2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

12 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

He’s only starting by default.  You can’t tell me he’s starting on his merits... or he’d start for any other team.  Should we crown him a future WR1 because he beat out Agholor and Zay Jones? 

If Edwards is such an amazing asset as a 3rd round pick... then why would another 3rd round pick Only see 30 targets a year?

There were reports that he was the best player in training camp regardless of position. And he received high praise from all of the media members that saw him practice as well as from other players. We'll have to see how he plays this season and I don't think you crown him our future WR1 just yet, Ruggs should have that label going forward if he lives up to his draft position. 

If Ruggs and Edwards are as good as advertised or even look like starting level players, then you have your 3 WR spots locked up with young players with those two and Renfrow. Edwards will see a ton of targets this season because he's starting, if he holds onto that spot next season, then we'll have 3 starters at WR. If you have 3 starters and you bring in another young player what does that make him? A back up. We already have Waller who will be a 100+ target guy and Jacobs who will likely get around 50 targets as well. 

It's comparable to us taking Ferrell/Crosby in the draft last season. They both flashed as rookies so we didn't take another edge player in the draft this year, did we? You have to trust in your young talent that shows potential and trust your coaches to develop that young talent. 

You literally just said that Edwards had to beat out Jones/Agholor, and that's why he's going to get targets. A third round rookie next season would have to beat out Edwards and/or Ruggs for playing time.

Edited by NYRaider

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

So these are our picks after the trades? 

R1- Raiders 

R2- Raiders 

R3- Raiders 

R4- Dolphins - Bowden Trade 

R5- Dolphins- McMillen Trade 

R6- Redskins- Sharpe trade 

R7- Bears - Pineiro trade 

Just have to have a better record then all of them and we totally win out.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It's still super early but three prospects I like are Jaylen Twyman, Andre Cisco, and Marvin Wilson. 

I like Cisco and Wilson a lot.  I’m not high on Twyman for us.  6’2... prolly more like 6’1 and change and 291lbs isn’t big enough to start for me.  I’ve said it a million and one times we need a lengthy 3Tech.... not another Mo Hurst.

I’d throw Jevon Holland into the FS debate.  And Christian Baremore could be exactly what we need at DT.

I’d love to get a speed rusher too... like a 3rd round pick... a lengthy, twitchy OLB/DPR type like Hamilcar Rashed.  There’s some nice edge players with speed this year.

If there’s a value at WR who has speed I’d do that in round 3 and maybe a G in round 4 to replace Jackson/Incognito longterm (with Simpson the other G).... but besides that it should be a defensive heavy draft.  We need talent at DT, LB, FS.... possible even draft a DE if there’s value in rounds 2-4.

Edited by jimkelly02

18 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Andre Cisco is good... don’t get me wrong he’s definitely in late first round Consideration...... but his stats don’t exactly meet his coverage skills.  He needs to prove he can cover WRs and not just jump routes from deep safety.

He's definitely not a perfect prospect and needs to play with more discipline, but you can't teach his ball skills or range. I think he's a guy that will play a lot better in the NFL with better teammates and better coaching. He pairs nicely with Abram as a guy that you can leave in single high. 

I like Holland as well but I don't know if he has the range or athleticism to be a center fielder in the NFL. He played 770 snaps in the box or slot last season and only 24 snaps deep. 

Ar'Darius Washington is the best safety in the class but I don't see him being an option for us because of his size. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's definitely not a perfect prospect and needs to play with more discipline, but you can't teach his ball skills or range. I think he's a guy that will play a lot better in the NFL with better teammates and better coaching. He pairs nicely with Abram as a guy that you can leave in single high. 

I like Holland as well but I don't know if he has the range or athleticism to be a center fielder in the NFL. He played 770 snaps in the box or slot last season and only 24 snaps deep. 

Ar'Darius Washington is the best safety in the class but I don't see him being an option for us because of his size. 

Yeah I don’t think Washington has the size to play FS... he’ll have to move to sCB.

i do like Cisco a lot as a prospect.... but like all prospects he’s got to work on somethings and show he can cover, not just jump routes. But he does look like a great player to team with Abram.  I think Holland has enough athleticism... and I think his ability to come down into the slot is very valuable.  Their just 2 different types of FSs.

