2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Ugh. Denver possibly securing a QB in this draft really worries me. If they get Mac Jones... great, they can have him. If they get Fields/Lance, ugh! Mahomes, Herbert, Fields/Lance is NOT going to be fun. Especially with our defense. It would take a Top 3 D in the league to even compete with those guys. 

tenor.gif

Brett Kollmann seems to agree with me that Parsons isn't this incredible LB prospect people think he is. Said in a video with another YouTuber, he struggles to see where he gets actually drafted even at the end of the 1st round. He's a top athlete but doesn't play to it and to get the most out of him need a very specific scheme.

Tape don't lie did a good break down on him.  The guy doesn't deal with gaurds blocking him any better then JOK.  He'll want to dodge them instead of engaging with them, while JOK will actually try to stack and shed. 

Edited by OnlyGlove

13 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

Brett Kollmann seems to agree with me that Parsons isn't this incredible LB prospect people think he is. Said in a video with another YouTuber, he struggles to see where he gets actually drafted even at the end of the 1st round. He's a top athlete but doesn't play to it and to get the most out of him need a very specific scheme.

Tape don't lie did a good break down on him.  The guy doesn't deal with gaurds blocking him any better then JOK.  He'll want to dodge them instead of engaging with them, while JOK will actually try to stack and shed. 

Parsons is relatively inexperienced at the LB spot though but has all the tools to be an elite LB in the NFL. 

18 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

JOK doesn't play the same role as Parsons, though. If JOK is engaging an offensive lineman, it's usually because he's playing on the edge or blitzing, which isn't the same as reading the play and negotiating tackles and guards moving up to the second level. The latter is much harder to do. I don't think JOK can cut it as a stack linebacker in the NFL.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Parsons is relatively inexperienced at the LB spot though but has all the tools to be an elite LB in the NFL. 

He's a good athlete. But he's not fluid in space so I can't see him ever been great in coverage what's the main skill I want from a modern LB.

He's a poor scheme fit, SAM LB in a league that uses mainly plays in Nickle and we have a DC that rarely blitzes. Who as you say needs to work on most of the things to play LB

I think people like him because they like the idea of him, more then the actual film and fit. 

Just now, OnlyGlove said:

He's a good athlete. But he's not fluid in space so I can't see him ever been great in coverage what's the main skill I want from a modern LB.

He's a poor scheme fit, SAM LB in a league that uses mainly plays in Nickle and we have a DC that rarely blitzes. Who as you say needs to work on most of the things to play LB

I think people like him because they like the idea of him, more then the actual film and fit. 

I generally agree with your assessment, but I do think Parsons can develop into a MLB. I am not as high on him as others because I generally dislike drafting linebackers in the first round, and he's not a safe or clean prospect, either.

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

JOK doesn't play the same role as Parsons, though. If JOK is engaging an offensive lineman, it's usually because he's playing on the edge or blitzing, which isn't the same as reading the play and negotiating tackles and guards moving up to the second level. The latter is much harder to do. I don't think JOK can cut it as a stack linebacker in the NFL.

I don't want JOk to be that in the NFL. I'm playing him Nickle early downs then 3rd and long he's now at LB when you don't need to worry about the run.

Parsons doesn't ever want to get hands on a gaurd and use his power and size in the run game, he tries to dodge them. Ends up being boom or bust, going to be at of bust against better RBs that see him coming

1 minute ago, OnlyGlove said:

I don't want JOk to be that in the NFL. I'm playing him Nickle early downs then 3rd and long he's now at LB when you don't need to worry about the run.

Parsons doesn't ever want to get hands on a gaurd and use his power and size in the run game, he tries to dodge them. Ends up being boom or bust, going to be at of bust against better RBs that see him coming

I do not think JOK can hang at nickel corner if that's what you're implying. I know he played it a bunch at Notre Dame, but he would get exposed in the NFL. I think he can play the Derwin James role pretty well--basically a SLB who is outside of the box and plays primarily the curl-flat area.

I do not think JOK can hang at nickel corner if that's what you're implying. I know he played it a bunch at Notre Dame, but he would get exposed in the NFL. I think he can play the Derwin James role pretty well--basically a SLB who is outside of the box and plays primarily the curl-flat area.

That's probably where they plan to use Abram though.

I generally agree with your assessment, but I do think Parsons can develop into a MLB. I am not as high on him as others because I generally dislike drafting linebackers in the first round, and he's not a safe or clean prospect, either.

You're right he could potentially become a MLB. But so could many other Sams and wills in the draft.

I think the reason why I'm so against the idea is because deep down he's probably a early day 2 late 1st round prospect getting talked about like he's Mack. 

I hate the idea of an LB in the 1st outside of JOk just because he's going to be able to be nickleback and the man coverage ability is insane. 

Heard people comp him to Derwin James and I can completely see that. 

7 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

He's an elite athlete for the position with sideline to sideline range. He's also a guy that has the size, bend, and athleticism to play off the edge in passing situations. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He's an elite athlete for the position with sideline to sideline range. He's also a guy that has the size, bend, and athleticism to play off the edge in passing situations. 

Yes, Parsons is probably the best athlete (that’s not a project) pound for pound in the draft. JOK doesn’t touch him as an athlete. Micah’s range, size, speed, foot quickness, and raw power are all otherworldly. He’s the complete package. 

JOK will never be able to do a lot of things Parsons does due to the size difference and athletic difference. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind JOK either but just kind of question where he fits in the defense. I'm assuming we'll use Morrow, Abram, and Littleton in a similar role to what JOK would play. And when you look back at smaller LB's taken early in the draft, most don't pan out. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't mind JOK either but just kind of question where he fits in the defense. I'm assuming we'll use Morrow, Abram, and Littleton in a similar role to what JOK would play. And when you look back at smaller LB's taken early in the draft, most don't pan out. 

Yep, history is always important. Sub 220lb Linebackers in the first almost never pan out. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If he's that good off the edge, why would you ever waste him at LB?

Would you actually want to play him over Ngakoue and Crosby on passing situations on the edge?

He's not the next Mack it doesn't matter how much we want him to be the next Mack. 

He does have the atheltisum to do it all but not the fluidity to play constant coverage, and terrible processing and awareness.