2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

He certainly has the skillset to cover. Had some nice coverage reps albeit a couple dropped INTs. Wasn't necessarily his role at PSU, but he projects well. JOK is far more proven in coverage at this stage.

I agree.  I think Parson has the ability to be a solid in zone coverage.  He’s definitely got the agility and speed to cover ground snd run with receivers.  I’m not saying he can’t but I don’t see good ball skills at the catch point. I do worry that he’s a guy who can stay with receivers but gives up a completion in tight coverage.

But I’d want to use Parsons more of a blitzer anyways.  I forget who mentioned it (he does deserve credit for the idea though) that Parsons should be used like Devin White.  White rushed just 104 times last year and got 9 sacks and had a pressure on 25% of those rushes.  That’s not a small sample size either.  And his rookie year he had a 16.9% pressure rate.  

I think you play Parsons at SAM and try to get him 100+ (Maybe even 150) rushes a year.  You get creative albeit keep it simple: play a 2 man (Parsons and Abram) coverage scheme with the TE. Let Abrams pick up the TE if he releases into a route and send Parsons on the blitz.  Abrams takes his cue from Parsons.  The RB almost has to stay in to Block but if he runs a quick route your confident Abram+Joseph or a LB can minimize the gain.  I think Parsons could be a 10 sack edge rusher with 100-125 rushes.

I also like the idea of Parsons and Morrow in 4-2-5 sets.  With both their speed you can use delayed blitzes and get pressure and sacks at a high efficiency.  Plus if you drop them into zone they have both the speed to cover RBs in the flats, carry a TE up the seem, and step up if a QB scrambles up the middle.

Penn State had success running a 4-2-5 and blitzing both LBs.  The two linebackers would twist and hit the opposite A/B gap... Parsons usually as the trailer.  With that speed it makes it incredibly hard to pick up Parsons and have enough time to pick him up.  

If you get creative and commit to using Parsons as a blitzer I think we could actually become a middle of the road 40 sack defense. 

The one downside though is Bradley really likes to just rush 4.  Maybe he adapts when he had a guy Like Parsons.  You have to be  willing to rush him often if you draft him.  

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I agree.  I think Parson has the ability to be a solid in zone coverage.  He’s definitely got the agility and speed to cover ground snd run with receivers.  I’m not saying he can’t but I don’t see good ball skills at the catch point. I do worry that he’s a guy who can stay with receivers but gives up a completion in tight coverage.

But I’d want to use Parsons more of a blitzer anyways.  I forget who mentioned it (he does deserve credit for the idea though) that Parsons should be used like Devin White.  White rushed just 104 times last year and got 9 sacks and had a pressure on 25% of those rushes.  That’s not a small sample size either.  And his rookie year he had a 16.9% pressure rate.  

I think you play Parsons at SAM and try to get him 100+ (Maybe even 150) rushes a year.  You get creative albeit keep it simple: play a 2 man (Parsons and Abram) coverage scheme with the TE. Let Abrams pick up the TE if he releases into a route and send Parsons on the blitz.  Abrams takes his cue from Parsons.  The RB almost has to stay in to Block but if he runs a quick route your confident Abram+Joseph or a LB can minimize the gain.  I think Parsons could be a 10 sack edge rusher with 100-125 rushes.

I also like the idea of Parsons and Morrow in 4-2-5 sets.  With both their speed you can use delayed blitzes and get pressure and sacks at a high efficiency.  Plus if you drop them into zone they have both the speed to cover RBs in the flats, carry a TE up the seem, and step up if a QB scrambles up the middle.

Penn State had success running a 4-2-5 and blitzing both LBs.  The two linebackers would twist and hit the opposite A/B gap... Parsons usually as the trailer.  With that speed it makes it incredibly hard to pick up Parsons and have enough time to pick him up.  

If you get creative and commit to using Parsons as a blitzer I think we could actually become a middle of the road 40 sack defense. 

