2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

18 hours ago, NYRaider said:

His rankings are a little questionable to me this year. He has Lance at #11 and Fields at #12. Lance's last 5 games of tape were horrible and at the start of training camp he'll have played 1 game in almost 2 years. 

He's looking at traits. Has Cam Newton like size. Elite (for a QB) speed and is a pure passer. Should sit a year, but his talent is immense. 

With as deep as the OT and G class is this year I’d be livid if we don’t leave the draft with a future RT and G.  

there’s so much talent It’s hard to even have favorites....

Alex Leatherwood- Possibly 2nd Rd

Liam Eichenberg- Possibly 2nd Rd

Jalen Mayfield- 2nd Rd

Dillon Radunz- 2nd Rd

Spencer Brown- 3rd Round 

Jackson Carman- 3rd/4th Rd, could play G too

Walker Little- 3rd/4th Rd

Note- Not a Teven Jenkins fans, he’s a G in the NFL IMO.  

Trey Smith- 2nd Rd

Aaron Banks- 3rd/4th Rd

Quinn Meinerz- 3rd/4th Rd

Ben Cleveland- 4th Rd

Tommy Kraemer- 4/5th Rd

Robert Hainsey- 4th/5th Rd

Kendrick Green- 4th/5th Rd

Spend a 2nd/3rd on a OT and a 3rd-5th on a G and we’ll have a quality, albeit inexpensive OL for years to come.  Miller is going to get a big 2nd contract and we simply can’t afford to pump massive amounts of the salary cap into the OL at the detriment to other positions, mainly the Defense.  

I’d prefer to draft Eichenberg/ Radunz because I believe they could start day 1.  That means we can sign a cheap veteran backup for sub 2M instead of spending 7-9M on a 1 year stop gap starter.

Spencer Brown is the one prospect I wouldn’t mind drafting in the 3rd and sitting for 1 year simply because his movement skills and potential are so amazing for his size. 

Round but more specifically rounds 3-4 will have tremendous value this year.  I highly highly recommend trading down and acquiring more picks in this area.  Mayock Absolutely needs to crush this draft to save his job.  Another poor draft and he’s gotta go.  

I fully expect Mayock to open up the checkbook and use signing bonuses on 1-2 top FA candidates (giving them a lower than usual for us 1st year cap hit in a year with a reduced cap- the cap will Jump next year and the contracts will Still be manageable) and 1-2 middle Level FAs.  Then be aggressive searching for value based FA deals as almost all teams will be cutting players to get more cap space.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He's looking at traits. Has Cam Newton like size. Elite (for a QB) speed and is a pure passer. Should sit a year, but his talent is immense. 

Lance is one of the few guys that intrigued me enough to actually watch multiple games of tape and break down his film. If you watch his last 5 games like 85% of his throws were screens or to wide open receivers in the flat. Very Derek Carr-esque in the way that he plays. With an occasional deep bomb to a wide open receiver. At NDSU the offense was designed for him to make one read and throw or to immediately look to scramble. 

A lot of people saw that he had like 30 TD and 0 interceptions last season and hopped onto the hype train. But I came away less than impressed by his film. Even his stats over his last 5 games were very pedestrian, in those games he only passes for 748 yards (149 ypg) and 7 TD's while completing 57% of his throw.

Seeing check downs, throws to the flat, and throws to guys who don't have a defender within 5 yards of them doesn't really impress me. Not to mention he has played very little football against subpar competition and has played 1 game in over a year. 

Not sure how you can watch his final performance and tell me that he is a "pure passer" unless that means he only throws to wide open receivers, check downs, and the flat. Then yes, he is as pure of a passer as I've seen in a while.  

10 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

With as deep as the OT and G class is this year I’d be livid if we don’t leave the draft with a future RT and G. 

Yes and if you've noticed, multiple teams are trying to create cap room by moving on from expensive OL. There's going to be a lot of OL picks in the first 2 days.

32 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Yes and if you've noticed, multiple teams are trying to create cap room by moving on from expensive OL. There's going to be a lot of OL picks in the first 2 days.

