2021 NFL Draft Thread

54 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Because lists and opinions have to be semi congruent to the masses to be taken seriously?

I one is demanding group think but Nixon above Surtain... come on!  Not everything is a unique, valid viewpoint, sometimes people think dumb stuff.

the fact that your even on the BR site shows your seeking different opinions because they’re not exactly the “first stop” for mock drafts.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Because Patrick Surtain is a better overall prospect than Davyion Nixon. 

Because the media and draft gurus say so? Not arguing he's not, but if you can't take a counter opinion serious, then you are just parroting the the media. Nixon is a fine player and could outshine Surtain easily. 

People would have laughed it off if someone ranked Maxx Crosby over Johnathan Abram in 2019, but here we are.

My point... the draft is a crap shoot. Outside the top 7-10 picks, most guys are very similar in relative talent and the only measure of value are these draft gurus "rankings".

And every year we see players that the media like more than the GMs/scouts. Further, wouldn't be the first time an Alabama CB was ranked high and didn't live up to the expectations. 

Edited by big_palooka
38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Because the media and draft gurus say so? Not arguing he's not, but if you can't take a counter opinion serious, then you are just parroting the the media. Nixon is a fine player and could outshine Surtain easily. 

People would have laughed it off if someone ranked Maxx Crosby over Johnathan Abram in 2019, but here we are.

My point... the draft is a crap shoot. Outside the top 7-1.0 picks, most guys are very similar in relative talent and the only measure of value are these draft gurus "rankings"

And every year we see players that the media like more than the GMs/scouts. Further, wouldn't be the first time an Alabama CB was ranked high and didn't live up to the expectations. 

You know what the funny thing is? I actually agree with you. I'm a big proponent of anti-hype when it comes to draft prospects. Let me start by saying that. It's why I watch film. Actually think people that don't watch film are victims to popular opinion and mock drafts and things like that. It's actually why I don't see why Richie Grants is considered such a bad Idea for us at 17. And also contrary to popular opinion, I actually liked Damon Arnette coming out before we drafted him(I gave a long detailed reason on here like a month ago). 

That being said Patrick Surtain is better for numerous obvious reasons:

For one he was a number #1 corner on a team that is a perennial championship contender in the most difficult division in college football since he was a freshman. Because of that he's gone against many great receivers to come out in the draft throughout the years and has done really well. 

Besides the fact that That he's a great athlete, He's also considered one of if not the smartest player on the team. Nick Saban mentioned how he gives every player a homework assignment to do a scouting report on the person who plays against then went on to mention that Patrick Surtain gives a better scouting report than he does. Also you have to figure the Nick Saban has coached almost 2 decades of NFL 1st round talent including at corner. Of all of the top corners this year you can tell he's the best technician(I played corner my entire life so I know what tactician looks like versus someone who wins with athleticism). This is all not to mention his Pedigree As the son of a former pro bowler. In my opinion, I think he's the most complete player at his position and one of the most complete players in the draft period.

The only Alabama corner I've ever seen not live up to their first round grade was the Dee Milner who came out in 2013 which was considered of the worst draft ever in general. 

Davion Nixon(Who I like a lot by the way as a day 2 guy) on the other hand is a JUCO Transfer(Nothing wrong with that; so was I)  Who is though is very athletic for his position(see his interception against against Penn State) is in a world beater by any means. You can tell that he's not a complete player yet because he doesn't have a lot of pass rush moves and doesn't really use his hands well(Yet). 

His statistics are pretty average. And he played In the big 10 which isn't bad by any means but it's not The SEC conference loaded with five star recruits and future NFL level talent(Which is why I like Barmore better than him btw). And you can tell a child when Nixon win against better lines that he wasnt as dominant. Maybe he goes in the bottom of the first round but I think Surtain goes top 10. 

Based on what I've seen from both of them, I don't think its close. IMO the only Way Daviyon Nixon outshines Patrick Surtain as if he gets hurt or something and never recovers. 

Edited by Jeremy408
9 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

4.5 is good enough for Grant. Raiders are gonna need to move up in the second round, but they have the ammo to do it. 

I get what you’re saying but depend on who else is there I wouldn’t mind him at 17 either. Overall moving down in the first or up in the second is what’s preferred

5 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

UFC actually got some nice talent in the secondary so glad to see the Raiders there

I was about to say this. Grant, Gowen and Robinson are all interesting. 

Just watched some Jamar Johnson and really like him. But not sure he's a FS. Think he can do it but think he's more of a cover 2 guy. 

• Like 1

I dont think there is any possible way you would take Grant at 17. I been high on Grant for months, but picking him at 17 would be a head scratching move. 

Teven put up 36 on the bench press with a 4.91 40 his traits are just dumb and Cable loves traits more then anything

Also have to love his quote

"Tough, physical, nasty ****. A dude who does not shy away from hits. A dude's who is going to bust his ***."

38 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I dont think there is any possible way you would take Grant at 17. I been high on Grant for months, but picking him at 17 would be a head scratching move. 

Teven put up 36 on the bench press with a 4.91 40 his traits are just dumb and Cable loves traits more then anything

"Tough, physical, nasty ****. A dude who does not shy away from hits. A dude's who is going to bust his ***."

I just wish Teven had better feet... but then he’s be OT2.  There’s a lot love, a lot to like, but a couple things to really be fearful of.

And yeah Grant at 17.... I’m not even gonna acknowledge the possibility of that.... no way 

Edited by jimkelly02
5 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Theoretically if he stayed healthy he would be the perfect fit for the scheme and he's young so he would be great for the future too. The only negative on him as a single high safety that you can say is that he's not the best tackler. But you don't make as many tackles when you're the single high safety Because the rest of the defense is designed to stacked the box.

You want a consistent tackler more so then an aggressive hitter or tackler back there cuz their the last line of defense.... and Hooker isn’t either lol 

11 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

You want a consistent tackler more so then an aggressive hitter or tackler back there cuz their the last line of defense.... and Hooker isn’t either lol 

Right. best tacker options are grant and Boston 

8 hours ago, massraider said:

You spend 20 minutes on YouTube chasing this kid's name around, you're gonna want him for the Raiders.  

idk he's 23 and played in a weak conference.... I would be letdown if he was the guy at 17

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Tevin is my favorite lineman in this entire draft. That said the pickings are slim at single high safety.  I wouldn’t be mad at Tevin at 1#17

• Like 1