2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

10 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I’m trading next years 1st for Jamal Adams. He’s the alpha dog this team needs. I went to the Jets game last season and he just oozes energy and talent. He’s a legit star! 

Normally I’d be down ... especially since Adams is a beast.... but to Give him a reset the market Contract AND a 1st (plus likely more) is a bad move.  Look at the Mack deal.  
Id rather spend 50-75% what Adams would cost on one of the numerous FAs And KeEp the first round pick.... or spend the 1st on J.Holland of Oregon and get 2-3 good starters or one elite player same amount of money.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Normally I’d be down ... especially since Adams is a beast.... but to Give him a reset the market Contract AND a 1st (plus likely more) is a bad move.  Look at the Mack deal.  
Id rather spend 50-75% what Adams would cost on one of the numerous FAs And KeEp the first round pick.... or spend the 1st on J.Holland of Oregon and get 2-3 good starters or one elite player same amount of money.

Agree. I want to see if we can land an elite IDL at this point as well, if we're gonna "splurge" somewhere.

23 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Safety money is nowhere near DE money and we have a bunch of players on rookie deals. Adams is a true game changer, hell influence a locker room and would be a franchise cornerstone. Shoot Adams, Joyner's(and some change) money moving forward. Adams and Abram would be a nasty duo. More than likely a pipe dream , but id do it in a heart beat. 

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

Safety money is nowhere near DE money and we have a bunch of players on rookie deals. Adams is a true game changer, hell influence a locker room and would be a franchise cornerstone. Shoot Adams, Joyner's(and some change) money moving forward. Adams and Abram would be a nasty duo. More than likely a pipe dream , but id do it in a heart beat. 

Do I really have to say that he has limitations in pass coverage. He's not in Ed Reed or Troy P league as a safety.

On 6/18/2020 at 2:26 PM, Geezy said:

I’m trading next years 1st for Jamal Adams. He’s the alpha dog this team needs. I went to the Jets game last season and he just oozes energy and talent. He’s a legit star! 

I'm sorry but spending all the money we didn't want to spend on Mack for a safety doesn't seem very cost effective.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

16M is still alot, plus give up draft picks.

6 hours ago, Geezy said:

Adams has been reported to be seeking 16-17M per year.  While less than Mack’s 22.5M or F.Clark/DLaw’s 21.... it’s not that much less (4-5M). 

This isn’t meant as a personal attack on you but.... these “1st round pick for Player X, who then gets a new positional record setting contract” Never work out.  It’s an instant gratification move. And Adding Adams doesn’t make us a contender.  We’re not a SS away from winning the SB.  Plus, we have high hopes for Abram who plays the same position and should give us 85% of the value for 1/8th the cost.... not to mention the first round pick.

Abram’s is signed to a 4y, 11.5M deal with cap hits of 2.1, 2.6, 3.1, 3.6M plus a 5th year option.

The only possible way Adams for a 1st makes sense to us would be if we were Able to extend him 4 years plus his ‘21 5th year option  of 9.9M and ‘20 salary being .825M.... So it’d be like a brand new 6y deal for .825M + 9.9M + 4 years at 16M (give it take).... which is a 6y, 75M deal... or     12.5M per year on average....

However, Adams isn’t going to agree to that.... ever.  He wants to rip up his current rookie deal with ‘20 and ‘21 still under contract and sign a new 4-6M deal at an average of 16-17M. 

There’s just way too many solid draft options next year and a plethora of good FS’s in FA, meaning the supply should drive down the cost of the bottom tier 1 players.  

The Minkah Fitzpatrick trade was a good deal for Pitt because they got him for 1.0, 2.0, 2.7M plus a 5th year option.  Would you rather have MK and 13-16M or Adams.... obviously MK and the money.

Theres a reason why Adams has been on the trade block for something like 18 months without a deal getting done.  

We are in a very good place in regards to having an up-and-coming young team and very good cap situation due to Being fiscally conservative.... it’s not time to throw it all away and pull Madden trades.  We need to stay the course.  Fill the roster with cheap talent from the draft and target select FAs.  

