2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

My favorite player in the draft is Shaun Wade. He is what you call a physical CB. There is no doubt in my mind Mayock would crush over a player like Wade. He’s a tone setter and love to lay the hit on a WR or RB. He’s a Arnette on steroids with great long speed. Wade,Abram and Arnette in the secondary on my! 

If we're drafting Wade that means two things: 

1.) We finished the season with 6 wins or less and are picking in the top 10. 

2.) Mullen and/or Arnette had a horrible year and we likely look to move on. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

QB- Carr , ? - we good on draft, sign a cheaper vet backup 

RB- Jacobs, Booker, Richard- see how it pans out with Booker 

WR- Ruggs, Edwards, Renfrow- let’s see how they do, idk I could see us getting one more for competition and more weapons.

TE- Waller, Moreau-we good 

T- Miller, Brown, Parker- could be a hole if things go south with Brown. 

G- Jackson, Simpson- see how Gabe performs in 2020. Could maybe redo his contract if he has a good year 

C- Hudson, James- we are good, Hudson should be good another 3-4 years 

DE- Ferrell, Crosby, Nassib, Kay- hopefully these guys step up 

DT- Hankins, Hurst, Collins- probably a need, Hankins could get a nice 2-3 extension 

LB- Littleton, Kwit, McMillen- still could use a LB or two. Muse is a fringe player for now. no depth in this unit 

CB- Arnette, Mullen, Amik, I Johnson, Nixon - hopefully this unit steps up 

S- Abram, - Abram is a dog but needs a partner 

It's pretty hard to project our draft needs because they can and will change dramatically by the time the draft rolls around. 

QB - Could be a need if we have another losing season and Carr folds down the stretch. 

RB - Likely a need as we're still going to need a long term option behind Jacobs. 

WR - Could be a need depending on how our 3 young guys perform. 

OT - Could be a need depending on what happens with Trent Brown. 

DE - Could be a need if our young edge players don't step up going forward. 

DT - Likely a need as Hankins/Collins are both free agents after this year. 

LB - Likely a need as McMillian/Morrow are both free agents after this year. 

CB - Could be a need depending on how our young CB's play throughout the year.

S - Likely a need as we don't have any good, young options here going forward outside of Abram.

The obvious needs for our early picks are safety and defensive tackle. With QB, OT, and Edge being positions that we could spend early picks on depending on how our players at those spots play this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

It's pretty hard to project our draft needs because they can and will change dramatically by the time the draft rolls around. 

QB - Could be a need if we have another losing season and Carr folds down the stretch. 

RB - Likely a need as we're still going to need a long term option behind Jacobs. 

WR - Could be a need depending on how our 3 young guys perform. 

OT - Could be a need depending on what happens with Trent Brown. 

DE - Could be a need if our young edge players don't step up going forward. 

DT - Likely a need as Hankins/Collins are both free agents after this year. 

LB - Likely a need as McMillian/Morrow are both free agents after this year. 

CB - Could be a need depending on how our young CB's play throughout the year.

S - Likely a need as we don't have any good, young options here going forward outside of Abram.

The obvious needs for our early picks are safety and defensive tackle. With QB, OT, and Edge being positions that we could spend early picks on depending on how our players at those spots play this season. 

Pretty much. We looked good against a decent at best team. It's way early on projecting anything set in stone. Even with a top 10 pick, who yet knows why. Could be a huge key injury, could be someone missing a stretch due to illness, could be a million things. 

DT and Safety are the only obvious needs.

If I had to guess, our draft goes something like this (assuming last week is an indicator for the year):

(order of position depending on who is available, of course)

R1-2 DT/S 

R3-5  OT/RB2/LB

R6-7 BPA/Depth picks

Agree with Jim. Wade is in the 10-15 range. Farley and Surtain I would put ahead of him. Im not sure if Wade is coming to play this year, but I would love if he did so we can see him play the outside as his primary position. Been used mostly in the slot and would be nice to see how he does outside as the main guy.

Would still take Wade in a heart beat cause of his ability to play in the slot and that CB core would be nasty if they all hit their ceiling. 

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Agree with Jim. Wade is in the 10-15 range. Farley and Surtain I would put ahead of him. Im not sure if Wade is coming to play this year, but I would love if he did so we can see him play the outside as his primary position. Been used mostly in the slot and would be nice to see how he does outside as the main guy.

Would still take Wade in a heart beat cause of his ability to play in the slot and that CB core would be nasty if they all hit their ceiling. 

Wade announced that he's returning to school to play this year. 

