2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

19 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Lance is a complete project. 

Lance is a project but I think he's a lock to go in the 1st round. I'm not a huge fan of him but he has tools and a QB needy team will definitely take a gamble on him, imo. Trask/Jones look like mid-round future backups to me though.

14 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

S and LB are still needs. 

We do need a S and LB among other things but those two positions are not huge impact positions.  They will definitely improve our defense but a shutdown corner, or high end 3T and DE have a much larger impact on the improvement of a defensive unit overall.  It was more of a generalization rather than our specific needs.  We can use high end players on all 3 levels of the defense.

39 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You can make a case that CB is still a need as well with Joyner likely on his way out. Arnette thrived in the slot at OSU, I'd like to see us get a legit starting outside CB and move him inside. 

I like Arnette in the slot and would have liked to move Joyner to FS.  Could have got an idea of what they were capable of in the last 2 games.

20 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We do need a S and LB among other things but those two positions are not huge impact positions.  They will definitely improve our defense but a shutdown corner, or high end 3T and DE have a much larger impact on the improvement of a defensive unit overall.  It was more of a generalization rather than our specific needs.  We can use high end players on all 3 levels of the defense.

I think a high level safety would make a huge impact for our defense because it'd help clean up mistakes made by our other players in coverage. DT/DE is definitely our biggest need because we have to be able to generate more pressure. LB is a need as well but ideally you have to hope Kwit and Littleton both live up to their contracts and an improved DL/better DC should help. And CB is a need as well but again you kinda have to have some faith that Arnette/Mullen will improve and that Amik Robertson can provide something for us in year 2. 

17 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Yes they do but are typically studs at undervalued positions like S, NT, and LBs.  If you want a stud at 3T, CB, or DE they normally go top ten.  It does not mean we will not find an impact player at a position of need though.  It is just less likely.

Good thing we can use a S, DT and LB lol

On 1/5/2021 at 8:01 AM, Frankie2Gunz said:

If any of you guys have time and want to research some interesting potential targets for us in the 1st/2nd, here are some players I see going in that range at positions of need for us.  

Rousseau Edge

Ossai Edge 

Oweh Edge

Holland S

Wilson 3T

Horn CB

Campbell CB

I'd add Christian Barmore to the list as well. Might be the disruptive 3T we've lacked since Seymour retired.

On 1/4/2021 at 10:02 PM, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah... but you kinda were:

You said he was a starting caliber player and every time ditched and moaned about the contract you defended if vigorously.

you Also Said “Nassib only played roughly 55% of the Buccaneers snaps over the last two seasons and had a combined 25 QB hits and 12.5 sacks. If you bump him up to 75% of their snaps that'd project to around 8 sacks and 16 QB hits in a season. 

The next line you said you don’t love the terms but literally every time I complained.... which was an Annoying amount you defended it.

Nassib isn’t bad.... but just your average backup base end.... someone that’s a 1yr, 2.0M contract after the draft.   If you think he’s a great system fit and 3rd DE who can kick Inside in your system maybe you pay him 4m..... certainly not 7.75m and certainly not 9.5m in year 2 and absolutely “what are you smoking” not with 5.75m of that guaranteed at Signing.

the guaranteed money was always what made me irate because I knew there’s a very good chance he fails (75% fail rate IMO) and Now you can’t cut him and are paying him dang near 10m.... which could get you a really nice FS.  

You can essentially get the same production from Kendal Vickers a league minimum, from the CFL guy. There’s was zero chance he’d ever be worth 9.5m in year 2. Zero!

btw this is my friendly pay back for going against me (and nearly never with me) all offseason and TC. Lol.

I have no issue admitting when I was wrong. Pretty much every FA Mayock has signed has been a bust for us after thriving in smaller roles for better defenses.