2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

If we’re looking to draft a DT early I’d consider signing someone like Davon Godchaux to start and slowly bring the draft pick into the fold. I don’t love this DT FA class (for us) outside of Leonard Williams.  I really like Dalvin Tomlinson but he’s more of a replacement for Hankins then a 3T alongside him.  Godchaux had a very good year in ‘19 but went on IR after week 5 this year.  Maybe he ends up being a nice value in FA as a result?  We’ll see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’d personally trade back and get Barmore in late first or top of second.  I was very disappointed with Wilson this year in his limited action.  I Do like Shelvin a lot as a run defender but he offers nothing as a rusher, he’d be nice value in round 3.  I’d like to retain Hankins and draft a backup NT (Tonga-BYU or Bobby Brown 3- Miss St or Dion Novill-N Texas or etc) In rounds 5-6.

I’ve got to really do some in-depth evals of the DTs..... but honestly so far I don’t love anyone.  As I said last year and continue to ..... we need to value Length and range.  No more short DTs!  

ideally we throw 17-18M at Leonard Williams and he bites..... he was a Raider fan growing up after all and might want to return to West Coast.  I fear we won’t get a year 1 impact From any 3T we draft.... the top ones are all very raw.  

but as I’ve said in other posts I think we need to double Up at DT (1x 3T, 1x NT) whether that is the draft or FA.

If not LWilliams I like Dalvin Tomlinson but not a high end pass rusher.  Larry Ogunjobi Was on my watch list but didn’t play as well / produce like in years past.  I only see him as a stop gap.

honestly I really don’t like the chances of finding an answer at DT for ‘21 (there are a few prospects I like long term) outside of LWilliams so if he hits the market I’d overpay.

I agree on doubling up on the DT's, that has been a glaring weakness on this team as long as I can remember.  Everyone loves a sexy O but what I love is a nasty D and we haven't had on for as long as I can remember. 

It all starts up front as and our interior Dline is straight garbage.  We have players starting on our interior that should be depth pieces.  If we can be stout against the run and get interior pressure this D will take a step forward.  It's the trickle down effect, in other words if you get that interior pressure and harass the QB that will allow our LB's and DB's to play at a much higher level.  I am convinced that the biggest bang for our buck is a difference making 3T.  I would love to land Williams and then draft one of the top interior D lineman in this draft.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Would you trade Carr for a nasty defense?

I know you’re asking Frankie, but he’ll dodge. 

Would I trade Carr for a Multi-Year Guaranteed Top 5 Defense? Absolutely. Raider fans will always be bias when it comes to Carr, and in reality he’s a 13-17 Middle of the Pack Serviceable QB. A Multi-Year Top 5 Defense would easily trump Carr’s worth and value, and I hardly see how it is even debatable. 

I wish Terrell didn’t get selected at 16. Personally I think the only reason Falcons reached on him at 16 because everyone and their mama in the media claimed Mayock loved Terrell, and he was universally mocked to us the final two weeks or so. 

Terrell was absolutely garbage the first 5-6 games, but in the second half of the season he was phenomenal. Probably the best Rookie Corner in the NFL this year, and one of the better corners in the NFL in general if you include only the second half. 

Easily outplayed any corner on our team in the second half of the season by a landslide. For the season as a whole, I’d say he outplayed Mullen by a hair, outplayed Arnette by a lot. 

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I wish Terrell didn’t get selected at 16. Personally I think the only reason Falcons reached on him at 16 because everyone and their mama in the media claimed Mayock loved Terrell, and he was universally mocked to us the final two weeks or so. 

Terrell was absolutely garbage the first 5-6 games, but in the second half of the season he was phenomenal. Probably the best Rookie Corner in the NFL this year, and one of the better corners in the NFL in general if you include only the second half. 

Easily outplayed any corner on our team in the second half of the season by a landslide. For the season as a whole, I’d say he outplayed Mullen by a hair, outplayed Arnette by a lot. 

He was who I wanted at CB in the draft. Unfortunately the cards fall how they fall.

8 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Would you trade Carr for a nasty defense?

I'm a huge Carr fan, but if we're talking an entire defense worth of very high play, I'd do so in a heartbeat. 

1 player, short of an all-time great (prime Rodgers, prime Brady, prime Manning), is going to be the lone catalyst for a successful team.

Carr, imo, is a fine QB. That said, I don't ascribe to the notion that an All-Star QB is needed to be successful. Outside of Peyton Manning's ridiculous season, even the great QBs won Superbowls during statistically "down" years. The jaw dropping Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, and Mahomes seasons did not culminate in the Superbowl. 

I support Carr because I think he's more than good enough to get us to a Superbowl on the right team overall. But he's not irreplaceable. I think a lesser QB and a top tier D could get us a Superbowl, so yes, I'd trade him for that.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I know you’re asking Frankie, but he’ll dodge. 

Would I trade Carr for a Multi-Year Guaranteed Top 5 Defense? Absolutely. Raider fans will always be bias when it comes to Carr, and in reality he’s a 13-17 Middle of the Pack Serviceable QB. A Multi-Year Top 5 Defense would easily trump Carr’s worth and value, and I hardly see how it is even debatable. 

If you were building a franchise what QB's would you build around ahead of Carr?

I would love to see you not dodge this question :)