The one downside though is Bradley really likes to just rush 4.  Maybe he adapts when he had a guy Like Parsons.  You have to be  willing to rush him often if you draft him.  

I don't think Bradley will, but JOK is a perfect fit. Dude is so well rounded. He's just a little small. But out the box day 1 he is an impact player because he is so fast and intelligent. He does overlap with Morrow, Littleton, and Kwit a little bit, but injuries happen too and he can play mainly passing downs to start his career.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't think Bradley will, but JOK is a perfect fit. Dude is so well rounded. He's just a little small. But out the box day 1 he is an impact player because he is so fast and intelligent. He does overlap with Morrow, Littleton, and Kwit a little bit, but injuries happen too and he can play mainly passing downs to start his career.

Also as much as we may like Morrow and Kwiatkowski today they can fall out of favor tomorrow.  Littleton is Probably here for the next 2 years cuz of his the restructuring of his contract.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

OT I don't see anyone talk about is Stone Forsyth.

He's a cable looking prospect. Long, athletic but needs work as a run blocker. 

Very deep OT class. Stone Forstythe, Spencer Brown, Brady Christensen, Walker Little, Jackson Carman, and James Hudson are all interesting prospects. Josh Ball and Calvin Ashley are guys I'd take a chance on later in the draft as well. 

• Like 1

Raiders just sent an email of Parsons and “Will he fall to 17?”. Gotta think it’d be pretty dumb to send that email if they were actually targeting him. Unless Mayock and Gruden have zero say in media coordination. You’d think Mayock oversees everything as GM. 

6 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

It's ability to make plays like this is why I want JOK

The question is can JOK put on weight at the next level? And can he still be good with that extra weight, especially in coverage? Or will the weight make him sluggish?

I’ve never seen a LB look more like a twig (skinny) than JOK. Seriously the skinniest linebacker I’ve ever seen. That body simply isn’t gonna work in the NFL, he needs to put on 15lbs minimum, and probably 20-25lbs. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

really hope we go defense the first two picks, then check to see what Tackles are there in the 3rd. If there is a run, maybe trade up to make sure we get a good option. Trading up in the 3rd shouldn't cost too much 

This is where I’m at. And not just because I feel we need to invest the top picks in defense. It’s also because after last year’s 3rd round picks, which were slightly risky, I’d like us to play safe with them this year. I think the safest 3rd round picks in this draft will be oline - so I’d be targeting at least one there.

Edited by reddevil

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

The question is can JOK put on weight at the next level? And can he still be good with that extra weight, especially in coverage? Or will the weight make him sluggish?

I’ve never seen a LB look more like a twig (skinny) than JOK. Seriously the skinniest linebacker I’ve ever seen. That body simply isn’t gonna work in the NFL, he needs to put on 15lbs minimum, and probably 20-25lbs. 

1086090956.jpg.0.jpg

Telvin Smith. Starting LB for Bradley. 218 at the combine.

Kyzir White in LAC.

Edited by oakdb36
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Is Telvin Smith worth pick 17 of a draft?

We also don’t know if JOK’s body will handle the weight gain the same way. 

I don't know.

I don't think Smith added much weight if any.

Anyway, i'm just saying there's a type Bradley has been working with and JOK is that type. Could also look at someone like Hamsah Nasirildeen/Jamien Sherwood for a move to LB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I don't know.

I don't think Smith added much weight if any.

Anyway, i'm just saying there's a type Bradley has been working with and JOK is that type. Could also look at someone like Hamsah Nasirildeen/Jamien Sherwood for a move to LB.

I do suppose looking at the bright side, Bradley is the only guy I’d trust with a 220lb Linebacker. 

Then again, drafting a player that fits in one DC’s scheme is a little risky. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Then again, drafting a player that fits in one DC’s scheme is a little risky. 

I think it's becoming a lot more common. Morrow, Muse and White are all college S turned LB, for example. LBs are getting smaller because their ability to cover is valued more than their ability to take on blockers in this pass heavy league.