2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I completely agree and I have been pounding the table for a potential lockdown #1 if one is there in the 1st.  Arnette should not detour the front office from selecting a shutdown #1 which most on here tend to disagree with.  

Best case scenario Mullen is an above average #2 and Arnette is an average #2.  Nether guys are shutdown #1's. 

Now I still like the guy but the fact that our starting SCB is Amik Robertson after the year he had last year is telling.  Honestly Amik might be better off on the outside and Arnette in the slot.  If you watch their highlights, if you want to know where Amik is just look for the right side CB and Arnette will most likely be in the slot.

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Assuming Arnette learns how to tackle a person instead of grass within 5 yards of the LOS. 

I've never seen someone with that admittedly good a nose for the ball on screens and such come up empty that often. It was painful to watch at times.

I think he'll get better.

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

We need a stud at many positions and acquiring a stud player at any position will help the surrounding players. 

That being said what positions have the most impact when landing a stud on D and what will really help our secondary mask their deficiencies?  The answer to the first question is Edge rusher, 3T and CB.  The answer to the second questions is pass rush.  A shutdown #1 CB like Ramsey, White, Humphrey or Lattimore would have a greater impact on this D than a FS. 

As @Rich7senapoints out there are greater odds of finding a very good safety in round 2 or 3 but finding a lockdown #1 CB beyond the 1st round is quite difficult.  Arguably he best Safety in last years class was picked at 64 overall.  Jeremy Chinn appears to be a stud. 

Finding a lockdown corner IN round 1 is really difficult. The bust rate on corners is very high.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

What’s wrong with Morrow?  He’s a decent player.   I think he’s a solid 3rd LB for a team.

Oh nothing wrong with him. But when I hear a coordinator talking about "loving" a player of Morrow's caliber, I cringe about it. Morrow is a distant 3rd behind Kwit and Littleton in terms of talent. To me, that's usually a sign that he's going to flop or the coordinator is attempting to mask a deficiency. 

Not 100% sure, but that's how I feel when guys start giving hype to players who, while decent, aren't worthy of said hype. 

10 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Finding a lockdown corner IN round 1 is really difficult. The bust rate on corners is very high.

Corners tend to be kicker level headcases too. I've seen a lot of them fall off a cliff as soon as things start turning sideways. 

On one hand, there's the talent disparity between who they cover in college and the NFL. Then there's the officiating. 

On the other hand, I think terms like "shut down corner" and "lockdown corner" can often have an adverse effect on the player and the perception of them. I think some folks expect the impossible out of many CBs and I think the CB himself can find it difficult to pull out of a rut once they get burned a bit or get too grabby. 

That said, I wouldn't spend a 1st on a CB personally. That usually comes with day 1 expectations as a starter, and I think its a position guys usually need to ease into more often. Stick a guy in the slot to acclimate, but keep a decent vet around to man the outside for the rookie year or until said vet flops. 

I'd stick to drafting them exclusively on day 2 and hoping the lower pressure pans out over grabbing a guy in round 1 and throwing him into the fire. Swagger can turn into a bruised ego with those guys in a flash. 

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Cox and Werner in round 3 I like a lot.  Surratt would be cool too but.  If not in the third I’d take one in round 5-6... there should be some decent guys to develop there.

Derrick Barnes early day 3.

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Oh nothing wrong with him. But when I hear a coordinator talking about "loving" a player of Morrow's caliber, I cringe about it. Morrow is a distant 3rd behind Kwit and Littleton in terms of talent. To me, that's usually a sign that he's going to flop or the coordinator is attempting to mask a deficiency. 

Not 100% sure, but that's how I feel when guys start giving hype to players who, while decent, aren't worthy of said hype. 

Ohhhh like Gruden hyping M. Collins as the guy “we go af far as he’ll take us.  Your right it is cringe.  I just think, from herring Morrow’s interview, that him and Bradley just hit it off personality wise and Bradley was likely asked a leading question and gave a hyperbolic answer.

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Abram was compared to Keanu Neal during the pre-draft process and the Cowboys just signed him to play WLB, lol.

Neal is a better player. Was a pro bowler in 2017 before injures derailed him some. He's got 15 pounds on Abram and will add weight to play in the money backer role. 

What's your point? Abram doesn't have near the skills Neal has displayed in terms of instincts and awareness.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I agree.  Everyone was saying Abram is Jamal Adam’s-lite last training camp and after 1 year playing out of position / a scheme that misused him horribly now he’s worthless.

Abrams has limitations but he also has enough talent to success.  It’ll come down to his ability to play controlled.  I’m not ready to right Abrams off at all.  I think he’ll have some bumps in the road but will really prove everyone on here besides me and you wrong.

What's your expectation?

He was taken 24 overall. I expect players like this to be more than role players on your team which is where he is headed if he doesn't all out bust.

I've personally never seen a player look more inept at everything on the field that Abram. Lost, clueless, slow to react, reckless. One of the worst safety in the league. 

To go from there to even average seems like a feet to me. I would have traded him for a late round draft pick personally. He's worthless and unfortunately they will keep giving him chances at the detriment of the defense. 

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'd argue Morrow is more talented than both Kwait and Littleton. Proved as much as year.

I also doubt Bradley would be hyping him up. The resigned him, so he must see something he likes. Otherwise they just let him go in FA.