2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

4 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

Man I would have felt way better about our defense and particularly the DL if we went (the guys I likely would have taken at their draft spot)

4 - Ed Oliver - Has been far from elite so far, but would still be our clear cut best DT, and he's a guy I think can explode in year 3. Sweat actually probably would have been my second choice even at 4. I loved him that year (was my top ranked DE)..

24 - Montez Sweat - Would have been an easy choice for me. I was very happy with the Jacobs pick because I loved his game, but because of the value I would have went Sweat and banked on Jacobs falling to 27, far more likely than Sweat making it like I think we planned on doing in real life. Even after Ferrell being picked, Sweat would have been my choice. 

27 - Josh Jacobs, 3 picks later than where he was selected would have been the spot I targeted him and secured him as our new feature RB. He was still the best in the class and wasn't falling to us in the second I don't believe. 

If we did that and mixed our actual draft with still landing Crosby I think our DL would look a lot better long term and would give us a really high ceiling on the DL and that is the spot that makes the entire defense go IMO. 

I was really high on Oliver, White, and Allen. I looked like that pissed fan on draft night. I also really wanted to just trade up a few picks for Bosa. we needed a Mack replacement bad. White was my guy after Bosa was gone, we had nothing at LB and needed an alpha. I couldn't believe Sweat dropped, I would have drafted him even after drafting Ferrell. 27 I still thought we needed another WR even after AB and Williams. I was high on Hollywood and AJ Brown. AJ is stud, and a top 10 WR in the league. Wanted Hollywood for that AB connection but Ravens took him before 27. I wouldn't have touched a RB in the 1st.

11 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

What do you consider a reach? Jacobs was routinely mocked to the Raiders at late first round spot and Abram was regularly mocked in the first round. Ruggs was also regularly mocked in the top 15.

My argument for Jacobs being a slight reach is that you can find solid RB's later in the draft if your OL is good. We took Jacobs at #24 and the Bears took David Montgomery in the 3rd round. 

Through 2 seasons

Jacobs: 568 touches, 2,619 yards, 19 TD

Montgomery: 568 touches, 2,582 yards, 17 TD 

Their production has been almost identical through the first two years of their career. 

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

If FA goes as plan for the Raiders OT will be the pick at 17. Haven’t spent much time looking at them gonna do that going forward 

RT at #17 is pretty terrible value. I wouldn't hate an OT at #48 or #80 though. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

RT in the top 5 and 10 would be terrible value, but a pick in the middle of the first round would not be especially if you’re able to shore up your weaknesses in FA. 

Not to thrilled with the OTs in FA. I think you obviously bring one in but as a back up. 

Also the Raiders are at a point where they just need to draft good players and not worry about value. 

Edited by agarcia34

8 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

RT in the top 5 and 10 would be terrible value, but a pick in the middle of the first round would not be especially if you’re able to shore up your weaknesses in FA. 

RT isn't really a premium position though. We had Young, Parker, and Good at RT last season and Carr was still one of the least sacked QB's in the league. When our offense was good before Gruden got here we had Khalif Barnes and Austin Howard at RT. We don't need an elite, dominant RT and when we signed Trent Brown almost everyone said it was a huge overpay for the position. 

Even if we add a pass rusher in free agency I still hope that we take a pass rusher at #17. You can never have too many guys that can get after the quarterback and it's hard to find high end pass rushers. RT on the other hand as we've seen here the past few seasons can be found pretty cheaply in free agency and even with just an average player there our OL has been pretty good. 

I would kind of agree with you about RT not being a premium position, but Gruden has always valued the offensive line. As a offensive coach he knows without that protection his offense can’t do anything which is why I can see a OT at 17. Not only does it shore up the right side it gives you some insurance when it comes to Miller if you can’t come to terms on a contract in the next couple years. 

I think if you’re able to get a tier one pass rusher to go along with Maxx it give you flexibility to wait till round two or 3 to pick one. They shouldn’t not pick one but I think it allows you to shore up some other holes such as OT and OG. 

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think it's likely good value if the board falls the way a lot of mocks are looking. Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, maybe Vera-Tucker all would be arguably BPA. If they like Jenkins and Mayfield moving around a bit then landing one after netting picks wouldn't be bad either.

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I think it's likely good value if the board falls the way a lot of mocks are looking. Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, maybe Vera-Tucker all would be arguably BPA. If they like Jenkins and Mayfield moving around a bit then landing one after netting picks wouldn't be bad either.

I disagree. We've had a good offensive line with cheap veterans playing at RT. Why invest a first round pick there?