7 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

i do like Cisco a lot as a prospect.... but like all prospects he’s got to work on somethings and show he can cover, not just jump routes. But he does look like a great player to team with Abram.  I think Holland has enough athleticism... and I think his ability to come down into the slot is very valuable.  Their just 2 different types of FSs.

I don't think Holland has the range or athleticism to be a true center fielder, ball hawk, type of FS. He'll be at his best in a scheme that moves him all around the field and utilizes his slot coverage ability. 

This draft is not very pass rush heavy for EDGE rushers. But if you need a CB or WR this is the draft for you. 

At this time will be looking at safety’s big time.

My favorite player in the draft is Shaun Wade. He is what you call a physical CB. There is no doubt in my mind Mayock would crush over a player like Wade. He’s a tone setter and love to lay the hit on a WR or RB. He’s a Arnette on steroids with great long speed. Wade,Abram and Arnette in the secondary on my! 

26 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

This draft is not very pass rush heavy for EDGE rushers. But if you need a CB or WR this is the draft for you. 

At this time will be looking at safety’s big time.

My favorite player in the draft is Shaun Wade. He is what you call a physical CB. There is no doubt in my mind Mayock would crush over a player like Wade. He’s a tone setter and love to lay the hit on a WR or RB. He’s a Arnette on steroids with great long speed. Wade,Abram and Arnette in the secondary on my! 

It’s definitely heavy with Pass Rushers..... I’d love to grab a guy one in rounds 2-3.... it’s so heavy there will almost certainly be steals.  There’s too many edge players to even list.

I’ll let the season play out a bit before I start wanting a CB in the draft. At the moment, I’m happy with Mullen, Annette, I.Johnson, Robertson, and Nixon to be the young core with 1-2 veterans.  I think the Safety group will get a major overhaul.  Harris is a FA and Heath has a cap hit of 3.15M.... I think only one is kept/resigned and we add 2 Safeties.... prolly draft one and sign one.

LB needs to be upgraded too.  Im not sold on Tanner Muse being more than a depth/situational piece. Morrow and McMillan are FAs and we need another dynamic LB, whether it is in coverage or pass rushing.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

It’s definitely heavy with Pass Rushers..... I’d love to grab a guy one in rounds 2-3.... it’s so heavy there will almost certainly be steals.  There’s too many edge players to even list.

I’ll let the season play out a bit before I start wanting a CB in the draft. At the moment, I’m happy with Mullen, Annette, I.Johnson, Robertson, and Nixon to be the young core with 1-2 veterans.  I think the Safety group will get a major overhaul.  Harris is a FA and Heath has a cap hit of 3.15M.... I think only one is kept/resigned and we add 2 Safeties.... prolly draft one and sign one.

LB needs to be upgraded too.  Im not sold on Tanner Muse being more than a depth/situational piece. Morrow and McMillan are FAs and we need another dynamic LB, whether it is in coverage or pass rushing.

QB- Carr , ? - we good on draft, sign a cheaper vet backup 

RB- Jacobs, Booker, Richard- see how it pans out with Booker 

WR- Ruggs, Edwards, Renfrow- let’s see how they do, idk I could see us getting one more for competition and more weapons.

TE- Waller, Moreau-we good 

T- Miller, Brown, Parker- could be a hole if things go south with Brown. 

G- Jackson, Simpson- see how Gabe performs in 2020. Could maybe redo his contract if he has a good year 

C- Hudson, James- we are good, Hudson should be good another 3-4 years 

DE- Ferrell, Crosby, Nassib, Kay- hopefully these guys step up 

DT- Hankins, Hurst, Collins- probably a need, Hankins could get a nice 2-3 extension 

LB- Littleton, Kwit, McMillen- still could use a LB or two. Muse is a fringe player for now. no depth in this unit 

CB- Arnette, Mullen, Amik, I Johnson, Nixon - hopefully this unit steps up 

S- Abram, - Abram is a dog but needs a partner 

Edited by Humble_Beast

27 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

It’s not top heavy and only one prime time pass rusher in Rousseau and the drop off from him to the next guy is huge. I should have been clear on that. My bad 

That is true.... while there’s only one elite Edge player there’s crazy depth for 2nd round grade DEs/edge players.  That’s ideal for us.  

• Like 1