2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

He can play single high. He's a versatile DB with range and elite ball skills. 

You are way to caught up on the single high safety argument. A lot of safety's are versatile and can play that role. You keep trying to look at only guys who have done it and not guys who are capable of doing it.

Talent is talent. Get a player with instincts, range and coverage skills and he'll excel in any role.

The funny thing is we say that until it doesn’t work out and then we go Gruden Mayock can’t draft lol. A full time Single high safety is a very rare skillset. kind of like the pass rush in the Seattle cover three I would say that the single high safety role is the next most important thing if we have a chance of the defense running properly. 

i’m a big proponent of what did someone do to get recognized. for example the reason why I think Solomon Thomas has a chance to do really well is because in college he played 3T only to be brought in the NFL and be used as a DE in the NFL. Malik Hooker is another example, he’s known as a single high safety coming out of college. That was the skill set that got him picked in the first round. The Colts draft him to play split safety. Besides injuries, the Colts weren’t getting the desired effect.

My point is Jevon Holland isn’t considered a top safety because he plays single high well it’s because he’s a safety that can play the slot which is coveted in today’s NFL. That’s his skillset. If we drafted him he wouldn’t be doing that

The reason why I care so much is because it’s one of those things that has the potential to be a Lamarcus Joyner situation where he’s a good player but he’s playing out a position. Damon Arnette & Trayvon Mullen are press man/cover three corners.  no reason he should be playing cover 2. Jonathan Abrams has a box safety why are we having him as a split field safety running down the field with Tyreek Hill & TY Hilton. The list goes on... this is how that happens.

7 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Thx. After watching a bit of the top S, none played exclusively single high. There's a lot of slot coverage or in box role from all of them. It's a projection to a deep centerfielder for everybody. I believe in schematic fit but it's less about what they've done than about their skillset. From the little i've seen from Holland, i think he can make that transition as well as anyone in this class.

Richie Grant played at the most and against the highest level of competition at the senior bowl. Of the three he’s also the best open field tackler. 

• Like 1

Here is my Top 25 Big Board (usually do 75, but not enough time on my hands this year):

https://thedraftnetwork.com/bigboard/DZ6UUy2KS3

It's a pretty lackluster class IMO, although I'm a big fan of the Top 11 Prospects (4 of which are Quarterbacks...). 

I actually really like Eichenberg more than most on this forum. I actually think he's the second best Tackle in the draft behind Sewell (way behind Sewell). I see Vera-Tucker as an All-Pro Guard, but not a Tackle. I'm not nearly as big on Slater as some of the media and fans are. I wouldn't even be shocked if Slater plays Guard in the NFL. As for Darrisaw, I'm not as high on him as others are as well, but at 17 he's extremely fair value (I have him ranked right at 17). 

Also not a fan of Jaelan Philips at all even though some here like him. 

Some Non-Raider Related Notes:

- I really like all 4 Top QB's in this draft. Which is rare, as I usually dislike one or two. I think all of them are Top 10 Prospects. No idea what's with the Mac Jones hype though, he is a third round talent to me on film all day long...

- My most controversial take is probably that I don't have Waddle in my Top 25, although he'd be my #26 Prospect. Another really good WR class IMO. I don't know how there keeps being such great WR classes. Personally I have 1. Chase 2. Smith 3. Toney 4. Brown (being slept on) 5. Bateman 6. Waddle and have a 1st Round Grade on all six of those guys. 

For my Raider Big Board, check out @RaidersAreOne topic:

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 9:53 AM, NYRaider said:

Kolton Miller: 6'8.5" 309, 34" arms, 4.95s forty, 31.5" vertical, 121" broad, 7.34s 3-cone, 4.49s shuttle, 24 bench reps

Spencer Brown: 6'8.5" 311, 35" arms, 4.88s forty, 31.5" vertical, 117" broad, 6.96s 3-cone, 4.34s shuttle, 29 bench reps

Spencer Brown reminds me of Jared Veldheer 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I do like Holland better than Grant, and that might not be popular opinion. 

For me it's 1. Moehrig with a R1 Grade, then 2. Grant with a R2 Grade, and then 3. Holland with a R2 Grade as my Top 3 Safety's in this years class. I like all three though. Would welcome all with open arms. 

Edited by BayRaider

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

For me it's 1. Moehrig with a R1 Grade, then 2. Grant with a R2 Grade, and then 3. Holland with a R2 Grade as my Top 3 Safety's in this years class. I like all three though. Would welcome all with open arms. 

for me:

1)Moehrig- 2nd

2)Holland- 2nd

3) Elijah Molden- 2nd

4) Richie Grant - 3rd

5) Jamar Johnson- 3rd

I like those 5 guys on day 2

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Nobody talking about this guy, but he seems like a DB MM would like, he plays with a passion. Honeybadger comparison 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/elijah-molden/32004d4f-4c13-3930-d65b-e9f65d0cbd65

My only hangup with him is his 40 time. Wasn't awful, but with the WRs in the AFCW these days, a bit underwhelming. I like him as a S better than CB. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

My only hangup with him is his 40 time. Wasn't awful, but with the WRs in the AFCW these days, a bit underwhelming. I like him as a S better than CB. 

me2. maybe he one of the guys who didn't cheat on their 40. He plays fast and that brand of football that we draft. I think switching to FS will unlock him to another level

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

we need to draft better than last year. No excuses, we should be able to draft 5 impact players. 

I'm still in shock of the Tanner Muse in the 3rd pick. I mean it's a 3rd Rounder.... so whatever, but that dude should not have gone before the 5th. Just no way. And I still think the Arnette pick was an even bigger reach than the Ferrell pick. Arnette was a full 25-30 pick reach. Basically a round. 

I was a fan of the Ruggs pick. I had Jeudy 1a and Ruggs 1b as my choice at pick 12, and still have very high hopes for Ruggs in the NFL. 

24 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I'm still in shock of the Tanner Muse in the 3rd pick. I mean it's a 3rd Rounder.... so whatever, but that dude should not have gone before the 5th. Just no way. And I still think the Arnette pick was an even bigger reach than the Ferrell pick. Arnette was a full 25-30 pick reach. Basically a round. 

I was a fan of the Ruggs pick. I had Jeudy 1a and Ruggs 1b as my choice at pick 12, and still have very high hopes for Ruggs in the NFL. 

If we use him on intermediate routes and deep routes that are not go routes (like long crossers/deep overs etc.) he can do a lot even right now without being super polished.

• Like 1