2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

They did have 16 or 17 INTS that year so thats what helped them on defense. You can be a bad defense and still have success just need to be good at creating turnovers. 

Yeah, I never understand why people were so insistent on that defense being good.  We all loved Mack, but the results of that defense is no different than our current one.  Making a stop to seal a 34-30 game doesn't make a defense good. I say for the millionth time.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 12:58 PM, NYRaider said:

68 points through 2 weeks says otherwise.

2 weeks: 2 catches for 42 yards and 1 TD.  Only played 12 then 15 snaps... both 19% of the snaps.

again your being disingenuous.  Your attributing the offenses success to Nelson Agholor.... just to try and prove a point of yours.... when you know he hasn’t had much of an impact outside of 1 TD.  

Agholor is a solid WR4.... a guy whose a very good compliment to Renfrow as a slot WR.... a versatile WR, as be can play slot and outside.... and A PIECE to a quality WR core.  

But he’s a piece of a rotation and nothing more.  He certainly brings value and can be productive.  But he’s not someone you can rely on to carry the load.  

My contention has always been we need more weapons at WR.  Ruggs looks like he’s got what it takes to become the WR1 on a team that spreads the ball around.  Edwards is starting to look like he could become a good WR2 / the other starter.  Renfrow is a good but limited slot WR.  He’s simply limited physically, yet can be very productive in a role that suits his skills.  But those limitations mean we need  another slot WR whose strengths are Renfrow’s weaknesses.  I said from day 1 Agholor has the skillset to be a very good complimentary slot WR, who can also play outside occasionally.

But Agholor and Zay Jones are FA and big certain to return next year.

Because we lack a high volume WR target and thus spread the ball around it requires having talent throughout the WR core and having a group of WRs have unique skillsets.  Gruden rotates in 5 WRs and even the 4th and 5th WRs (Agholor and Jones) play 20% of the snaps.

Thats why I said ......

if there’s very good value in the draft in rounds 2-3 I’d personally consider drafting another WR, if we don’t sign a quality WR first in FA.  Ideally, Agholor and Jones are productive and are able to be resigned but it’s unlikely both do and are retained.  

If we go into the draft ....

needing a WR to sure up the 5 WR rotation AND

there’s Very Positive Value in rounds 2-3 AND

we’ve addressed FS+DL via FA and round 1 ....

then I’d be up for drafting a WR that has a unique, near dominating skillset that that fits well withIn the WR core.  If we want to be a playoff team and even a contender we need more weapons (plus development from the current players).  

I wouldn’t mind either another big physical WR like Edwards or another Speed WR. 

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

2 weeks: 2 catches for 42 yards and 1 TD.  Only played 12 then 15 snaps... both 19% of the snaps.

again your being disingenuous.  Your attributing the offenses success to Nelson Agholor.... just to try and prove a point of yours.... when you know he hasn’t had much of an impact outside of 1 TD.  

Agholor is a solid WR4.... a guy whose a very good compliment to Renfrow as a slot WR.... a versatile WR, as be can play slot and outside.... and A PIECE to a quality WR core.  

As i've said before our need for a #1 WR that's a high volume guy is overblown because we have Waller who provides similar production. We don't need to invest more premium draft capital into the WR room. If we want to bring Agholor and/or Jones back we will be able to do so cheaply. And if we can't we'll be able to replace them cheaply via trade or free agency. Both are young players and former 1st/2nd round picks that have produced in the past. And we were able to acquire Agholor for $1.5M in free agency and Jones for a 6th round pick. 

Would wait to see what Ruggs/Edwards season looks like in it's totality before assessing what we do or don't need when it comes to further investment in the position. If Edwards shows he can handle more volume and make some plays down the field, we can feel pretty confident about the Ruggs-Edwards-Renfrow trio (with Waller of course) as being the core, and I don't know that we'd be wise to spend Day 1-2 draft picks on our WR4/5 guys like Agholor or Zay Jones (both of whom will be unrestricted free agents after this season).

imo emphasis on the draft (barring a massive BPA gap) should be in the trenches, starting with the defensive side. Need some explosive players there, period. Offensively, we need to lock up Good for a multi-year deal, but draft a better tackle than Sam Young who can potentially take over for Trent Brown if he stays hobbled and/or overpaid.

Edited by Turnobili

I’m not a big fan of this DL class. Our most needed position ironically. Also not a fan of the S class, another much needed position. 

Parsons and Moses might be a no brainer if available but I think they will both be gone Top 15. 

I do love DE Basham though, even though I think the DL class as a whole is quite lackluster. Basham is a very good pass rusher and can easily develop into a complete player. His projections seem to be all over the place. I’ve seen Top 10, I’ve seen as late as 25 sometimes. Hopefully we can nab him. He’s my preferred pick at the moment. 

1) Parsons (would need super early pick)

2) Basham

3) Moses

I’m also still not ruling out QB if we somehow faulter here on out and Pick Top 12ish. I like Carr’s start, but we’ve seen this story before. I personally hope he keeps it up as it’d be one less position we’d have to worry about. 

3 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

What about trading up for that edge rusher from the U. We need a special pass rusher on the edge, been a need since Mack was traded. Also need a special DT but a lot of free agent DT. We already have a lot of young talent on defense just need that special player to make it work. 

He’s not worth trading up for. Honestly him and Basham are pretty close for me to be honest. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

623 yards and 5 TD's today, good for him. He can definitely play himself into the 1st/2nd round with a strong season. 

Yeah I think one game might of already propelled him into the 2nd Round. 3rd for sure. I think he was a 4th coming into the season. 

If he plays that way every week, he could absolutely propel himself as high as the Mid 1st and 4th QB taken. 

• Like 1