2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Firm believer in draft tendency's that coaches have especially position coaches. While they dont have final say on who gets drafted you can see the type of player they do approve of. That will lead us to Tom Cable. 

2011 - James Carpenter 34 inch arm length 

2013 -Michael Bowie cant find any numbers on arm length also was a 7th round pick

2014 - Justin Britt 33.5

2017- Justin Senior 34 inches

That is from his tenure with Seattle. Only 1 OT that was drafted under 34 inches and that was Britt which he moved to center.

2018 - Kolton Miller - 34 1/8

2018 - Brandon Parker - 35 inches

2007 - Mario Henderson - 35 inches

Who would that eliminate?

Penei Sewell

Rashawn Slater

Teven Jenkins

Jalen Mayfield

Alex Leatherwood

Samuel Cosmi

Jackson Carman

Liam Eichenberg

Who fits that mold

Dillon Radunz

Spencer Brown

Christian Darrisaw

So if the trend continues the options at OT will be very slim so either hes gonna have to break some trends or who the Raiders will pick is extremely obvious.

Had some time this morning and was thinking about the draft. 

Edited by agarcia34

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I will LOL if 49ERS draft Mac Jones. can't stand their fanbase, alot of them where I live 

I will forever mourn the fact we never got an Oakland-San Francisco Superbowl. 

The trash talk, at least on my little street down in the valley, would've been epic. It sounds so cliché, but you truly knew what side of the tracks someone came from by whether they were a Raiders fan or 49ers fangirl. 

We always had the superior cookouts 👌

19 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Firm believer in draft tendency's that coaches have especially position coaches. While they dont have final say on who gets drafted you can see the type of player they do approve of. That will lead us to Tom Cable. 

2011 - James Carpenter 34 inch arm length 

2013 -Michael Bowie cant find any numbers on arm length also was a 7th round pick

2014 - Justin Britt 33.5

2017- Justin Senior 34 inches

That is from his tenure with Seattle. Only 1 OT that was drafted under 34 inches and that was Britt which he moved to center.

2018 - Kolton Miller - 34 1/8

2018 - Brandon Parker - 35 inches

2007 - Mario Henderson - 35 inches

Who would that eliminate?

Penei Sewell

Rashawn Slater

Teven Jenkins

Jalen Mayfield

Alex Leatherwood

Samuel Cosmi

Jackson Carman

Liam Eichenberg

Who fits that mold

Dillon Radunz

Spencer Brown

So if the trend continues the options at OT will be very slim so either hes gonna have to break some trends or who the Raiders will pick is extremely obvious.

Had some time this morning and was thinking about the draft. 

arm length is just one attribute. you cant possibly determine that THAT is his trend with this level of analysis. i could just as easily say he only likes tackles who are 6'5 or taller, and in that case, a lot of the guys you scratched off are clearly in the mix

this is awfully superficial 

Edited by Turnobili

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Sidenote... glad the QB talk around the Raiders is at a dull roar this offseason. Watch one fall to Gruden at 17 lol

Carr had a pretty good year, easily the second best year of his career (still think 2016 was better because he was very aggressive). The Atlanta game irritated me heavily because he reverted back to the things he did in 2017-2019 which was very conservative/take zero chances at all what so ever football. However, can't get mad at someone for one game outta 16. He's someone you can still win a Super Bowl with if the roster is fantastic. Example, 49ers in 2019, they probably win that Super Bowl if Carr is the QB. However, I still don't think he's a QB that carries a team, but those are rare to begin with. We just have to build a great roster, especially defense, and hope for the best. 

Now, I still look at Carr on a year by year basis as well. I wouldn't give him an extension currently, he'd have to absolutely tear 2021 apart and win the AFC West while doing so. But he's a solid QB that we should be able to have a Top 5-7 Offense with and make the playoffs with, which is a great thing. 

Also revolves around draft position. Carr did his job well enough that we aren't picking in the Top 10. He controlled his own fate and put us out of range of a QB Prospect. So, props to him on that. Because I do love the Top 4 QB Prospects in this draft quite a bit. However, I wouldn't replace Carr with Mac Jones or Kyle Trask in a million years. 

