2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

As of late though he's played all his games? If doctors clear him I'm good with it.

three concussions bad enough to make him retire from football is kinda sorta a huge red flag though

it's not just the concussions his wrist damage is potentially huge as well he has 3 bones removed from severe ligament damage from an auto accident.

"Phillips broke his left wrist and needed multiple surgeries, including one that removed three bones because of ligament damage. He was able to start the first game of the 2018 season, but even then, he played in excruciating pain because the small bones in his wrist were rubbing against one another constantly. He sustained another concussion in his fourth game, and UCLA doctors declared him out for the season in mid-October." (https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30064775/former-top-recruit-jaelan-phillips-finds-second-chance-miami)

When he was done with football he quit working out. He was down to ~220 when he got to Miami. To then gain roughly 50 pounds in 7 months is pretty nuts.

That's an almost suspicious body transformation for a guy that if he wanted football to work out needed to come back fast in a big way.

He's a Jordan Reed at Defensive End. First round talent with 3 collegiate concussions. Reed fell to the mid 3rd, in a deep TE class though (Eifert Ertz Kelce all went before him). I dunno where I'd be comfortable drafting him, but it's not with our first for me.

• Like 1

Just now, Trojan said:

three concussions bad enough to make him retire from football is kinda sorta a huge red flag though

it's not just the concussions his wrist damage is potentially huge as well he has 3 bones removed from severe ligament damage from an auto accident.

"Phillips broke his left wrist and needed multiple surgeries, including one that removed three bones because of ligament damage. He was able to start the first game of the 2018 season, but even then, he played in excruciating pain because the small bones in his wrist were rubbing against one another constantly. He sustained another concussion in his fourth game, and UCLA doctors declared him out for the season in mid-October." (https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30064775/former-top-recruit-jaelan-phillips-finds-second-chance-miami)

When he was done with football he quit working out. He was down to ~220 when he got to Miami. To then gain roughly 50 pounds in 7 months is pretty nuts.

That's an almost suspicious body transformation for a guy that if he wanted football to work out needed to come back fast in a big way.

He's a Jordan Reed at Defensive End. First round talent with 3 collegiate concussions. Reed fell to the mid 3rd, in a deep TE class though (Eifert Ertz Kelce all went before him). I dunno where I'd be comfortable drafting him, but it's not with our first for me.

Defensive ends in the NFL will not be at a huge risk for getting concussed. It happened to Ferrell, but besides that I can't remember the last time.

He has a rare combination of abilities and polish. We may eschew DL entirely and go for a good OT, but when we look back on this draft in 2-3 years, I hope we didn't have to pass him up and watch him become a perennial double digit sack guy.

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Defensive ends in the NFL will not be at a huge risk for getting concussed. It happened to Ferrell, but besides that I can't remember the last time.

He has a rare combination of abilities and polish. We may eschew DL entirely and go for a good OT, but when we look back on this draft in 2-3 years, I hope we didn't have to pass him up and watch him become a perennial double digit sack guy.

I disagree. Anyone concussed three + times in a year or two that is advised to not play sports is at risk for more concussions. Bending the edge and shoved to the ground is a fast movement that rattles the brain. He might play 10 years or whatever, but he's still going to be an elevated concussion risk not only the rest of his playing career but the rest of his life. I don't disagree he's a top DE though talent wise.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

I disagree. Anyone concussed three + times in a year or two that is advised to not play sports is at risk for more concussions. Bending the edge and shoved to the ground is a fast movement that rattles the brain. He might play 10 years or whatever, but he's still going to be an elevated concussion risk not only the rest of his playing career but the rest of his life. I don't disagree he's a top DE though talent wise.

I finished my neurology block. I know the risks.

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It is hyperbole, but I do love Phillips and he can play all over. That being said, is the a need/place for him?

Yes.

If we wanted to use him as an excuse to move on from Ferrell next year, I'd be 100% cool with it.

If we used him and he flashed, it might help with the inevitable contract dispute with Ngakoue.

If we learn how to blitz LBs, sweet. Either he or Yannick could line up there in certain packages.

Imagine having, say, Phillips, Ngakoue, and Crosby all on the field at once (even moreso if we wind up with a stud DT)...that's called a pass rush. 

If he's there, I'd jump on him. I think he's got game changing potential. 

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yes.

If we wanted to use him as an excuse to move on from Ferrell next year, I'd be 100% cool with it.

If we used him and he flashed, it might help with the inevitable contract dispute with Ngakoue.

If we learn how to blitz LBs, sweet. Either he or Yannick could line up there in certain packages.

Imagine having, say, Phillips, Ngakoue, and Crosby all on the field at once (even moreso if we wind up with a stud DT)...that's called a pass rush. 

If he's there, I'd jump on him. I think he's got game changing potential. 

SF made it to the super bowl because of stellar DL play. If we can find a way to get a tackle, i'm still fine going DL in round 1. But we also need a free safety and I don't know how we're gonan get one at this rate.

18 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Between Vickers/Thomas/Jefferson, I doubt all of them make the team. We carried 8-9 DL last year. I wouldn't be surprised if we do again and draft a DT on day 2, who by the way would be the only DT we have under contract next year.

Day 2 is the sweet spot for DT, especially round 2. All these guys have flashed but we got them for a reason. None of them are sure things/world-beaters. If there is a guy in the draft who can be that, take him.

since last year I’ve screamed we should add a back Up NT.  For a 4th to 6th round pick you can find a Hankins future replacement.

marvin Wilson 

Tyler Shelvin 

Alim McNeil

K. Tonga BYU

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

SF made it to the super bowl because of stellar DL play. If we can find a way to get a tackle, i'm still fine going DL in round 1. But we also need a free safety and I don't know how we're gonan get one at this rate.

Rounds 1-3 are gonna be interesting, given that we (currently) have 4 picks in the top 80, with potential to gain some more picks via trade on draft day. 

We could easily go:

Phillips rd 1

FS rd 2

DT and OT or CB rd 3

CB or OT rd 4

I think we could be in a spot to get some really good value in the draft at positions we still have a need for, without necessarily sacrificing a BPA/semi-luxury type of pick (which I think Phillips would be). 

Or we could always wind up using one of thr 3rds to trade for one of the positions listed. 

I wouldn't fret the options too much yet. 

• Like 1

17 - Tevin Jenkins | OT | Oklahoma State

48 - Jamin Davis | LB | Kentucky 

79 - Andre Cisco | FS | Syracuse

80 - Quincy Roche | Edge | Miami (FL)

121 - Tyler Shelvin | NT | LSU

162 - Joshua Bledsoe | DB | Missouri 

167 - Anthony Schwartz | WR | Auburn 

200 - Tay Gowan | CB | UCF

Edited by NYRaider