2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

26 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

If you were building a franchise what QB's would you build around ahead of Carr?

I would love to see you not dodge this question :)

Carr is not the young QB you make him out to be anymore, that you would pick to build around. He’ll be 30 long before next season starts, and he’s had one Top 10 QB season his entire seven year career which was 2016. He looked good this year besides his usual, very consistent December collapse. Probably the 12th best QB season overall in 2020 behind Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Watson, Tannehil, Brady (this must hurt your soul, gonna finish Top 5 MVP and Top 10 Offensive Player of the Year, and arm looks terrific), Wilson, Murray (this must hurt OGX soul), Mayfield, Herbert, and Cousins (yes Cousins had a better season, and very underrated season). All had better seasons than Carr. Is this a digg on Carr? No, I’m quite impressed with his Top 12 season and he surpassed expectations this year. However, he is still a 14-16 Middle of the Pack Serviceable QB that has had one Top 10 QB season. He is not a Franchise QB by any stretch of the imagination. 

An Elite Top 5 Defense is much more valuable and important than Derek Carr. 

21 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree on doubling up on the DT's, that has been a glaring weakness on this team as long as I can remember.  Everyone loves a sexy O but what I love is a nasty D and we haven't had on for as long as I can remember. 

It all starts up front as and our interior Dline is straight garbage.  We have players starting on our interior that should be depth pieces.  If we can be stout against the run and get interior pressure this D will take a step forward.  It's the trickle down effect, in other words if you get that interior pressure and harass the QB that will allow our LB's and DB's to play at a much higher level.  I am convinced that the biggest bang for our buck is a difference making 3T.  I would love to land Williams and then draft one of the top interior D lineman in this draft.

Yeah... the best bang for the buck would be at 3T.  If we get a good 3T then you’ll see the rest of the DLmen play much better. 
I’d say our DEs Ferrell+Nassib+Key and to a Lesser extent Crosby NEED a solid IDL pass rush because they aren’t strong outside move/speed rushers.  OTs really aren’t Scared of their ability to win outside so they likely cheat and over protect the inside or bullrush/head on rush.  If we can get interior pressure that widens rush lanes and OTs can’t cheat inside so much.  You’ll See the DEs get way more pressures and sacks.  We rarely had sacks from the second rusher to get pressure. How often did a QB step away or up from one rusher and get hit another rusher? Very very rarely.  We don’t have rushers who can get quick sacks, but we have guys who could be really good at getting “clean up” sacks.

Add a good 3T and speed rusher.... this DL makes a massive leap!

I’ve said it many times and will continue to.... we need a DT with LENGTH lateral range.  I don’t want a Maleik Collins 6’2 300 type 3T.... I want a 6’4+ 310+ 3T with long arms.  Long arms allows DTs to reach out and grab a QB or extend their arms and impair vision plus throwing lanes or tackle a RB as he comes thru the hole. 

I would say I don’t think we can afford to pay Williams the 18-20M he’ll command AND also draft a DT in rounds 1/2.  Nor do I think we should use that much resources.  I think we resign Hankins for 5/6M annually.... which is a good value for us. I think the highest we could and should  draft a DT if we signed Big Cat would be rounds 3, and only if a real good value was there such as LSU’s Shelvin, but more likely rounds 4-5.  You can find really good run defenders in rounds 3-5.... they usually just lack pass rushing.  That’s okay for us IMO because we have Hurst to replace them On 3rd down plus Ferrell and Key can rush from DT.

6 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Shaun Wade is not a outside CB. Hope he makes the move to safety

I think he’s a slot CB but could end up making the biggest impact as a Hybrid sCB/3rd Safety.  He’ll need a DC who can get creative with him.  I wouldn’t say Wade and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson are necessarily similar players in the classic “draft comp” sense.... but Wade would probably thrive if used similarly to CDJ in NO.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Know we don't need a QB, but damn I wouldn't hesitate to take none of the top 3 prospects in Lawrence, Fields and Wilson.

Exciting prospects

Lance too if you sit him for two years. Skillset is legit crazy. After Josh Allen panned out, can’t really say project QBs don’t work. Allen was the biggest 1st Round Project I have seen since following the sport. Need good coaching (although not sure we have that....)

I really like all 4 of the Top QBs. Which is rare, I usually dislike at least one or two. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think he’s a slot CB but could end up making the biggest impact as a Hybrid sCB/3rd Safety.  He’ll need a DC who can get creative with him.  I wouldn’t say Wade and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson are necessarily similar players in the classic “draft comp” sense.... but Wade would probably thrive if used similarly to CDJ in NO.

100% spot on. 

Dude lost so much money by not coming out last year. Hard to see him going round one even round 2 looking iffy with the talent we could see at CB in this draft. 

Edited by agarcia34

9 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Something about Lawrence. Great player but media has made it out to think he’s a perfect prospect or near Andrew Luck level when he came out. Again great player. 

He's looked terrible against his only tough competition. 

Clemson as a team has been fantastic since before Lawrence got there. They'll probably remain contenders when he's gone. 

Once he's on a level playing field, he's not going to be what people have so readily proclaimed. It's easy to look great when you're playing talent well beneath your team's. 

He has 3 fumbles and should've thrown at least 2 picks so far. He hasn't truly been tested outside of a couple of games at best.

14 hours ago, BayRaider said:

12- AJ Terrell

19 - Justin Jefferson

Best Rookie Corner and Best Rookie WR by quite large margins. 

Anyone have a time machine?

Terrell would have been in a bad scheme likely struggling along with the secondary and Jefferson would have 40 targets on the season.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

How is Terrell the best rookie CB? Or is it because no rookie CB has been good?

He started out with rookie struggles, but over the 2nd half of the season, he's looked stellar. 

Other CBs have looked pretty good as well, like Jaylon Johnson, who I really liked. 

Not sure I would take Terrell over Johnson in hindsight just yet, but he's definitely made himself worthy of his rookie CB1 billing.

11 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

He's looked terrible against his only tough competition. 

Yeah that's my only gripe against Lawrence. He played pretty poorly in both CFB playoff games last year, was outplayed significantly by Fields last night and was also outplayed significantly by Burrow in the national championship game last season.