• Like 2

Man I just rewatched the first half highlights from the ATL game and man, things just fall apart for us so fast. 

Our opening drive going decent, 3rd and 3 Renfrow kinda slips and ends up just short. We do a swing toss to jacobs on 4th and 1 that gets stuffed. around 50

2nd drive - Next Drive was Carrs weak fumble, It was going to be a sack IMO, but is a ball Carr needs to hold on too. around 25 yard line

3rd drive - 3rd and 9 and we throw a screen to waller that doesnt work out. 
-
Our D held them to 6 points after all that. Abram had a pick and the D was actually playing great.  
-
We then did a bomb to Ruggs where he stepped out on the 3. Couldve been a better ball, Ruggs was close to staying in, so close to being a TD. Was a great play still though. 1st and 3 at the goal line, Kolton gets a hold, then on second we get a hands to the face and all of a sudden we are kicking a FG
-
6-3 ATL - After a pretty brutal showing from our O, with 6 mins left in half
-
They drive, but Kwit makes a massive sack and they miss a FG, but we rough the kicker and its auto first down. 
They then end up getting the TD. 13-3 ATL.
-
our 2 min Drill, going pretty well we get jsut passed the 50 and Parker at RT gets Carr absolutely killed. This is a fumble for most QBs across the league. Carr has a fumbling problem, but this is going to be a fumble all day. 
-
Atl gets ball with a minute, we doing decent, then rough passer putting them in FG range - end half 16-3.
-
Then Carr throws a pick 6 to start the 3rd in a pretty packed pocket. 

--
This game was ugly, but rewatching it there were a lot more problems then just Carr having a bad game. 

Our lack of discipline and penalties was a bigger problem than Carr. Im sure Ill get called a homer for that, but, we had literally held them to missed fg, which we roughed the kicker and they turned a miss fg into 7, we have 1st and goal at the 3 and we get 2 penalties, we get 3 from what should be 7. (10 point swing right there, pretty much entirely from penalties)
Then roughing the passer with -1 min in the half to get then back into FG range. 
-
It was 16-3 at the end of the half, and we honestly gave them 10 from penalties, plus 3 from Carrs fumble. 
-
Our D actually played well, but penalties killed them. 
When our O finally did something, penalties killed them. 
-
Carr had a brutal game here, dont get me wrong. . . but for as long as I can remember the Raiders not only get a ton of penalites, but we take them at the dumbest times. Gruden needs to get this cleaned up ASAP.
All those penalties are momentum killers. 

• Like 1

@BackinBlack Yeah, the Atlanta game was the worst beating I've seen in years. Colt game was pretty bad too, but it wasn't like complete destruction, just a bad football game. 

Some games I blame Carr for his fumbles, and sometimes I don't. The Atlanta game was certainly his fault. However, the Patriot game for example, definitely on the RT (which we need to fix). With that said though, one of the downsides about Carr is his small hand size is always going to lead to many fumbles a year if his OL isn't top notch, which I think even the most hardcore supporters of his can at least admit that. Since the dawn of time, small hand size = fumbles. 

Regardless, Carr has earned his spot as 2021 starter, and had a solid season last year and even beat the Chiefs. I'm in. I even want to draft a RT in the 1st Round. I think we win that Patriot game if Trent plays, and we lose that first Chief game if Trent doesn't play. Very important position. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I think they go Lance. He's a better pure play action passer which seems to fit Shannahan's offense.

Having Jimmy G as the starter and Lance behind him is pretty similar to when they had Smith as the starter and Kapernick behind him. 

43 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I really like these two RT prospects and no one is talking about them:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/stone-forsythe/3200464f-5259-4051-69a5-9f094df3af62

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-hudson/32004855-4439-4582-be26-af32eeb2bc71

Stone Forsythe and James Hudson

I watched Forsythe last night. He's pretty good. I like him more that the other usual suspects named in the second round (Leatherwood, Christiensen, Radunz). Watch him against Georgia and he completely neutralizes Ojulari. However, Forsythe struggled against the speed and quickness of Ronnie Perkins.