Yeah it’s looking that way.  My belief a you’ve got to follow the markets and find value.  If there’s above normal Value in the draft at a position you take advantage of that and get a 2nd round value player in round 3 but if there’s 8-10M free agents available for 4-6M because teams are drafting their replacements heavily then it might become worth signing a FA to be a stop gap and drafting a player at that position a little later who has potential but needs a year to develop.

with As deep as this draft is with OL even if a surplus in demand for drafting OL to replace veterans that were cut Happens there are still good prospects to draft in rounds 4-5 to be starters by year 2.

55 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Agreed. Even if we keep Trent Brown around this is probably his last year with us because Kolton Miller is due for an extension soon, IIRC. So I'd be okay with investing an early pick into a guy that can replace Brown in year 2 or step in if he gets hurt like he has a few times throughout his career. And I'd also like to see us draft a guard as a potential replacement/backup for Incognito who will likely retire after this season. 

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

FIWI here were DJ's comments on the Oline. He doesn't find it deep. First 3 rounds, should be able to land a talent however

Surest position at the top? Might be offensive line. It’s not deep, but either Rashawn Slater of Northwestern or Penei Sewell of Oregon (both were 2020 opt-outs) could be opening-day left tackles in September. They should both go in the top six or eight. Slater played well against Ohio State and ace edge-rusher Chase Young in their 2019 meeting. Alijah Vera-Tucker (USC) could play guard or tackle comfortably, and Christian Darrisaw (Virginia Tech) and Jalen Mayfield (Michigan) could crack the end of the first round.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Not sure how you can watch his final performance and tell me that he is a "pure passer" unless that means he only throws to wide open receivers, check downs, and the flat. Then yes, he is as pure of a passer as I've seen in a while.  

That's not what being a pure passer means. It means he throws the ball pure, sound mechanically and it pops off his hand. His throwing motion is quick and effortless. No hitch or wasted motion in what he does. All the arm talent in the world to work with. He's clearly raw and will need time to adjust. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

That's not what being a pure passer means. It means he throws the ball pure, sound mechanically and it pops off his hand. His throwing motion is quick and effortless. No hitch or wasted motion in what he does. All the arm talent in the world to work with. He's clearly raw and will need time to adjust. 

It takes a lot more than arm talent to be a good NFL quarterback though. Josh Allen is probably one of the only cases in modern NFL history that a guy with a big arm was inaccurate in college and the developed into a top flight quarterback. His completion % is super inflated because of how many short, quick passes NDSU had in their scheme. When you watch his last few games there he struggled with his accuracy, like I said earlier he completed less than 60% of his passes in those games. 

If he goes to a team that can be patient with him he definitely has tools. But he's likely going to be a top 10 pick and go somewhere that he has to start as a rookie. 

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It takes a lot more than arm talent to be a good NFL quarterback though. Josh Allen is probably one of the only cases in modern NFL history that a guy with a big arm was inaccurate in college and the developed into a top flight quarterback. His completion % is super inflated because of how many short, quick passes NDSU had in their scheme. When you watch his last few games there he struggled with his accuracy, like I said earlier he completed less than 60% of his passes in those games. 

If he goes to a team that can be patient with him he definitely has tools. But he's likely going to be a top 10 pick and go somewhere that he has to start as a rookie. 

Not arguing differently. Not even supporting Lance for that matter. Was simply stating why he's thought highly of despite production. Because he has traits teams will love and think they can develop. 

Arguing rookie QBs is way down my list of things important to the Raiders this year. Though, I'd take a flyer on Mond in round 3 

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Not arguing differently. Not even supporting Lance for that matter. Was simply stating why he's thought highly of despite production. Because he has traits teams will love and think they can develop. 

Arguing rookie QBs is way down my list of things important to the Raiders this year. Though, I'd take a flyer on Mond in round 3 

Mac Jones at #17 baby, lets go. 

52 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

what about Vera Tucker at 17? looks like a plug and play LG. Could come in and start day 1, and we don't worry about the position for the next 10 years. 

I'll become a Rams fan if we draft a guard in the 1st round.