillips frame reminds me of Crosby.

Sign KVN and draft Ojulari, you can never have too many pass rushers. 

2 hours ago, Turnobili said:

PFF hammering the Barmore to Raiders at 17 take... I still have to watch a lot more of these guys before having a final opinion, but man, I'm really not crazy high on Barmore, at least compared to another prospect like Ojulari

Ojulari looks like he has the potential to be special and fits a need to a tee, so of course we will pass on him. 

21 hours ago, reddevil said:

Agree. I just don’t feel we need to do anything more than find a serviceable RT for the short to medium term. Hopefully we resign Good as either a starting G or if we feel good about Simpson, he could be a serviceable RT. 

Think about some of the olines we trotted out last season and still had a potent offense. Just a healthy and relatively reliable player would do me fine while we use our top picks and FA dollars to turn the defense around

There are some really good 3rd and 4th round OT prospects that could start year 2 at RT.  I’ve said this many times and for a long time: signing a guy like Riley Rieff, once cut, to play RT on a 1yr@7-8M deal and replacing him with the draft pick In 2022 would be a very good idea.

• Like 1

ITs becoming not out of the realm of possibility that we Might have a chance to draft Micah Parsons at 17. 

I think he could be a very good SAM with blitzing ability.  After 1-2 years of learning coverage skills he could Become decent.... he’s athletic enough to at least be good in zone coverage.

but his greatest asset besides run stuffing would be his pass rush.  But with Bradley rarely blitzing MP could be not Used to his full Potential.

what does everyone think of drafting MP and where would you play him?