2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'll support the Raiders either way. And I agree that we should sign a pass rusher, I'd prefer Leonard Floyd, Haason Reddick, or Melvin Ingram on the edge and then going hard after a guy like Devlin Tomlinson. Even if we do go OT in the 1st round I'd also prefer us to bring in a veteran guy like Beachum as an insurance policy. 

Seriously? These are they types I want to stay away from.

Reddick, Floyd and put Hendrickson in this group for me as well. Good players, not worth what they will be paid. The seasons they had were an aberration. 

Buyer beware on all three. Don't fall for the sexy sack numbers, it's a trap.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Reddick, Floyd and put Hendrickson in this group for me as well. Good players, not worth what they will be paid. The seasons they had were an aberration. 

Floyd and Hendrickson I would agree with because Floyd wasn't productive until he played on an elite defense and Hendrickson only has 1 year of production playing the same position he has always played. 

Reddick is different though in my opinion, the Cardinals pigeon holed him into an ILB role the first 3 years of his career. They finally allowed him to play off the edge in a pass rushing role and he played very well. 

Even coming into the draft analysts said that his best fit was as an edge rusher, but for whatever reason the Cardinals played him as an ILB. They did the same thing with Deon Buccannon, he wasn't an edge rusher but he was a play making LB and they played him almost exclusively at ILB. 

Even Isaiah Simmons who was considered a can't miss prospect and one of the most dynamic defensive draft prospects to come out in years was playing ILB and struggled as a rookie. 

Reddick came to Temple as a walk-on cornerback before being moved to the edge. He found a home at defensive end as he eventually became a dynamic edge rusher, contributing as a junior with 46 tackles, 12.5 for a loss and five sacks. In his final season, Reddick took his game to another level as he notched 65 tackles with 22.5 tackles for a loss, 10.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and three passes broken up. The senior was big-time presence as a pass-rushing defensive end for Temple. In speaking with scouting sources, they say that Reddick is athletic with explosive speed and edge-rushing skills for the NFL. He is very good in space and versatile as a run-and-chase pursuit defender. 

The first-round pick and the general manager who chose him were criticized heavily for the first three years of Reddick's career, after he failed to pan out as an inside linebacker. But a move to outside linebacker has not only rejuvenated Reddick's career – it has put him in in the Cardinals' record books.

Hypoetically say one of the top QBs falls into our laps. We're talking a Fields or Wilson. Are you pulling the trigger and shipping Carr off this season, holding onto Carr for one year to groom the rookie, or trading down to a QB needy team?

I know how bipolar this forum is on Carr so curious what it would take to move on from him. 

23 hours ago, NYRaider said:

My point was that the teams who have recently won the Super Bowl didn't invest high draft picks or huge contracts into RT. The only ones that did were the Buccaneers who had Donovan Smith at LT on a very team friendly deal and the Eagles who had Vaitai at LT who had less than a $1M cap hit. 

You can spin it however you want but one consistent thing we've seen with recent Super Bowl champions is that they've all had very good defensive lines that can consistently generate pressure with a 4 man rush. 

I was joking! It was just because each time the Pats resigned Cannon they won the SB.

I totally agree with you on being prudent on the oline - especially at RT. No need to draft one early 

34 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Hypoetically say one of the top QBs falls into our laps. We're talking a Fields or Wilson. Are you pulling the trigger and shipping Carr off this season, holding onto Carr for one year to groom the rookie, or trading down to a QB needy team?

I know how bipolar this forum is on Carr so curious what it would take to move on from him. 

They wouldn't drop. I like both and if we take a qb we should let them watch for a year to give them a chance to learn and process.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

No need to even discuss this hypothetical because there's absolutely zero chance that Fields or Wilson make it that far down the board. I'd say both of those guys are probably off the board within the first 4 picks with New York taking one and either Atlanta or a team that trades up taking the other. With as much hype as those guys have gotten during the pre-draft process if they did fall that far it's probably because there was a major red-flag on their medical report or they do something crazy off the field. 

A better and more realistic hypothetical would be to ask if Mac Jones and/or Trey Lance are on the board at #17 are you pulling the trigger? 

I doubt it happens but I could see Gruden falling in love with Lance's skill set/potential and taking him at #17 if he's on the board. Lance isn't ready to start as a rookie so in that scenario you'd keep Carr around to groom him and then trade Carr next offseason to let Lance take over. 

Not comparing Lance to Mahomes but in this scenario we'd be following a similar path to what KC did with Smith/Mahomes. They drafted Mahomes in the 1st round let him sit for a year behind Smith and then traded Smith the following off season for Kendall Fuller and a 3rd round pick. 

• Like 1

If we're going to take a developmental QB this year someone I'd target would be Jamie Newman from UGA in the 4th round. He's 6'4" 230 with a strong arm, good athleticism, and actually played pretty well in 2019 at Wake Forest. Coming into 2020 there was even some potential 1st/2nd round hype around him if he played well at Georgia but he sat the year out due to covid. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Reddick is different because he finally got put at edge and put up mega numbers. Marinelli could help him continue his development. Super super explosive. Agree with the other ones.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Reddick is different because he finally got put at edge and put up mega numbers. Marinelli could help him continue his development. Super super explosive. Agree with the other ones.

And he didn't even really start playing edge full time until Chandler Jones got hurt. Isaiah Simmons was viewed as a can't miss, generational type of talent and they misused him last season as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Look at the burst off the line, power, and closing speed. This guy can help us chase down mobile qb's on extended plays and offers a different element than our other edge guys.

Another thing with Reddick in comparison to guys like Hendrickson and Floyd, those two played on top 5 defenses with All-Pros alongside them on the defensive line. The Cardinals defense was slightly above average and Reddick was their only consistent pass rusher once Chandler Jones went down week 5. He put up those numbers playing 3-4 OLB behind a DL of Zach Allen, Corey Peters, and Jordan Phillips. 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Another thing with Reddick in comparison to guys like Hendrickson and Floyd, those two played on top 5 defenses with All-Pros alongside them on the defensive line. The Cardinals defense was slightly above average and Reddick was their only consistent pass rusher once Chandler Jones went down week 5. He put up those numbers playing 3-4 OLB behind a DL of Zach Allen, Corey Peters, and Jordan Phillips. 

I'll pay Reddick 14 mil a year if we can put in a 1 year out. I'll stick to my guns. I'm very high on him based on what I saw.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'd day they are all products of the system. Getting sacks because of scheme and players around them.  They'd flop here massive. 

So I'd imagine we sign one.