2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Update list for needs: EDGE, UT, FS 

we could use another NT. When teams are trying to run on us, we should have two ready NT, plus nice to have depth behind 330 lbs Hankins. Keep the DL fresh. also could use improve depth at LB/ challenge Littleton. 

1- UT

2- FS

3- LB or NT

4- Above 

Brandon Parker starting to emerge believe it or not lol. Back to back good games

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Been against drafting a FS cause I feel like we need a vet back there to add some experience to a young secondary, but the more I watch Trevon Moehrig the more I like him. Exactly what this team needs a true center fielder who can protect the back end. 

He’s a player man! Big fan of TM. I also really like Richie James and Reed Blankenship a little later too. We need to come away from this draft with some young talent at FS 

He's a baller man. Has great size as well so match ups on a TE wont be an issue on coverage. His instincts stick out when watching him and his ball skills are top notch. Not getting the overall national media hype, but he is the best safety in this deep and talented class. I feel like him and Abram would mesh really well together. 

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

He's a baller man. Has great size as well so match ups on a TE wont be an issue on coverage. His instincts stick out when watching him and his ball skills are top notch. Not getting the overall national media hype, but he is the best safety in this deep and talented class. I feel like him and Abram would mesh really well together. 

They would be a great combo. Whatever safety we bring in to pair with JA has to be solid in single high and TM can be that for sure. Not a top heavy/elite safety class by any means but some very solid value picks 40-150

On 11/23/2020 at 3:21 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't think we replace hankins with another nose. If anything we run 2 penetrating type DT's after drafting one.

I want a twitchy edge rusher I agree. Someone with more speed who can catch mahomes/more mobile qb's. Kwity Paye comes to mind.

100%. In the division, Mahomes and Herbert are mobile enough. Not sure about Locke. 

In the AFC, Mayfield, Tua, Jackson, Newton*, Allen, Tannehill, Watson. 

We're going to be contending with at least those QBs for the foreseeable future in the regular season and playoffs. I can't think of an AFC QB aside from Rivers and Ben (both of whom likely won't be around much longer),  there's not really any of the old pocket statues to tee off on anymore.

I love Paye but I'm afraid he's almost played himself into a top 20 selection and I hope we're picking later than that. 

What is everyones thought on Jaelan Phillips? The guy has all of the tools you could ask for. I don't think I'd have the balls to pick him in the first round unless we traded back into the late 20's or back up into the early 2nd round but he is everything you want in an edge rusher for sure.

One guy I've really taken a liking to is Zaven Collins and I think he'd be an outstanding fit as our SAM LB allowing our LB trio to look like Collins-Kwit-Littleton. He's a big dude that moves insanely well, still raw as a pass rusher but he has the ability to play coverage well enough to warren being on the field at all times. I'd love a versatile piece that we can have moving around our defense thats a threat off the edge but also holds his own in zone coverage and Collins can be that imo. 

Slowly starting to develop some draft crushes this year...

Phillips, Moerhig, ASB, Zaven Collins, Basham, etc

We don't have big enough need at WR too spend a day 1-2 pick on it but I'd love to get ASB in silver and black. As a USC fan this guy has been a joy to watch the last three years. Incredibly versatile and can play in spot out the outside, tough after the catch, a beast at the point of attack, and one of the better run blocker WR's i've seen in a long ti

On 11/23/2020 at 4:21 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't think we replace hankins with another nose. If anything we run 2 penetrating type DT's after drafting one.

I want a twitchy edge rusher I agree. Someone with more speed who can catch mahomes/more mobile qb's. Kwity Paye comes to mind.

I think we resign Hankins.... he’s such a force versus the run.  The nascar package with Key and Cle inside seemed to work really well last week..... and I want to see more of that.  It does require at least one DE with good speed (ala Vic Beasley). 

I think one of the reasons we don’t get many sacks is we until Now (and barely now) have any DEs that can challenge a OT around the bend.... dragging them outward.  They could just camp out inside before.  That makes defending against twists and stunts much easier.  But with a speed rusher or two those inside lanes get much much bigger.

I’ve said for the longest time we need a speed rusher.... even if it’s just a DPR type of player.  You have to be able to challenge OTs to the edge..... and that’s not Cle’s game.... and not really Crosby’s either.  They’re really good at crashing down inside and outside to inside moves.

We still obviously lack a good 3Tech and must address that this offseason, but we could and should supplement that with using the nascar package move and add a talented speed rushing DE to the mix as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think we resign Hankins.... he’s such a force versus the run.  The nascar package with Key and Cle inside seemed to work really well last week..... and I want to see more of that.  It does require at least one DE with good speed (ala Vic Beasley). 

