2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

I like the 2nd Round DT class quite a bit. So many quality guys there. No 2nd Round Player is ever a sure thing (or any player for that matter) but lots of quality there. 

For the 1st Round, depends who we hire as Defensive Coordinator. If we hire Wade Philips (please, he’s great his early years on every team) then a 3-4 EDGE Project like Ossai would be a good 1st Round Pick. 

It’s also a real possibility we could go Corner for the simple fact it may be by far BPA left on the board if you do your own mocks. One of Surtain, Horn, or Farley usually falls to 16, and they are all Top 12 graded players on most sites. Very good 1st Round Corner Class. Kick Arnette inside with his shorter arm length, and you have a dominant CB Trio to match up with Mahomes and Herbert. Do I specifically want a CB in Round 1? No. But let’s say you have the 12th Ranked player fall to you, and all DL at that point don’t even Rank Top 25. I’d rather not reach. 

Still far away from the draft, hopefully we know who our DC is soon, and I hope it’s not Rod even though I like him. 

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I like the 2nd Round DT class quite a bit. So many quality guys there. No 2nd Round Player is ever a sure thing (or any player for that matter) but lots of quality there. 

For the 1st Round, depends who we hire as Defensive Coordinator. If we hire Wade Philips (please, he’s great his early years on every team) then a 3-4 EDGE Project like Ossai would be a good 1st Round Pick. 

It’s also a real possibility we could go Corner for the simple fact it may be by far BPA left on the board if you do your own mocks. One of Surtain, Horn, or Farley usually falls to 16, and they are all Top 12 graded players on most sites. Very good 1st Round Corner Class. Kick Arnette inside with his shorter arm length, and you have a dominant CB Trio to match up with Mahomes and Herbert. Do I specifically want a CB in Round 1? No. But let’s say you have the 12th Ranked player fall to you, and all DL at that point don’t even Rank Top 25. I’d rather not reach. 

Still far away from the draft, hopefully we know who our DC is soon, and I hope it’s not Rod even though I like him. 

We just need some kind of identity on defense. If we can cover with 3 good corners (theoretically), that would mean we can also send more pressure.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Now we're talking! Best cover safety I've seen in the class and best at USC arguably since Troy. He's got range and ball skills to be a playmaker. 

The safety and DT class are pretty deep. I would be happy if we take a "slot"/versatile DB type of safety AND a free safety.

22 hours ago, BayRaider said:

A lot of people seem to want a 2nd round DT due to the talent in this class not having a top 15/20 DT.... at the moment. 

my question is.... if we go DT in round 2 would we also have to sign a veteran DT to act as a stop gap starter?  we relied on Maliek Collins and when he failed we paid dearly.  Expecting a 2nd round player to start is never a great idea plus we don’t just need a starter, we need seriously improved play.  Anyone we draft (IMO) must have height and range. I said this all TC: we need a DT with length and range!

also, do we resign Hankins to start at NT?

Personally, I’d like to resign Hankins plus draft his backup/successor.  I said in TC we need a 2nd NT/run stuffing DT and was absolutely Right!  That said I’d like to double up on DT and sign/draft a 3T and then draft a NT in the 4-6th.  I really wish we got to see David Irving play, and hope we resigning him if he’s proven to have his act together and his play was good in practice. He’s the perfect type of player to fight for a 9th DL spot on the team in camp.he’s got the length and range we need.

with the large number of underclass man already declaring and more expecting to declare plus the increased likeliness of prospects being Boom/bust due to the COVID season limiting players playing (and thus scouting) ..... I’m a massive believer in trying to trade down.  I don’t see a elite edge prospect falling to us at 14-17 (I have my doubt about Kwity Paye as a rusher.... he’s too much like Ferrell in that he lacks bend, burst, and ability to run the arc) and thus we should try to trade down.  Hopefully we could a few more pics in rounds 2-5.  The more picks the more chances to hit.  This is the absolute year to spread out risk and increase chances to hit.

ideally though i really really really want to sign Leonard Williams.... and would over pay to get him.  That’s if and a big if he hits the market.  But if he doesn’t Dalvin Tomlinson would be a good 2nd option.  Idk if they can resign both.

Edited by jimkelly02

Unless the Franchise decides there’s a QB they like, I go all defense this draft like Carolina did last year. 

1st - Defensive BPA, could be an EDGE or Corner. Or that Norte Dame Linebacker. Not a big fan of Will Linebackers in the 1st though, which is where he projects best in a 4-3 Scheme. I prefer only Franchise MLB’s in the 1st like Devin White, Micah Parsons, etc. I’d take Parsons if we had the 4th pick no question. 

2nd - DT

3rd - FS

4th - LB

5th - EDGE or Corner Depth

This depends if we have Booker and Agholor next year as well though. 

• Like 1

I think we need to come out of the draft with a FS/DT in rounds 1-2 plus pickup a lengthy, athletic SAM. I’d like to also add a RT and cut Trent Brown. I understand the continuity argument but TB didn’t give any effort this whole season, he mailed it in dating back to his late ‘19 season injury.  Plus if you could spend a 2nd and get a good starting RT who only costs >2M annually that’s quite a savings from Browns 15M.  I’d also try to draft another G to become eventual starters with Simpson.  There should be value in rounds 3-5.  The 4th always seems to be the sweet spot for finding a good year 2 starting G.  

Booker exceeded all expectations and should be able to be resigned rather cheaply but If there’s value that complimented Jacobs and Richard in the mid rounds I’d draft a RB.  I’m a big believer in drafting a RB in the mid rounds every few years.  The low draft capital required and low cap cost of such a pick is a great value proposition.  

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

A lot of people seem to want a 2nd round DT due to the talent in this class not having a top 15/20 DT.... at the moment. 

my question is.... if we go DT in round 2 would we also have to sign a veteran DT to act as a stop gap starter? 

IMO, Mo Hurst, if given more than 50% of snaps and the right DC can play. Hurst was a first round talent who has flashed some ability, but keeps being taken off the field as they try to force their big FA signing and coach favorite Collins. I don't think Hurst got a fair shake with this staff. 

I want to see what some of these guys have with a clean slate and better coaches. I still have faith in Hurst and Key talent coming out under the right coaching staff.

12 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Saw a mock with us selecting Daviyon Nixon DT Iowa. Haven’t seen a single Iowa game this year. So did some research and I came away very intrigued. He is very athletic for a man that’s 300 pounds. Might end up being that DT to keep an eye on. 

I know nothing about anyone else but this guy is good.

• Like 1

I dont think the coaching staff likes Mo Hurst like that. That could change with all the changes that we will see on that side of the ball. Just never seen him get the opportunity and we're already into his 3rd season going into his 4th. Kind of clear what the they view him as and that is a back up player.

I

On 12/29/2020 at 8:12 PM, BayRaider said:

Do you have Jalen Tyman as 1st 2nd 3rd or 4th. The fact he opted out to train this entire season and mentioned it wasn't just because of COVID has me really ??? on his range. I would think 2nd would be appropriate and 3rd good value, but maybe I'm discounting too much for taking the year off.