2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Slanted agenda? 

We'll just look at it from a points allowed perspective. 

In Seattle his defenses ranked 25th (2009), 25th (2010), 7th (2011), 1st (2012). In the 4 seasons after he left they ranked 1st (2013), 1st (2014), 2nd (2015), 5th (2016). He was there at the beginning of the LOB but all of those guys and their defense in general improved after he left. 

In Jacksonville his defenses ranked 28th (2013), 26th (2014), 31st (2015), 25th (2016).

In Los Angeles his defenses ranked 3rd (2017), 8th (2018), 14th (2019), and 23rd (2020). 

So with the Chargers his defenses got progressively worse over his 4 year tenure to the point that they fired their coaching staff. If he's a great coach/developer of talent why did they get worse every year he was there? 

I'm not super excited about him, but let's give him some credit on some things we haven't had in these parts for a while. 

He left before the LOB hit full swing, but he helped create it. I wouldn't be so inclined, but then he assembled the makings of the Sacksonville D. Too bad he got fired before he could be credited with how they played. And in Los Angeles, they dealt with a good few injuries to key guys during his stint. 

I'm not saying his COACHING is great, and I'm not trying to gloss over your points of teams improving after he goes or the Chargers regressing. But the guy clearly has an eye for TALENT SCOUTING. 

Fixing our D will realistically take 2-3 seasons of we're being honest. I don't expect us to go from worst to first in the AFCW, much less the AFC, and certainly not the NFL. But if Bradley's trend continues, we could very well have a brewing monster awaiting whether he's ultimately retained or sent packing. 

Not a bad potential consolation prize if you ask me. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Slanted agenda? 

We'll just look at it from a points allowed perspective. 

In Seattle his defenses ranked 25th (2009), 25th (2010), 7th (2011), 1st (2012). In the 4 seasons after he left they ranked 1st (2013), 1st (2014), 2nd (2015), 5th (2016). He was there at the beginning of the LOB but all of those guys and their defense in general improved after he left. 

In Jacksonville his defenses ranked 28th (2013), 26th (2014), 31st (2015), 25th (2016).

In Los Angeles his defenses ranked 3rd (2017), 8th (2018), 14th (2019), and 23rd (2020). 

So with the Chargers his defenses got progressively worse over his 4 year tenure to the point that they fired their coaching staff. If he's a great coach/developer of talent why did they get worse every year he was there? 

No disrespect intended I just noticed that your style of debate is to formulate an opinion (some of which I agree with) and then seek out stats that support your opinion while disregarding context. Nothing wrong with it but doesn’t lend itself to insightful discussion. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm not super excited about him, but let's give him some credit on some things we haven't had in these parts for a while. 

He left before the LOB hit full swing, but he helped create it. I wouldn't be so inclined, but then he assembled the makings of the Sacksonville D. Too bad he got fired before he could be credited with how they played. And in Los Angeles, they dealt with a good few injuries to key guys during his stint. 

I'm not saying his COACHING is great, and I'm not trying to gloss over your points of teams improving after he goes or the Chargers regressing. But the guy clearly has an eye for TALENT SCOUTING. 

Fixing our D will realistically take 2-3 seasons of we're being honest. I don't expect us to go from worst to first in the AFCW, much less the AFC, and certainly not the NFL. But if Bradley's trend continues, we could very well have a brewing monster awaiting whether he's ultimately retained or sent packing. 

Not a bad potential consolation prize if you ask me. 

That's all I'm saying. We can't ignore the good things that he's done. 

Gunther on the other....

1. Hand inherited a defense that Mike Zimmer and Marvin Lewis created that was already 4th lowest points allowed/3rd lowest points allowed 

2. had never coached a defense with a rookie starter or a starter younger than 24 years old on it all of his years in Cincinnati. 

Two completely different caliber of defensive coordinators

Edited by Jeremy408

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Which is pathetic considering we've spent 3 1sts and a 2nd on defensive players over the last two drafts. 

When you look at how much we've spent just on the D-line for objectively poor results over the last 5+ years, it's even worse.

53 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

When you look at how much we've spent just on the D-line for objectively poor results over the last 5+ years, it's even worse.

I think poor coaching is a lot of that. But the drafts haven't been up to snuff. Mayock has done decent, but we need some defensive production this year. DB's do take time though so the 1st to 2nd year/2nd to 3rd year jumps could be decent.

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd give Kris Richard more create for helping build/develop the LOB then I'd give Bradley. 

Richard can have more credit, I just don't think it's that easy to discount Bradley. 

Like I said, I think he has more of an eye for talent than coaching skill. If all he does for us is sets us up with players someone else can mold into a respectable D, he'll have already done more than Gruden and Mayock lol

11 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Like I said, I think he has more of an eye for talent than coaching skill. If all he does for us is sets us up with players someone else can mold into a respectable D, he'll have already done more than Gruden and Mayock lol

I think it's iffy to say he has an eye for talent. Pete Carroll was making the personnel decisions for the Seahawks and their defense didn't miss a beat once he left. The LOB literally got better under Quinn and Richard. 

In Jacksonville his defenses were terrible all 4 years there and in LA the Chargers got progressively worse every year he was the DC.