I think one of the reasons we don’t get many sacks is we until Now (and barely now) have any DEs that can challenge a OT around the bend.... dragging them outward.  They could just camp out inside before.  That makes defending against twists and stunts much easier.  But with a speed rusher or two those inside lanes get much much bigger.

I’ve said for the longest time we need a speed rusher.... even if it’s just a DPR type of player.  You have to be able to challenge OTs to the edge..... and that’s not Cle’s game.... and not really Crosby’s either.  They’re really good at crashing down inside and outside to inside moves.

We still obviously lack a good 3Tech and must address that this offseason, but we could and should supplement that with using the nascar package move and add a talented speed rushing DE to the mix as well.

Absolutely we need another speed rusher. Key has flashed at times but still inconsistent. I think Beasley could be the missing piece (or not). Still way too early to tell with him. 

No matter what in the offseason, I want a playmaking DT and FS. Those two positions can make any defense better in a hurry.

I think we almost have to draft a DL. Idk about drafting another DB in the 1st. It’s like a every year thing, Hard for DBs to shine when you don’t win at the LOS. I’m for the best talent at edge rusher or UT. Build in the trenches, hope the former DB Mayock doesn’t go that route again. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

If he declares I want Zach Wilson of BYU. I view it as a Mahomes-esque turning point for our franchise right now. Derek Carr is in a similar point in his career that Alex Smith was when KC made a package and traded up for Mahomes. We are a fringe playoff team with an ultra-efficient quarterback and might be in position to draft a QB of the Future who is 21 and give him 2-3 years to learn Gruden's playbook. Took Carr a couple years to nail it down, and a young rookie like Wilson given some an intro with lower stress is ideal imo. The nightmare situation is Carr becomes 35 starts to decline or retires and then we have a Peterman into Kizer into random rookies trying to tread water (Garcia into Griese into Josh Johnson into Josh Freeman for Buccs). We need to avoid that and invest. I think this might be the year because Lawrence, Fields and Trey Lance all seem to have pretty big fans (as does Wilson) which might make less of an ultimatum deal to move up. I do not want Derek Carr benched, traded, released or whatever but a 5 year contract for the future is extremely appealing. If Wilson shows some insane talent and is ready to start in a few years, I think Derek Carr might be willing to end his career and go into ministry or coaching - and I think these options have tremendous pull for him and I could see a Napoleon Kaufman role as well as a team chaplain while preaching at his own church as well. I don't think money is near the importance for Carr as platform to teach, and I think a transition would be possible (QB coach into OC for Gruden could be possible if the bond and offensive knowledge clicks and their relationship calls for such a move). Not at all calling Wilson Mahomes, but the situation for the Raiders would be similar to the Chiefs situation when they took Mahomes.

Raiders needs to replace Hankins. There are some good big boys in this draft. Hankins has been as good as the Raiders could have hoped for, but they can do a whole lot better with some with more size and better against the run. 

Raiders could replace all the DT's on the team in the off season and I wouldn't be mad at the decision. Hankins- reached his max potential  Hurst- Always about potential Collins- self explanatory Vickers- Meh not sure he would be on many NFL rosters.  They wont replace all of them, but the DT spot needs a huge make over 

On 12/11/2020 at 1:51 AM, Humble_Beast said:

I think we almost have to draft a DL. Idk about drafting another DB in the 1st. It’s like a every year thing, Hard for DBs to shine when you don’t win at the LOS. I’m for the best talent at edge rusher or UT. Build in the trenches, hope the former DB Mayock doesn’t go that route again. 

I think the automatic reaction is to look at the DL as the place to draft based on what we've seen from the defense so far (and I don't necessarily disagree), but what about someone like Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah? Turned into a star LB on a very good ND defense, was a huge reason the Irish held Travis Etienne to pedestrian numbers, and provides some pop to the pass-rushing game as well.

11 hours ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

I think the automatic reaction is to look at the DL as the place to draft based on what we've seen from the defense so far (and I don't necessarily disagree), but what about someone like Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah? Turned into a star LB on a very good ND defense, was a huge reason the Irish held Travis Etienne to pedestrian numbers, and provides some pop to the pass-rushing game as well.

I like the way you think. End of the day it will be "best player at a position of need" which is how the Raiders have proven to draft.

Ferrell, Arnette are good examples. Arguably better overall players on the board, but they go for need