2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

29 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I have no issues with a RT at our pick. I know defense is by far our biggest issue... but I’m tired of reaches. Almost any defensive player in this draft at that spot is a gamble. The RT Class at that range is very solid, and very safe. 

Almost any defensive player in this draft is a better option than we had last year, too. So yeah, no point in reaching. 

I still prefer trading away 17 myself. Rounds 2-4 are value loaded this year. 

40 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Almost any defensive player in this draft is a better option than we had last year, too. So yeah, no point in reaching. 

I still prefer trading away 17 myself. Rounds 2-4 are value loaded this year. 

Around #17 we can likely add a defensive difference maker with a guy like Azeez Ojulari, JOK, Kwity Paye, Greg Rousseau, Jaycee Horn, Zaven Collins, etc. 

The smart move would be to sign a veteran stop gap and then draft a RT in round 2-4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I have no issues with a RT at our pick. I know defense is by far our biggest issue... but I’m tired of reaches. Almost any defensive player in this draft at that spot is a gamble. The RT Class at that range is very solid, and very safe. 

You can also find cheap stop gaps at RT in free agency. 

The Chiefs won the Super Bowl in 2020 with Mitchell Schwartz at RT who they acquired in free agency and had a $6.6M cap hit. 

The Patriots won the Super Bowl in 2019 with Marcus Cannon at RT who they drafted in the 5th round and had a $6.0M cap hit. They also had Trent Brown at LT who they acquired for a 5th round pick and had a $1.9M cap hit 

The Eagles won the Super Bowl in 2018 with Lane Johnson at RT who they drafted early and had a $9.8M cap hit. But they also had Halapoulivaati Vaitai at LT who they took in the 5th and had an $800k cap hit. 

The Patriots won the Super Bowl in 2017 with Marcus Cannon at RT who they drafted in the 5th round and had a $3.5M cap hit. 

The Broncos won the Super Bowl in 2016 with Michael Schofield at RT who they drafted in the third round and had a $612k cap hit. 

The Patriots won the Super Bowl in 2015 with Marcus Cannon at RT who had a $1.2M cap hit. 

The list goes on and on, the only teams that have invested significant draft capital or a massive pay day into a RT have had LT's on smaller contracts. Almost every good team that has won in recent NFL history has had a cheap RT that they either acquired via FA or in the draft. 

16 minutes ago, reddevil said:

^^^^ so sign Marcus Cannon then?

Surefire way to win a Super Bowl I’d say

My point was that the teams who have recently won the Super Bowl didn't invest high draft picks or huge contracts into RT. The only ones that did were the Buccaneers who had Donovan Smith at LT on a very team friendly deal and the Eagles who had Vaitai at LT who had less than a $1M cap hit. 

You can spin it however you want but one consistent thing we've seen with recent Super Bowl champions is that they've all had very good defensive lines that can consistently generate pressure with a 4 man rush. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

In fairness though we have found some decent players in round 2-4 under Mayock with guys like Mullen, Moreau, Crosby, and hopefully Edwards. 

Eh, but he's heard it before. Every single year. He probably gets prickly over the words "football" and "quarterback" too, if he's that pedantic. I hear that literally 100 times per day 🤷🏼‍♂️

On 3/9/2021 at 5:08 PM, oakdb36 said:

Where do you think Mayfield goes?

Probably in the firsts round. Lot of need for a right tackle this year. He's a good one. I think the following tackles (outside of Sewell and Slater) are first-round worthy:

• Christian Darrisaw
  • Sam Cosmi
  • Jalen Mayfield
  • Teven Jenkins
  • maybe Liam Eichenberg

After these I see a significant drop off in terms of day 1 starting ability. That's not to say there aren't guys who can't come in and start right away, but I would have far less comfort with them.

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

Going Tackle in the 1sr might not be sexy but if the player ends up being a cornorstone on the team for the next 10 years then it will be a great pick.

one defensive player isn't going to fix the defense.

This basically encapsulates my opinion on our first round pick in general. I mean, I know it's been said every single year and what not, but there's some guys deeper in the draft on D and at OT. Without a spectacular player available at 17, I'd prefer trying to move back. I mean, yeah, it's said every single year, but this year seems to have a ton of guys post-round 1 thanks to the Covid situation and guys whatever other things don't happen EVERY SINGLE YEAR making this a particularly deep class.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If you're missing your entire starting OL or DL you're probably in trouble. We've had one winning season in almost 2 decades and our RT was Austin Howard. Carr was sacked 26 times, one of the least of any QB in the league, and we had a revolving door at RT between Good/Parker/Young. The 17th pick on a RT might ensure Carr gets sacked 23 times instead of 26 while we give up 30+ ppg again.

The lack of sacks in 2016 had more to do with Carr than with the line. Carr got the ball out extremely quickly that year. The line was a much better run blocking line than pass blocking line. And I wrote then that the 2016 roster was not a sustainable winner because Penn was aging and the defensive playmaking was not something we could count on year-to-year. Plus, the Raiders got the long end of the stick more times that we could count on in close games.

Instead of looking back at what was really an okay roster, I would rather emulate teams that consistently win year-to-year. Those teams have very good tackle play.