• Like 1

I think the only position completely 100% out of bounds in the 1st is RB. Who knows what this team will need by seasons end. Trent Brown could keep getting injured and we draft a OT. Could go WR again if the picks fall that way, doubtful though. Every DL position is certainly in play, especially DT. Hurst is not the answer and I doubt Collins is either. MLB is certainly in play and you have two studs in Parsons and Moses. CB could be in play again if Arnette or Mullen have a bad year. Safety is absolutely in play, especially if we pick in the playoff range of 19+. And then of course QB is in play if we are picking Top 12, and especially Top 7-8. 

Interior Offensive Line would be extremely unlikely, unless it’s by far BPA, and we pick like 22 or later. 

UAnyone have any thoughts on Elijah Mitchell, RB, UL-Lafayette?

If we're in the market for a RB2 around the 4th round or so, I've been pretty impressed with his last couple games. They have him listed at 5'11 218. Coming off of two statistically solid years, though I usually don't catch many UL games.

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Top 3 needs: RT, FS, WR. After that I can see us drafting backup RB, LB, CB for depth. 

Top 3 needs include RT when we still have Trent Brown under contract? And WR when a ton of draft capital on the position group the past two draft cycles and have 3 young WR's that the staff is really excited about? Meh. I can't really see us spending another early pick on a WR after we just drafted Ruggs in the 1st and Edwards in the 3rd in the 2020 draft. If those two along with Renfrow don't play well I'd bet money that we use the money we save from cutting Tyrell Williams to bring in a veteran.

DT is a much bigger need, Collins/Hankins are both free agents after this year and our interior pass rush looked abysmal again in week one. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Top 3 needs include RT when we still have Trent Brown under contract? And WR when a ton of draft capital on the position group the past two draft cycles and have 3 young WR's that the staff is really excited about? Meh. I can't really see us spending another early pick on a WR after we just drafted Ruggs in the 1st and Edwards in the 3rd in the 2020 draft. If those two along with Renfrow don't play well I'd bet money that we use the money we save from cutting Tyrell Williams to bring in a veteran.

DT is a much bigger need, Collins/Hankins are both free agents after this year and our interior pass rush looked abysmal again in week one. 

Brown is injury prone. I want to be stacked at WR. I agree with DT. 

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I think the only position completely 100% out of bounds in the 1st is RB. Who knows what this team will need by seasons end. Trent Brown could keep getting injured and we draft a OT. Could go WR again if the picks fall that way, doubtful though. Every DL position is certainly in play, especially DT. Hurst is not the answer and I doubt Collins is either. MLB is certainly in play and you have two studs in Parsons and Moses. CB could be in play again if Arnette or Mullen have a bad year. Safety is absolutely in play, especially if we pick in the playoff range of 19+. And then of course QB is in play if we are picking Top 12, and especially Top 7-8. 

Interior Offensive Line would be extremely unlikely, unless it’s by far BPA, and we pick like 22 or later. 

If we draft another WR in the first round I will lose my mind. If you look at the best teams in the league, the ones that have sustained success, they almost always spend their first round picks on getting better in the trenches. 

In the last ten drafts the 49ers, Chiefs, Patriots, Seahawks, and Saints have combined to take like 2 WR's in the 1st round. 

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Brown is injury prone. I want to be stacked at WR. I agree with DT. 

Brown is injury prone but unless we're going to cut him, which is definitely a possibility, then OT really isn't a need. One of the main reasons we sucked so bad with Al Davis at the helm is because we always draft skill position players early instead of building in the trenches first. We've spent so much draft capital on the WR room since Gruden got here, we've spent like 9 draft picks on WR's either by drafting guys or making trades. I think the only reason you realistically take a WR in the 1st or 2nd round this year is if you're pretty confident that Ruggs and/or Edwards is a bust. 

With Waller in the mix we already have a guy that's going to get 100+ targets every year and is essentially our #1 WR. Plus we have three young 1st/2nd year WR's that they're excited about, not to mention Jacobs is going to get a targets too. If you spend an early pick on another WR, especially in a run first offense, you're going to have an odd man out because there are only so many targets to go around for everyone. And when you look at the teams that are actually good and have been good like the 49ers, Chiefs, etc. none of those teams have went heavy on investing into their WR rooms. They've found good weapons and then built their teams up in the trenches. That's why they're Super Bowl contending teams and why we always have one of the worst pass rushes and defenses in the league, and have had one winning season in like 3 decades. 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If we draft another WR in the first round I will lose my mind. If you look at the best teams in the league, the ones that have sustained success, they almost always spend their first round picks on getting better in the trenches. 

In the last ten drafts the 49ers, Chiefs, Patriots, Seahawks, and Saints have combined to take like 2 WR's in the 1st round. 

I fully agree with you, WR is unlikely, nor would I want WR, just saying I wouldn’t rule anything out. I think if we pick Top 10 it’s QB, DE, or MLB. If we pick Top 20 it’s probably DT, OT, MLB, or FS. And if we pick after 20, that’s where legit anything comes into play minus RB (although WR is very unlikely).