2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, massraider said:

When do you take the risk if teams have him off the board.  I wasn't that high on Hurst coming out. Thought he was a round 2 player not a top 15 that people thought.  While Phillps is a real top 15 player, maybe even the best defensive player in the draft if you count positional value.

If he drops out of the 1st, does a team risk it im the 2nd?

If its that bad to make teams look past him in the 1st, I can't see them wanting to risk a 2nd on him either. 

If he's on the board at 80 we better run the pick in.  We wasted 80 last year on a wildcat QB. We can sure potentially waste  another 80 on a player like that. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'll take it. I'm still high on Hurst. Guenther putting collins in front of him is poor judgment. He's going to take the next step if they give him snaps this year.

Imagine making Collins a team captain wtf were they thinking 

1 hour ago, OnlyGlove said:

If he's on the board at 80 we better run the pick in.  We wasted 80 last year on a wildcat QB. We can sure potentially waste  another 80 on a player like that. 

Sure, injury history can be ugly, but dude is a legit 1st round talent with prototypical size and ridiculous athleticism. Unlike Bowden, we know his position and what we can expect. 

That being said, if Phillips fell to 80, I would hesitate to take him. Hurst's size didn't help him, but his medical snag was a heart condition. Not to downplay it, but it's apparently a treatable thing or he wouldn't be playing. 

Phillips' injury history is one of getting banged up and physically damaged- things that will almost assuredly only get worse at the NFL level. 

If teams are worried enough for him to make it out of the top 50, I'd say that's a really bad sign, and Edge just isn't a big enough need to reach like that. Now  if he's still around on day 3, pull the trigger. 

Fwiw, I still think he goes in round 1. 

16 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Sure, injury history can be ugly, but dude is a legit 1st round talent with prototypical size and ridiculous athleticism. Unlike Bowden, we know his position and what we can expect. 

That being said, if Phillips fell to 80, I would hesitate to take him. Hurst's size didn't help him, but his medical snag was a heart condition. Not to downplay it, but it's apparently a treatable thing or he wouldn't be playing. 

Phillips' injury history is one of getting banged up and physically damaged- things that will almost assuredly only get worse at the NFL level. 

If teams are worried enough for him to make it out of the top 50, I'd say that's a really bad sign, and Edge just isn't a big enough need to reach like that. Now  if he's still around on day 3, pull the trigger. 

Fwiw, I still think he goes in round 1. 

Only problem is I think if he gets to the 4th round he's gone in the first few picks and we never have a chance. Rather risk it with 80 and roll the dice with that.

We waste a 3rd every year. Might aswell keep it going

• Like 1

10 hours ago, massraider said:

Me too.  Been following the draft for a looong time.

Rule 1:  Bendy edge guys don't fall.  In fact, they get over-drafted.  

If he does, you know he's physically cooked.  

Arden Key fell to the 3rd. He was considered a top 5 pick at one point in his college career. Drew comparisons to Von Miller and Danielle Hunter. Physically, everything you look for in an elite pass rusher. 

Despite that, he fell because of injury and his weight concerns and his production dropped.

Shame Raiders could never develop him.

I wouldn't take Phillips in round 1 with his concussion history. He's one hit away from his career being over. Medically retiring from concussions in 2018 can't be overlooked. He played all of 10 games at UCLA and had 3 concussions before retiring.

He came back, stayed healthy but once you have a concussion it becomes easier to get another one. 

To big a risk for the Raiders in round 1 for a player who may not see a full career. He has aspirations to be a music producer/rapper so could be a quick retirement if he gets banged up.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Arden Key fell to the 3rd. He was considered a top 5 pick at one point in his college career. Drew comparisons to Von Miller and Danielle Hunter. Physically, everything you look for in an elite pass rusher. 

Despite that, he fell because of injury and his weight concerns and his production dropped.

Key was never that good to begin with, like Rousseau his stats look good but the tape and measurables don't. 

No power, explosion, hands or bend.  Testing numbers were incredibly bad and it wasn't hard to predict he'd fail in the NFL.

Not athletic and twitchy enough to be 3rd down pass rusher and frame to small to be a power rusher or play the run. 

For comparison, Crosby was 30ibs heavier while being the same hight but ran almost 0.30s faster in the 40 and .20 in the 3 cone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

Key was never that good to begin with, like Rousseau his stats look good but the tape and measurables don't. 

No power, explosion, hands or bend.  Testing numbers were incredibly bad and it wasn't hard to predict he'd fail in the NFL.

Not athletic and twitchy enough to be 3rd down pass rusher and frame to small to be a power rusher or play the run. 

For comparison, Crosby was 30ibs heavier while being the same hight but ran almost 0.30s faster in the 40 and .20 in the 3 cone.

Key had off field questions as well, if I recall.  Drug test questions, and weight fluctuation. 

When you show up at Combine at 240 or whatever he was, and don't jump or run well, you are in a bad way.  Good 3 cone time.  Crosby's was great, Key's was good.

Still drafted in the 3rd.  

Phillips/Oweh/Paye had sick testing stats.  Tryon had a great day.  

I mean, Oweh is probably a 1st or 2nd rounder.  Had no sacks this season.  

17 minutes ago, massraider said:

Key had off field questions as well, if I recall.  Drug test questions, and weight fluctuation. 

When you show up at Combine at 240 or whatever he was, and don't jump or run well, you are in a bad way.  Good 3 cone time.  Crosby's was great, Key's was good.

Still drafted in the 3rd.  

Phillips/Oweh/Paye had sick testing stats.  Tryon had a great day.  

I mean, Oweh is probably a 1st or 2nd rounder.  Had no sacks this season.  

For me Owen and Tryon are only 1st/2nd and 2nd/early 3rd round players if your going to run a scheme like the Ravens or Steelers. Think you need to use them like Bud Dupree or Mathew Judon.

17. Las Vegas Raiders

Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

The Raiders were one of seven teams to allow north of 260 passing yards per game last season. In a division with Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert, that's a significant issue. Moehrig is the class's top safety and has terrific ball skills, which might help improve the Raiders' total of 10 interceptions in 2020. Las Vegas could also look at Christian Darrisaw (Virginia Tech) or Alijah Vera-Tucker if he is still available after dismantling its offensive line over the past month.

48. Las Vegas Raiders

Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas

The Raiders tore down their line this offseason, meaning it will be a focus at the draft. Cosmi is massive and agile for his 6-foot-7 size, but his technique could use some work. And it's worth pointing out that he could pop inside to guard.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31165378/nfl-mock-draft-2021-todd-mcshay-predictions-all-64-picks-rounds-1-2-plus-where-seven-qbs-land

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He got hurt the beginning of his of second year and was never the same.