If anything, watching him against Ojulari made me question how effective Ojulari can be if he can't get the tackle's outside arm off of him. Without any counters, bull rush, or other pass rush move, he just gets stuck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Carr had a pretty good year, easily the second best year of his career (still think 2016 was better because he was very aggressive). The Atlanta game irritated me heavily because he reverted back to the things he did in 2017-2019 which was very conservative/take zero chances at all what so ever football. However, can't get mad at someone for one game outta 16. He's someone you can still win a Super Bowl with if the roster is fantastic. Example, 49ers in 2019, they probably win that Super Bowl if Carr is the QB. However, I still don't think he's a QB that carries a team, but those are rare to begin with. We just have to build a great roster, especially defense, and hope for the best. 

Yep. He's been on of our better players and we've pretty much languished in the 7-9 to 9-7 purgatory. I think that speaks volumes about his (and some others") ability to play and win with decent coaching and supporting players. 

I'm glad you recognize the hyperbole that is "carrying a team". It's not just stat padding. I think there are maybe 3-5 QBs in the league that can truly carry an otherwise mediocre team:

Rodgers, Wilson, Allen, and Mahomes are definitely among them, and I'll go out on a limb and say I think Tannehill has reached that point because I don't think the Titans have a particularly good overall roster. So mad props to him. But I'm willing to concede he and Allen if someone really objects. 

Then there are a bunch of guys it's just impossible to know because of the overall talent and coaching situations on their teams being good enough to never face plant to the point of noticeably being carried for long stretches of time. 

I think the Brady effect causes a lot of conjecture about QBs as, if not for him, think about who would've likely won Superbowls (or more) during the heyday of Manning, Brees, etc. Delhomme and McNabb likely win theirs. Maybe Manning gets to another one. Wilson probably has another ring. So on, so forth. But in many cases, I don't see Brady's rings being replaced by other huge star QBs (either the Pats didn't beat one in the AFC Championship game or the Superbowl, that kind of thing). And he's eaten up so damn many rings that it feels like you have to have a bonafide HoF QB to hope to win one. 

I think Carr could easily win a ring or two on the right team. Eli Manning sure did, while Rodgers and Wilson are at....you get the picture. 

Point I'm trying to make is that those types of QBs are indeed rare and ultimately have limited success because of what it takes to prove you can "carry a team". The only way to find out is for the rest of the team to obviously need carrying, and that's not a recipe for sustained success. 

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I watched Forsythe last night. He's pretty good. I like him more that the other usual suspects named in the second round (Leatherwood, Christiensen, Radunz). Watch him against Georgia and he completely neutralizes Ojulari. However, Forsythe struggled against the speed and quickness of Ronnie Perkins.

If anything, watching him against Ojulari made me question how effective Ojulari can be if he can't get the tackle's outside arm off of him. Without any counters, bull rush, or other pass rush move, he just gets stuck.

Forsythe is definitely a sleeper that I would like on day two if we go best player available on day one. I also would like to see Andre Cisco with one of the third round picks.

Edited by Jeremy408

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

One of the posters here mentioned Jenkins having a rough time with Perkins too. If he slips to our 3rd (Perkins) I'd make that pick. Forsythe hasd been moving up quick. Saw him mentioned somewhere because of his size and another Tackle (Davis?) We he moved from in the low 200's on boards to 90's now. Jenkins probably will be the pick but Darrisaw or trade down. If waiting til 3rd I'd trade up for Brown and stay put for Forsythe. So many good Tackles, no need to reach. 

5 hours ago, G said:

One of the posters here mentioned Jenkins having a rough time with Perkins too. If he slips to our 3rd (Perkins) I'd make that pick. Forsythe hasd been moving up quick. Saw him mentioned somewhere because of his size and another Tackle (Davis?) We he moved from in the low 200's on boards to 90's now. Jenkins probably will be the pick but Darrisaw or trade down. If waiting til 3rd I'd trade up for Brown and stay put for Forsythe. So many good Tackles, no need to reach. 

I like the look of Perkins too. Think he might go a bit higher than most are pegging him.

There’s a few pass rushers that I like the look of in the mid rounds.