2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

50 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

In this case, I don't think it's a lack of long term vision because these guys need to audition for jobs. The ones who play bad will be cut and the ones who play well will give us incentives to resign them next year. The hope is 1-2 of them give us high-quality play. We'll see.

I wouldn't mind DT in 2nd, just a reach @17. tired or reaching on needs

It's going to be tackle or safety at 17 and the is only 1 FS I like in the class. But I can see us going tackle in the 1st with sombody like Mayfield that's probably going to be a massive bust and then missing out on Trevon Moehrig while the tackle class is very deep. 

Grant I like but see him more of a jack of all trades along with Holland, Washington is too small. Cisco is intresting but boom or bust.  Not that many FS but a load of bix guys. 

Got a few slot guys we mignt be able to get in the 3rd though. Aaron Robinson, Shaun Wade and Elijah Molden. Tre Norwood in the 3rd day if we miss out. 

7 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

How many DTs will we take into the 53, 4/5?

Hankins

Irving

Thomas

Jefferson

Hurst

Vickers

Got other needs then DT now, let all these guys fight for the place.  Outside of Hankins and Jefferson they all have upside, let's see what they can do. 

Same with Edge.  4/5 edges.  Maybe class Irving as both.  So need 4;

Ferrell

Crosby

Ngakoue 

Key

Nassib

For me Edge is the most likely position as you can cut Key and Nassib and take a guy to be 4th edge. With Irving, Vickers and now Thomas to be edge cover if needed. 

14 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

It's going to be tackle or safety at 17 and the is only 1 FS I like in the class. But I can see us going tackle in the 1st with sombody like Mayfield that's probably going to be a massive bust and then missing out on Trevon Moehrig while the tackle class is very deep. 

Grant I like but see him more of a jack of all trades along with Holland, Washington is too small. Cisco is intresting but boom or bust.  Not that many FS but a load of bix guys. 

Got a few slot guys we mignt be able to get in the 3rd though. Aaron Robinson, Shaun Wade and Elijah Molden. Tre Norwood in the 3rd day if we miss out. 

honestly we just draft Amik to be the slot, who many liked as a 3rd rounder. He just needs a shot, we actually already have 4 young corners. we need to mix a vet in there to challenge for PT and develop our youth

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Assuming we still add 2 dbs in fa then we should be well positioned to just go bpa.

If we can just finally draft 2 special guys in the draft, doesnt matter the position except for qb. 

We dont have a need at wr and og, but much rather end up with a "Armani Cooper" & "Gabe Jackson" combo in 1&2 over a "conley", "parker" & "pj hall" combo. 

3 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

How many DTs will we take into the 53, 4/5?

Hankins

Irving

Thomas

Jefferson

Hurst

Vickers

Got other needs then DT now, let all these guys fight for the place.  Outside of Hankins and Jefferson they all have upside, let's see what they can do. 

Same with Edge.  4/5 edges.  Maybe class Irving as both.  So need 4;

Ferrell

Crosby

Ngakoue 

Key

Nassib

For me Edge is the most likely position as you can cut Key and Nassib and take a guy to be 4th edge. With Irving, Vickers and now Thomas to be edge cover if needed. 

Between Vickers/Thomas/Jefferson, I doubt all of them make the team. We carried 8-9 DL last year. I wouldn't be surprised if we do again and draft a DT on day 2, who by the way would be the only DT we have under contract next year.

Day 2 is the sweet spot for DT, especially round 2. All these guys have flashed but we got them for a reason. None of them are sure things/world-beaters. If there is a guy in the draft who can be that, take him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

To me, that screams a lack of vision. 

Our strategy is to sign potential and bank on either cutting them or getting high level play? That's boom or bust spitballing, not a designed strategy that is viable (as we've seen). At the very least, it's a poor strategy for building a team not full of rotational players- which is exactly what we've been. 

As you said, potential isn't ****. And my point is that anyone arguing that we settle for potential is crazy, chiefly because we have consistently signed "potential" instead of going after proven talent at positions of clear need, and it's never worked. 

I'm hoping it's not as much that as it is realizing that true game changing DTs don't hit the free agent market, so it's not a bad approach to sign a proven ok starter in Jefferson and buying a lottery ticket on a former top pick in Thomas to see what he can do on the interior. 

If you know you aren't finding an impact player at DT in free agency it makes far more sense to sign some guys for small money and heavy incentives just entering their prime and seeing if you can coach them up than it does paying big money for the fools gold of a better player overall, but not a game changer and now you're forced to try and let that guy validate the signing and keep taking snaps to justify the signing. 

The line of thinking only becomes a real issue if they feel like the guys they have signed solves the problem completely. That would be totally foolish. But if they think Jefferson, Thomas, Irvin, Hurst, Hankins can all battle in camp to see who offers the most and maybe one of them really surprises, plus most of those guys can play multiple spots meaning we can survive injuries easier that's fine. As long as you're still looking for ways to add a true impact, long term solution at the position in the draft. Whether it be in the first round more highly regarded prospect or a third or fourth round more raw prospect and these guys buy him a year of being able to develop. 

I imagine we keep Hankins because he's a NT, Draft a guy in the first three rounds or so that will make the roster, and then Vickers, Irvin, Thomas, and Jefferson battle it out for the remaining spots and their play will determine playing time. 

The defense needed so much work in free agency, and I agree Yannick is a better player and higher chance of making a big impact than any of the DT that hit free agency, so I like his signing and going low risk high reward on the interior. I too, however, will hate it, if they take the approval that the guys they have brought in are a sure fire fix to the interior DL problem. But I never expected the long term solution was coming via free agency because they don't make it there. Williams was the only guy I thought even could be that and he never hit the market. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Between Vickers/Thomas/Jefferson, I doubt all of them make the team. We carried 8-9 DL last year. I wouldn't be surprised if we do again and draft a DT on day 2, who by the way would be the only DT we have under contract next year.

Day 2 is the sweet spot for DT, especially round 2. All these guys have flashed but we got them for a reason. None of them are sure things/world-beaters. If there is a guy in the draft who can be that, take him.

But you'd need to only take 1 if them to take a DT in the draft?