Not to mention with the cap situation up in the air in ‘21 we need to be especially frugal.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Adams has been reported to be seeking 16-17M per year.  While less than Mack’s 22.5M or F.Clark/DLaw’s 21.... it’s not that much less (4-5M). 

This isn’t meant as a personal attack on you but.... these “1st round pick for Player X, who then gets a new positional record setting contract” Never work out.  It’s an instant gratification move. And Adding Adams doesn’t make us a contender.  We’re not a SS away from winning the SB.  Plus, we have high hopes for Abram who plays the same position and should give us 85% of the value for 1/8th the cost.... not to mention the first round pick.

Abram’s is signed to a 4y, 11.5M deal with cap hits of 2.1, 2.6, 3.1, 3.6M plus a 5th year option.

The only possible way Adams for a 1st makes sense to us would be if we were Able to extend him 4 years plus his ‘21 5th year option  of 9.9M and ‘20 salary being .825M.... So it’d be like a brand new 6y deal for .825M + 9.9M + 4 years at 16M (give it take).... which is a 6y, 75M deal... or     12.5M per year on average....

However, Adams isn’t going to agree to that.... ever.  He wants to rip up his current rookie deal with ‘20 and ‘21 still under contract and sign a new 4-6M deal at an average of 16-17M. 

There’s just way too many solid draft options next year and a plethora of good FS’s in FA, meaning the supply should drive down the cost of the bottom tier 1 players.  

The Minkah Fitzpatrick trade was a good deal for Pitt because they got him for 1.0, 2.0, 2.7M plus a 5th year option.  Would you rather have MK and 13-16M or Adams.... obviously MK and the money.

Theres a reason why Adams has been on the trade block for something like 18 months without a deal getting done.  

We are in a very good place in regards to having an up-and-coming young team and very good cap situation due to Being fiscally conservative.... it’s not time to throw it all away and pull Madden trades.  We need to stay the course.  Fill the roster with cheap talent from the draft and target select FAs.  

Not to mention with the cap situation up in the air in ‘21 we need to be especially frugal.  

You pretty much nailed it.  Hard pass on Adams at 17 per and giving up draft capital for a player at a non impact position.  Is Adams a stud, yes there is no denying that but he is not a player who puts us over the edge.  Having a great safety is a luxury but not a necessity and that 17 million will go a long way in next years FA class.  This team needs to add depth and stud at a more impactful position (3T) which will cost much less than the 17 for Adams.    

This was my stance on the Mack trade from day 1.  Mack is a stud but we were so far off from contention that paying him all of that cash would be foolish considering he would be on the downside of his career by they time we would be in contention

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Isn’t he more of a SS? Like others have said, the upcoming free agency class is loaded, and we just drafted Abram who has A potential for his position, 

Adams plays SS but could also play FS... it’s not like he’s limited in coverage it’s more of he’s so good as a playmaker and close to the LOS that he’s used at SS to get him closer to the ball.

but your right... Abram plays the same position and has great potential too.

we’re just so much better off having patience and waiting to add the FS that will fit our scheme.... and with the immense options in the draft and FA we’ll have plenty of options.

19 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Kenny Clarke is that splurge iDL UFA I’d love to get next year.

Either Clark or Chris Jones would be a solid addition but both will cost around 15mil to land.  

I assume we will let Prince A. walk after this season and most likely release Joyner.  Do you think we make a play for a CB like Adoree Jackson, Marlon Humphrey or Awuzie if they hit the FA market or is it too early to tell? 

I know we have invested a lot of draft capital in the CB position over the last 2 years (Mullin, Arnette, Robinson, Johnson) but clearly none of those players have proven to be true lockdown #1's.  Having a lockdown CB is critical and CB depth is critical over the course of a season.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Either Clark or Chris Jones would be a solid addition but both will cost around 15mil to land.  

I assume we will let Prince A. walk after this season and most likely release Joyner.  Do you think we make a play for a CB like Adoree Jackson, Marlon Humphrey or Awuzie if they hit the FA market or is it too early to tell? 

I know we have invested a lot of draft capital in the CB position over the last 2 years (Mullin, Arnette, Robinson, Johnson) but clearly none of those players have proven to be true lockdown #1's.  Having a lockdown CB is critical and CB depth is critical over the course of a season.   

Likely a good amount more imo.