2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

4 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Potentially no NFL combine this year would make this an even crazier draft.  

They should just do it like the NBA did. The guys that are invited to the combine go workout at the NFL facility that's closest to them instead of going to Indianapolis. Like USC prospects would go workout at the Rams facility, Alabama prospects at the Falcons facility, etc. 

On 1/7/2021 at 7:06 PM, jimkelly02 said:

I just want to say I’m scouting these players as if I’m a Raiders scout.... I think about how a player fits our team and scheme and im very Leary of having to heavily develop talent because we’re trash at it.  
He definitely can be very good.  He can develop.  I just don’t love him for us.
I don’t think Jefferson has nearly the same success he had in Minnesota with us.

Meh agree to disagree imo a wr like Jefferson is just what Carr/we need 

42 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh agree to disagree imo a wr like Jefferson is just what Carr/we need 

When did I say a WR like Jefferson is something Carr doesn’t need?  Your taking what I said and twisting it.

i clearly said I think Jefferson’s level of 1st year production in Minnesota wouldn’t have happened in LV.  I feel that’s a pretty consensus statement.  Jefferson had 125 targets.  Explain to me how he gets near that here?  Thielen and Jefferson are the only outside WR on that team.  The only other WRs to get any targets were Chad Beebe (30) and Olabisi Johnson (19).

I never disliked Jefferson as a prospect, I just didn’t like him for us at 12.  

And Jefferson has proven to be a chain moving big outside WR.... which is exactly what Carr needed/needs and exactly why I preferred Lamb at 12.  I didn’t think Jefferson would last to 19.  I was screaming for Michael Pittman with Bryan Edwards as a fall back in round 3.... because he needs a big WR.

this may be unpopular but im not mad how things shook out.  I think Ruggs (and Agholor) can open up This offense. 

Edited by jimkelly02

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I love both of these guys. 

AO is a great talent but I just don’t see him really fitting a 4-3.  Way to small to be a 4-3 DE (he’s 6’3 240).  You’d need the DC to really craft a defense around him as a SAM.  He’s seems athletic enough to play SAM although would always have some issues in coverage.

he’s a great prospect but id Iike Someone to explain to me how he’d fit this team.

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

AO is a great talent but I just don’t see him really fitting a 4-3.  Way to small to be a 4-3 DE (he’s 6’3 240).  You’d need the DC to really craft a defense around him as a SAM.  He’s seems athletic enough to play SAM although would always have some issues in coverage.

he’s a great prospect but id Iike Someone to explain to me how he’d fit this team.

Get as much talent as possible and build the scheme around their strengths instead of trying to pigeon hole guys into a scheme like we've been doing. 

10 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

That be stupid... should just be smart about combine, and less personnel at event. Limit the media and representation of teams. Get the participants a hotel and test them. 

I think not having a combine is an epic mistake.  There’s zero reason why it can’t be held.

you just need to quarantine for a few days and massive testing before the events start.  Limit the number of team personnel to 3-4 per team.  Have NFL Film Crews record the drills from Sever angles and share the tape with all teams.  Then isolate each position group and spread out the events over more total days.

34 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Get as much talent as possible and build the scheme around their strengths instead of trying to pigeon hole guys into a scheme like we've been doing. 

That sounds great.... yet your answer has zero substance.  But it’s a nice feel good answer though.  
AO is a really good player but your not going to switch to a 3-4 for him.  If he was that good he wouldnt be there at 17.  

of course a GM should modify the scheme to his best players.  But if You don’t have a plan for a draft pick they get ultimately miscast and don’t have the most possible success.  Also, how you use one player effect the others.  If you make him a LEO DE you need to have 3 other DL who can play their roles effectively.  If you make him a 1st+2nd down SAM + 3rd down DE he’d have to hold up in coverage. Heck if you think he can be a 3rd down DE that gets you 12+ sacks he’s worth Taking just to do that.

im absolutely not saying not to take him.  Im Asking if you take him how do You use him?  Your rationale is what Happened in Arizona with Simmons.  How’d that work out?

so how would you use AO if we drafted him?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Your rationale is what Happened in Arizona with Simmons.  How’d that work out?

Totally different situations. Simmons was a hybrid/lb safety on a team with good LB's and safeties. AO is a pass rusher and would be coming to the worst pass rushing team in the NFL. 

I'm thinking the possible 1st round positions are:

Edge or CB.  I don't see Parsons being there at 17 and I'm not sure any other LB's pose good value at 17.  I also don't think any 3T is good value there based on mocks that I have seen.  

I would like to see us go BPA at any of these positions and get Marvin Wilson in round 2, Javon Holland could also be an interesting 2nd round prospect. 

I doubt Rousseau will be there but would pose good value at 17, Jaycee Horn has the makings of a #1 Cb.  

How would you guys feel about Horn in the 1st and Wilson in the 2nd?

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Totally different situations. Simmons was a hybrid/lb safety on a team with good LB's and safeties. AO is a pass rusher and would be coming to the worst pass rushing team in the NFL. 

Clearly they play different positions.  You missed what I was saying so I’ll try and rephrase it.

Arizona drafted a very talented player who didnt fit any position within their 34 defense.  They took what they felt was the most talented player, regardless of the fact he didn’t fit into Either a 34 ILB or OLB.  They certainly got “much talent as possible” but come game day that talent has to play a(n) position(s) within the defense.  You simply can’t adjust the whole defense around 1 player unless their a transcendent player, and neither AO or IS is LT.  They need to fit into the defense. You can modify the defense to some degree but they still need to play their role.  Simmons was a first year failure, and if you don’t have a plan for AO expect the same.

again.... I’m not saying I don’t like AO at 17.... I’m simply asking what role he’d play.

Edited by jimkelly02