2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I fully agree with you, WR is unlikely, nor would I want WR, just saying I wouldn’t rule anything out. I think if we pick Top 10 it’s QB, DE, or MLB. If we pick Top 20 it’s probably DT, OT, MLB, or FS. And if we pick after 20, that’s where legit anything comes into play minus RB (although WR is very unlikely). 

Building around skill position players is one of the best ways to remain mediocre. We just spent two premium picks on WR's in the 2020 draft. If those guys don't play well this year do you take a chance on another guy with a premium pick and pray he's better? Or just sign a veteran that has already proven he can produce at a high level? I think you have to go with the latter. 

We were able to sign Tyrell Williams for $11M per year and Michael Crabtree for $3M. We've seen in recent free agency cycles guys like Allen Robinson, John Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Robby Anderson, and Golden Tate all sign for $12M per year or less. In comparison if you're going to target a starting level edge/defensive tackle, you're going to have to pay $16M+ now. Which is why you build through the trenches because if you can find high quality starters and keep them around for 5 years on a rookie deal, you can spend money elsewhere and actually build a good team. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Building around skill position players is one of the best ways to remain mediocre. We just spent two premium picks on WR's in the 2020 draft. If those guys don't play well this year do you take a chance on another guy with a premium pick and pray he's better? Or just sign a veteran that has already proven he can produce at a high level? I think you have to go with the latter. 

We were able to sign Tyrell Williams for $11M per year and Michael Crabtree for $3M. We've seen in recent free agency cycles guys like Allen Robinson, John Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Robby Anderson, and Golden Tate all sign for $12M per year or less. In comparison if you're going to target a starting level edge/defensive tackle, you're going to have to pay $16M+ now. Which is why you build through the trenches because if you can find high quality starters and keep them around for 5 years on a rookie deal, you can spend money elsewhere and actually build a good team. 

You don't have to keep preaching to me, I don't like WR's in the 1st. This is Jon Gruden though, was just saying it's a possibility if all our WR's under perform this season and we pick 15 or later.

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You don't have to keep preaching to me, I don't like WR's in the 1st. This is Jon Gruden though, was just saying it's a possibility if all our WR's under perform this season and we pick 15 or later.

Look at the Cowboys who had Cooper and Gallup but wanted to be "stacked" at WR so they took Lamb. Looking real good today allowing 40 points and Gallup isn't getting the targets he should because there are only so many passes to go around for everyone. 

But I agree a first round WR is a possibility if Ruggs and/or Edwards look like busts. But then again, if you took 2 WR's with premium picks and they both suck, or one sucks, are you going to spend another premium pick on one? Or just cut Tyrell Williams and pursue one of the proven veteran WR's on the free agent market? 

Edited by NYRaider

18 hours ago, BayRaider said:

If we're picking 15 or later with 2 rookie WRs starting, I can't see how they will have underperformed realistic expectations. 

WR shouldn't come until the 4th or later for us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If we're picking 15 or later with 2 rookie WRs starting, I can't see how they will have underperformed realistic expectations. 

WR shouldn't come until the 4th or later for us. 

I also can't see how if the passing game struggles because we had two rookie WR's starting, Gruden/Mayock would think the solution is to draft another rookie WR to come in and contribute, lol. 

I’ll just have to agree to disagree with a bunch of you on drafting a WR.  

I wouldn’t want to spend a 1st on a WR, but IF a WR with very good value was there AND whose skillset fit the team very very well I’d consider taking a WR in rounds 2-4.    The situation would have to be near perfect.  I wouldn’t go into the draft eager to draft a WR but i also wouldn’t be blind to the possibility of it.  Plus, it looks to be a solid WR class again.

I don’t think any of the elite WR Upcoming FAs like Golliday and Allen Robinson Hit the market.  The Steelers play FA differently so I think Juju might but if he does hit the open market (and he has a rebound year) he’s gonna be too expensive IMO.  I don’t think we have the money to spend 12+M on a WR.  
Id target Corey Davis, who could be a value addition at a moderate price. No one else really excites me at all.

I find it funny that the people arguing Edwards is going to get 800+ yards are discounting the possible production of another rookie WR.  

FS and DT are the major needs and I suspect we try and sign one in FA and leave the other for the first round.  Besides that LB and WR are the only secondary needs.  Depth can be had in rounds 4-7 and in FA.  

I’m not ready to crown Edwards the next 1000yd WR, like some are, because of a few hyperbolic quotes during TC.  Even if he shows he can be a solid WR2 I think we need another weapon.  I don’t care if we sign a FA or draft one.... we just need another WR to take the next step.  What happens if Edwards gets hurt? We’d only have Ruggs and Renfrow.  We need a 3rd outside WR.

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

What happens if Edwards gets hurt? We’d only have Ruggs and Renfrow.  We need a 3rd outside WR.

You can find veteran depth cheap in free agency like we did with Nelson Agholor. Based on this logic we should draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round as well. It's a much more important position and what if Carr gets hurt? 

5 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Another guy who could be a good free agent is Corey Davis. Idk if he will go back to Titans but he solid starter with some unrealized potential. Also, we shouldn’t expect rookie wideouts to put up monster numbers, they usually don’t. 

Davis is a stud. I don't imagine Tenn will let him sniff FA. 

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

You can find veteran depth cheap in free agency like we did with Nelson Agholor. Based on this logic we should draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round as well. It's a much more important position and what if Carr gets hurt? 

That’s absolutely not any type of logic that’s transferable in the absolute least.... again you distort someone’s opinion.

itd be equivalent to spending a 3rd on a developmental OT / swing tackle.

guys like Nelson Agholor are not good enough to win with as starters / 3rd WRs

Edited by jimkelly02

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Davis is a stud. I don't imagine Tenn will let him sniff FA. 

I really wanted us to trade for Davis and cut Williams.  I said it like 5x at least.  He’s the WR to target in FA if they price is right.

obvuously I’d rather fill holes in FA rather than the draft.... but either way we need another outside weapon.

33 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

lol 😂 defense is so trash...: stop playing soft zone 

I think we do that cuz PG sucks AND we don’t have the FS, pass rush, and coverage LBs outside of CL to play tight.  It’s easy to say okay tight but when you have Erik Harris as your FS, young CBs, and no pass rush it’s what you gotta do most of the time..... but yes in situations we need to mix it up and tighten up coversge