2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Had a pro day and ran fast.... tale as old as time. Thus far in here, every position of need that ran a fast 40 has gotten the "I'd take him at 17 treatement". Example: Horn.

Horn is very good. He shouldn't be available at 17. He's a better prospect than CJ Henderson last year. The testing is just icing on the cake.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Turnobili said:

TCU didnt play cover 1/3. what's evident from watching him is his ball skills, anticipation, range, closing speed, etc. he's made to play single high

Correct they didn’t play cover 1 or 3.  They played a lot of 2 high with Moehrig and Washington.   Idk why someone said he might not have the eyes and instincts to play single high... that wasn’t just a differing opinion it was false information.   Eyes and Instincts (and intelligence/film prep) and reaction time are what makes Moehrig so good.

I don’t think he’ll have any problem moving from double high to single high.  It’s incredibly rare college players play the exact same scheme in the pros.  There’s always a transition.  But there is plenty of tape of his rage to not only eliminate any questions of his ability to play single high but to excel at it.

the massive massive plus for Moehrig is his man to man coverage skills.  You can put him On TEs and even slot WRs or in a zone scheme have him pick up routes over the deep middle.  

I see so moderate to major coverage knocks on this guy.  The only negative at all is he isn’t a box safety too.  He’s very willing to Come up and hit... which to be is 80% of it, but he can be aggressive and miss sometimes.... but not Grant Delpit level by any means. 

9 hours ago, Turnobili said:

since when did Phillips get this kind of hype train?

really dont get the "IF HE'S THERE we have to take him." its a virtual lock that he's there at 17 lol

i dont dislike him but this kind of talk seems to have come out of nowhere. he would certainly be an upgrade to Cle as the DE opposite Yannick, but i dont know that Grudock are going to make that a priority in the draft, unfortunately (i've been on record saying i'd love Ojulari at 17, i just dont think its going to happen)

He has medicals, so frankly, he might not be on some boards come draft day.  

If he checks out completely, I don't think it's a lock that he is still there.  Paye, Oweh, and Phillips all had rare pro days for EDGE players.  This isn't simply someone running a good 40.  Lot of people ran good 40's.  

The analytics make it clear that the stud EDGE guys all hit certain minimums in their testing.  They are rare enough that we go entire seasons where people don't hit those thresholds. EDGE guys don't fall in the draft, not ones that test the way we saw the last few days.  I predict you'll start to see mocks reflect that with those three names (and Rousseau drop down, just a guess).  

Phillips tested on Montez Sweat/Myles Garrett levels.  And he put sick tape out there.  He had no hype coming into the season, so he wasn't ranked highly to start.  

We think it's a virtual lock, why?  Because of the early mocks we've been looking at (which history tells us are comically wrong)?  

4 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I still think that Rousseau is a it better prospect. 

Also when Rousseau opted out of 2020 Miami gave his number (15) to Phillips and it looks like some of the highlights are Rousseau not Phillips.

Rousseau isn't close for me. He's an undersized DT and shouldn't be played at DE. His film was poor and so was a lot of his atheistic measurables.

Reminds me a lot of Key. Don't see the translation to the NFL.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Correct they didn’t play cover 1 or 3.  They played a lot of 2 high with Moehrig and Washington.   Idk why someone said he might not have the eyes and instincts to play single high... that wasn’t just a differing opinion it was false information.   Eyes and Instincts (and intelligence/film prep) and reaction time are what makes Moehrig so good.

I don’t think he’ll have any problem moving from double high to single high.  It’s incredibly rare college players play the exact same scheme in the pros.  There’s always a transition.  But there is plenty of tape of his rage to not only eliminate any questions of his ability to play single high but to excel at it.

the massive massive plus for Moehrig is his man to man coverage skills.  You can put him On TEs and even slot WRs or in a zone scheme have him pick up routes over the deep middle.  

I see so moderate to major coverage knocks on this guy.  The only negative at all is he isn’t a box safety too.  He’s very willing to Come up and hit... which to be is 80% of it, but he can be aggressive and miss sometimes.... but not Grant Delpit level by any means. 

My thing with him is it’s not that I don’t think he can is that I don’t know if he can based on what I’ve seen. It looks like he’s a very good matchup player but I’ve never seen him do anything that would require range from a single high perspective.

22 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

Rousseau isn't close for me. He's an undersized DT and shouldn't be played at DE. His film was poor and so was a lot of his atheistic measurables.

Reminds me a lot of Key. Don't see the translation to the NFL.

Basically

5 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I still think that Rousseau is a it better prospect. 

Also when Rousseau opted out of 2020 Miami gave his number (15) to Phillips and it looks like some of the highlights are Rousseau not Phillips.

I don’t like Rousseau at all tbh. And they’re pretty easy to tell apart. Skin tones are apparent.

So much of Rousseas production came from clean up plays or going unblocked. He never looks like he has a plan or any real rushing moves outside. 

physically gifted, sure, but outside his height, doesn’t really seem like he’s an outlier athlete compared to others in this class. 

reminds me of all the rashan Gary chatter when winovich was always the rusher who stood out on their tape

Edited by Turnobili

12 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

I don’t like Rousseau at all tbh. And they’re pretty easy to tell apart. Skin tones are apparent.

So much of Rousseas production came from clean up plays or going unblocked. He never looks like he has a plan or any real rushing moves outside. 

physically gifted, sure, but outside his height, doesn’t really seem like he’s an outlier athlete compared to others in this class. 

reminds me of all the rashan Gary chatter when winovich was always the rusher who stood out on their tape

Yeah he's not a speed pass rusher but he has a knack for getting to the QB.  In simple terms he has the it factor. In my opinion both him and Zaven Collins just have something extra. They just make plays over and over again.

37 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

I wanted Winovich.  Man I'll say that every time.  It is what it is though.

30 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Yeah he's not a speed pass rusher but he has a knack for getting to the QB.  In simple terms he has the it factor. In my opinion both him and Zaven Collins just have something extra. They just make plays over and over again.

So what your saying is, his stats look incredible but his film and measurable don't so that's worth a 1st round pick? 

I know what I'd trust.

Incredibly raw pass rush moves, skinny frame, 4.74u 40 time, 30" vert, 7.50 3 cone. Won because he's got long arms against terrible Gaurds and got cover sacks.  

Rousseau Hasn’t even shown he could win on the edge in college. There is a reason why he opted out. Lined up at DT 80 percent of his sacks which he just use his length to beat the OGs and then when they did have him line up on the EDGE is was for a stunt that would have him go inside. Gregory is the biggest fools gold there is. If I’m taking a EDGE that is a complete build up like he is im taking Oweh. Who has the elite traits that you would look for into a raw protect. Gregory just has length.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

So what your saying is, his stats look incredible but his film and measurable don't so that's worth a 1st round pick? 

I know what I'd trust.

Incredibly raw pass rush moves, skinny frame, 4.74u 40 time, 30" vert, 7.50 3 cone. Won because he's got long arms against terrible Gaurds and got cover sacks.  

Yes that's why a lot of Pro scouts have him ranked as the #1 DE. The 40 time for DEs are overrated Case Young ran a 4.94 and he's doing fine.