2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Draft Tevin Jenkins in the first no matter what.

Like a lot of other posters have already said, we need to be able to let plays develop.  We need to be able to go deep to stay in games (like KC).  We need a RT that help the running game.  Sam Young and Brandon Parker would stifle us and what we can do.

I like tevin Jenkins a lot now. He may be the best right tackle you can get in this draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

would anybody be mad if we took Teven Jenkins at 17 and then Richie Grant in the 2nd?

That's probably one of the best case scenarios for us.

Jenkins at 17/Grant at 48

Moehrig at 17/Cosmi at 48

Since it's almost guaranteed that we're going OT/FS with our first two picks. If we do go Jenkins at 17 and Grant/Moehrig are both off the board before 48, then it gets a little tricky. 

I like Jenkins a lot. My problem is more emotional than logical admittedly.

It ticks me off that the defense sucks so bad and they need to allocate resources to RT. After drafting Parker in round 3 and making Brown the highest paid RT in history... they have to spend a top 20 pick at RT. It's frustrating.

Jenkins in round 1 wouldn't be the worst. I just want to see some level of competence on defense. There is not a star player on that side of the ball. They will end up passing on a pro-bowl talent on defense for a RT because they forced themselves into this hole. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It ticks me off that the defense sucks so bad and they need to allocate resources to RT. After drafting Parker in round 3 and making Brown the highest paid RT in history... they have to spend a top 20 pick at RT. It's frustrating.

The thing that makes it even more frustrating is that we took Brandon Parker over Orlando Brown Jr in the third round. Parker was a D3 project player and Brown was an All-American and the best offensive lineman in the Big 12. Parker has been an average backup at best and Brown has gone on to be one of the best OT in the league. 

We supposedly passed on Brown because of the weight concerns/poor combine numbers. But then paid Trent Brown the biggest RT contract in history the next off-season when he had similar weight concerns and almost identical combine numbers. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The thing that makes it even more frustrating is that we took Brandon Parker over Orlando Brown Jr in the third round. Parker was a D3 project player and Brown was an All-American and the best offensive lineman in the Big 12. Parker has been an average backup at best and Brown has gone on to be one of the best OT in the league. 

We supposedly passed on Brown because of the weight concerns/poor combine numbers. But then paid Trent Brown the biggest RT contract in history the next off-season when he had similar weight concerns and almost identical combine numbers. 

Cable values athletic Oline. Brown was likely off their boards entirely 

33 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Curious to why anyone would want Slater. He's purely an IOL at the next level imo. Would easily take Sewell (obviously), Eichenberg, Darrisaw, and Jenkins over Slater. 

Slater would be an athletic center for us that would allow blocks up field and pulling center plays, which aren't common but it's also uncommon to have a guard capable of it. Sewell, Jenkins are the OT. Eichenberg is round 2-3 to me and is a meh but capable starter, and Darrisaw is raw but athletic profile that implies upside only Sewell and Jenkins possess in the class. 1 Sewell 2 Jenkins 3 Darrisaw 4 Eichenberg for tackles you listed for me, but Slater as a center (with guard flexibility if Andre James is randomly amazing) is around Jenkins as a tackle for me.

Edited by Trojan

3 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Slater would be an athletic center for us that would allow blocks up field and pulling center plays, which aren't common but it's also uncommon to have a guard capable of it. 

We just paid Andre James so there's no chance we're taking a C in the 1st round. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's probably one of the best case scenarios for us.

Jenkins at 17/Grant at 48

Moehrig at 17/Cosmi at 48

Since it's almost guaranteed that we're going OT/FS with our first two picks. If we do go Jenkins at 17 and Grant/Moehrig are both off the board before 48, then it gets a little tricky. 

im much more a fan of Grant as FS than i am of Cosmi at RT

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Neal is a better player. Was a pro bowler in 2017 before injures derailed him some. He's got 15 pounds on Abram and will add weight to play in the money backer role. 

What's your point? Abram doesn't have near the skills Neal has displayed in terms of instincts and awareness.

My point was that the guy Abram was compared too coming into the NFL is switching positions to LB. And as you said he has better instincts and awareness than Abram, which further highlights how bad the pick was. We literally drafted a safety in the 1st round who's weakness is his ability to play in coverage. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Then why did we sign Trent Brown to a 4 yr/$66M deal? 

Is this a serious question? Trent Brown has amazing feet and athleticism for a man his size. He'd proven it in his play.

Before you spout off about similar combine numbers, Brown showed those didn't matter. Orlando has since as well. But at the time of the draft, he had a historically bad combine.

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Is this a serious question? Trent Brown has amazing feet and athleticism for a man his size. He'd proven it in his play.

Brown had weight and injury issues in SF, that's why they gave him up for pennies on the dollar. Brown had only had 1 very good year in his career before we gave him a contract that paid him 2x more than the 2nd highest paid RT in the NFL.