2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I think it's iffy to say he has an eye for talent. Pete Carroll was making the personnel decisions for the Seahawks and their defense didn't miss a beat once he left. The LOB literally got better under Quinn and Richard

In Jacksonville his defenses were terrible all 4 years there and in LA the Chargers got progressively worse every year he was the DC. 

They ranked 1st in 2012, his last season with the team. You can't get much better than that. 

Look at the key members:

Richard Sherman- 2011

Kam Chancellor- 2010

Earl Thomas- 2010

Brandon Browner- 2011

Byron Maxwell- 2011

To add, the LOB's supporting cast of Wright, Irvin, and Wagner were all 2011 or 2012 additions. 

The complete Seattle D as it was known didn't even have a full season together before Bradley was out the door. They ranked 1st that year and, as is nature, played better as they grew into a seasoned team. You can't hold that against Bradley. 

In Jacksonville, he started out his tenure with a horrible roster overall in 2013. 

In 2014, they added Aaron Colvin, who couldn't even play yet, and Telvin Smith.

In 2015, they added Fowler, who couldn't play yet.

In 2016, they added Gipson, Ramsey, Yanniick, and Jack. 

Good units aren't built overnight. If Jacksonville had an operable offense during that time, Bradley may never even have been let go before those players turned into one of the league's best defenses. 

Again, I'm not discounting his time with the Chargers being lackluster. He's going to have to prove me wrong on that. But I can't hate him for being gone the year after he gets a solid group together. He left Seattle for a HC gig, as anyone would. And in Jacksonville, he was trying to build a team and got canned in large part because his QB was Blake Bortles. Still, twice under his watch, poop turned into pure gold. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth, Jevon Holland dispelled concerns of his speed with a 4.45 40 during his pro day. 

I remember saying as much not long ago when his high school 4.7 was brought up. 

Not sure it changes anyone's opinion of him as a CB or S, but thought it was noteworthy. 

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He coached KJ Wright for 2 years and Bobby Wagner for 1 year and they both also got much better after Bradley left. 

It’s not uncommon for players that are young to get better as they get older. But again he was the one who made them starters(as he did with all of them). And he also made the Defense number #1 overall in 2012 the year before he left. There’s no way around that

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He coached KJ Wright for 2 years and Bobby Wagner for 1 year and they both also got much better after Bradley left. 

Peyton Manning had his best year under Gary Kubiak and Adam Gase. Actually, he probably had his best overall stint under them. 

Are we going to say Gary Kubiak and Adam Gase are better than Tony Dungy and Tom Moore? 

Of course a 2nd year player and 1st year player got better. Nobody lights it up as a rookie and gets worse without it being an issue of them busting or otherwise failing in the league. The entire expectation is that guys will get better. Heck, practically this entire forum, sans me, you, and a couple other guys, defends Gruden and Mayock under the premise that their chosen guys will get better. You yourself have debated me that Henry Ruggs will get better as time goes on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

For what it's worth, Jevon Holland dispelled concerns of his speed with a 4.45 40 during his pro day. 

Not sure it changes anyone's opinion of him as a CB or S, but thought it was noteworthy. 

Imo, we should talk about him a lot more. I know he played a different role in college but i like his projection to FS. I guess you're a lot more familiar with him so i'm all ears.

• Like 2

Just now, oakdb36 said:

Imo, we should talk about him a lot more. I know he played a different role in college but i like his projection to FS. I guess you're a lot more familiar with him so i'm all ears.

One word: versatility. 

Kid is a ball hawk. Opting out hurt him (and others) by virtue of other guys rising. I spoke in another thread about Jaelin Phillips likely not garnering 1st round attention if not for Rousseau sitting. Recency bias and whatnot. 

If Holland doesn't opt out last year, he's being talked about as S1 in the class, possibly even seen as a top 5 ranked CB prospect. 

If pressed, I'd say he's what we thought Joyner could be if he actually wanted to play SCB. 

I think we still sign someone to play FS this year (possibly Boston, given his familiarity with the system), which would allow Holland to play the SCB role opened up by Joyner's departure. Or, Heath isn't terrible. With how often teams deploy 3 CB sets, it's practically a starting position. And Holland >>> our depth CBs all day. Sprinkle him in at FS at times to get comfortable with it before a full transition to it in 2022 or 2023, or keep him as a CB and grab another S in this draft or next year in the draft or FA. 

Given that we currently need both a FS and CB, he seems like a natural fit in my honest opinion, since he can fit either role. If our starting FS sucks or goes down, move him and plug Amik or Johnson or whoever in at CB- can't be worse than last year with Joyner and Harris/Leavitt. 

Some questions might arise with whether or not he can play this or that scheme, but the same can be said about almost any player being drafted, given the talent disparity between the NFL and college football. He's very much the type of player who can learn a new system and/or position. If you only draft based on schematic fit, you're never going to field a respectable unit. 

Or, that's my honest opinion at least.

• Like 1

Thx. After watching a bit of the top S, none played exclusively single high. There's a lot of slot coverage or in box role from all of them. It's a projection to a deep centerfielder for everybody. I believe in schematic fit but it's less about what they've done than about their skillset. From the little i've seen from Holland, i think he can make that transition as well as anyone in this class.

Edited by oakdb36
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Holland is FS1 in my eyes. I'd steal him at 48 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Holland is FS1 in my eyes. I'd steal him at 48 

I didn't love the Auburn fil that is online, but I have to watch more of him. I know he played a lot of corner. The measurables are nice.

Edited by Rich7sena

But how does that work? Javvon Holland played slot corner most of the time and really that’s what he’s known for. We need a single high safety. He’s more of what Paul Gunther wanted Joyner to do.

Edited by Jeremy408

10 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I like him as a prospect.  If he is available in the 2nd I would be on board.  That would be good value for a prospect of his caliber.  

Give me Horn in the 1st and Holland in the 2nd and I would be happy.  

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

But how does that work? Javvon Holland played slot corner most of the time and really that’s what he’s known for. We need a single high safety. He’s more of what Paul Gunther wanted Joyner to do.

He can play single high. He's a versatile DB with range and elite ball skills. 

You are way to caught up on the single high safety argument. A lot of safety's are versatile and can play that role. You keep trying to look at only guys who have done it and not guys who are capable of doing it.

Talent is talent. Get a player with instincts, range and coverage skills and he'll excel in any role.