2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, OldManWillis said:

I'm leaning toward Teven Jenkins at #17. I believe Darrisaw is a better prospect, but Jenkins will be the better Pro RT. With Miller locked up with the extension, Jenkins is exactly what we need on the right side. 

Yea for me it’s a lot closer than I initially thought 

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Finding a lockdown corner IN round 1 is really difficult. The bust rate on corners is very high.

My point is that if we think a lockdown #1 is on the board that player should be the pick over a safety.  Sadly I feel like our FO doesn't understand what a lockdown 1 is considering they spent the 19th overall pick last year on Arnette.  

Talk about bust rate, the last safety drafted in the 1st was in 2019 and his name was Jonathan Abram...

So I finally hopped on Gamepass again, and I immediately looked at some things from the coaches film.

• Abram wasn't nearly as bad down-to-down as some of you make it seem. He looks good as a box player but he can play high safety in a pinch. The big thing with him is you want him coming down hill from where every he is because that's what his natural disposition is. He's very reactive and the less stimuli you put in front of him (i.e., the closer to the line you put him), the better he plays. A lot of things that I liked from MSU showed up on film. He doesn't stay blocked and he's very fast sideline to sideline.
  • I also watched some Rayshawn Jenkins and it confirmed what I saw from just watching the Chargers game highlights on YouTube (they are pretty long so you get a good idea of player roles). Jenkins lives at the line of scrimmage and occasionally plays the high. I think Abram has better traits to be impactful in close. Jenkins is more of a generalist.
  • I began to watch the games Parker started to see if he actually made improvements. I made it like 4 plays into the first Charger game and he has not. The fact that the offense did not completely go off the rails with Parker and Young is nothing short of a miracle. However, that does not mean we should not invest in a tackle in the draft--there are clear limitations to having below average tackles on either (or both) sides of the line.

I'm going to watch Arnette yet to see if there's some optimism to be had. From the little I saw, I have to disagree with the assessment he's a bad tackler. I think he's a very good tackler at the position but maybe he had some bad misses that left an after taste.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

So I finally hopped on Gamepass again, and I immediately looked at some things from the coaches film.

• Abram wasn't nearly as bad down-to-down as some of you make it seem. He looks good as a box player but he can play high safety in a pinch. The big thing with him is you want him coming down hill from where every he is because that's what his natural disposition is. He's very reactive and the less stimuli you put in front of him (i.e., the closer to the line you put him), the better he plays. A lot of things that I liked from MSU showed up on film. He doesn't stay blocked and he's very fast sideline to sideline.
  • I also watched some Rayshawn Jenkins and it confirmed what I saw from just watching the Chargers game highlights on YouTube (they are pretty long so you get a good idea of player roles). Jenkins lives at the line of scrimmage and occasionally plays the high. I think Abram has better traits to be impactful in close. Jenkins is more of a generalist.
  • I began to watch the games Parker started to see if he actually made improvements. I made it like 4 plays into the first Charger game and he has not. The fact that the offense did not completely go off the rails with Parker and Young is nothing short of a miracle. However, that does not mean we should not invest in a tackle in the draft--there are clear limitations to having below average tackles on either (or both) sides of the line.

I'm going to watch Arnette yet to see if there's some optimism to be had. From the little I saw, I have to disagree with the assessment he's a bad tackler. I think he's a very good tackler at the position but maybe he had some bad misses that left an after taste.

Great stuff! Interested to hear what you have to say about Arnette. From my memory, I thought he started the season well. I’m pretty sure a number of us were all fairly satisfied by what we saw - some solid enough coverage and some strong plays against the run. It seem to remember some favourable comparisons with some of the other CB rookies of the class.

I think he then made a big mistake and then had a couple of pretty nasty looking concussions in quick succession and seemed to not recover from that. 

I might be wrong, but I felt like there was a very definite difference between the start of the season and the end. Kind of like the whole team!

Tevin Jenkins has an exaggerated and very very fast first step at the snap that makes up a ton of ground (like it is a high knee into a deep kick out sideways lunge kind of movement). I don't know if he'd be ragdolled off this compromised balance while making this step against guys in the league that fire off the snap immediately, but if not he's a bully when planted and that step seals the edge.

Edited by Trojan

I don't understand taking a RT at 17. Seems like bad value when you consider Carr gets the ball out quick. RTs are always round 2 guys imo, that's where I draft them.

FS at 17 is also bad value. 

Either way I look at it, the Raiders are setting themselves up to reach at 17 unless they trade down or take whatever top end defensive player falls to them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't understand taking a RT at 17. Seems like bad value when you consider Carr gets the ball out quick. RTs are always round 2 guys imo, that's where I draft them.

Either way I look at it, the Raiders are setting themselves up to reach at 17 unless they trade down or take whatever top end defensive player falls to them. 

run blocking matters a lot, too, and quite frankly we were not a good running team last year, even with Jacobs. we've been pretty mediocre at the goal line and have been unable to convert too many times in goal to go spots.

and getting rid of the ball quick is a good trait, but not always the best offense. buying time for receivers down the field could also give the offense a boost

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think RT in the Middle of the 1st is a good spot for RT. 16 is probably the soonest I’d consider a pick at RT for any franchise. Trenches is always a good move in the 1st Round, whether it’s LT, DT, DE at any point, or RT in the second half of the 1st Round, or OG/C in the final third of the 1st Round. 

I still think RT is pretty important for this team even with Carrs release. We don’t win that first Chief game without Trent Brown. And the difference with and without Brown was night and day. That Patriot game was brutal... Carr kept getting blindsided. Easy win if we had a solid RT in that game. Which would of been a nice 3-0 start. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

would anybody be mad if we took Teven Jenkins at 17 and then Richie Grant in the 2nd?

An OT at 17 and either Eric Stokes or Richie Grant at 48 is basically what I’m zeroed in on right now. Although I prefer Darrisaw and Eichenberg (who I do think is going in the 1st Round) over Jenkins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I'd argue that the value of RTs have continued to increase over the years. As DE get more athletic, RTs need to as well, and a RT that open running lanes and holds up in pass protection is good value.  Add in a nasty demeanor, and that's a plus for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Draft Tevin Jenkins in the first no matter what.

Like a lot of other posters have already said, we need to be able to let plays develop.  We need to be able to go deep to stay in games (like KC).  We need a RT that help the running game.  Sam Young and Brandon Parker would stifle us and what we can do.