2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Either Clark or Chris Jones would be a solid addition but both will cost around 15mil to land.  

I assume we will let Prince A. walk after this season and most likely release Joyner.  Do you think we make a play for a CB like Adoree Jackson, Marlon Humphrey or Awuzie if they hit the FA market or is it too early to tell? 

I know we have invested a lot of draft capital in the CB position over the last 2 years (Mullin, Arnette, Robinson, Johnson) but clearly none of those players have proven to be true lockdown #1's.  Having a lockdown CB is critical and CB depth is critical over the course of a season.   

I cant see us spending big money in FA on a corner unless one if the young drafted guys is obviously struggling. Mullen looked good, Johnson is a huge question mark and obviously Arnette and Robertson are rookies but I think it likely we end up with at least two very decent corners and in respect of the last sentence, I'm much in favour of having 2 or 3 good but not great CBs than a single shutdown or lockdown CB and below average guys to compliment them, so I'd say a lockdown CB isn't essential. We had that with Nnamdi and QBs simply avoided him. Having multiple good players makes the whole D better IMHO and the depth is the critical thing. I think we can achieve that with this group. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I cant see us spending big money in FA on a corner unless one if the young drafted guys is obviously struggling. Mullen looked good, Johnson is a huge question mark and obviously Arnette and Robertson are rookies but I think it likely we end up with at least two very decent corners and in respect of the last sentence, I'm much in favour of having 2 or 3 good but not great CBs than a single shutdown or lockdown CB and below average guys to compliment them, so I'd say a lockdown CB isn't essential. We had that with Nnamdi and QBs simply avoided him. Having multiple good players makes the whole D better IMHO and the depth is the critical thing. I think we can achieve that with this group. 

While I agree with this statement we currently don't know if we have anything more than 1 "good" CB.  My point was if Arnette turns out to be average or Mullin regresses or both, would going after a proven CB who is still in their prime be worth allocating 15 plus million too?

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

On 6/19/2020 at 4:59 PM, Geezy said:

Safety money is nowhere near DE money

Note: I’m not saying this as a “gotcha... I’m right your wrong”.... I was just shocked to see this and it’s relevant.

They’re saying Adams wants 20mil.... when top S money is 15.... so he wants DE money.... no wonder there’s been no trade.... I can’t see a team giving him 20... maybe 16.... at most 17

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-broncos-jets-raiders-4/#

7 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Note: I’m not saying this as a “gotcha... I’m right your wrong”.... I was just shocked to see this and it’s relevant.

They’re saying Adams wants 20mil.... when top S money is 15.... so he wants DE money.... no wonder there’s been no trade.... I can’t see a team giving him 20... maybe 16.... at most 17

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-broncos-jets-raiders-4/#

Exactly right.  He is one of the best in the NFL but no safety is worth DE money.  It's not an impact position. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

While I agree with this statement we currently don't know if we have anything more than 1 "good" CB.  My point was if Arnette turns out to be average or Mullin regresses or both, would going after a proven CB who is still in their prime be worth allocating 15 plus million too?

Yep, that's an interesting line of thought. If Arnette is only average and Mullen doesn't live up to the promise shown so far then I'd think it would be prudent to get one spot locked down with a quality player. Then we have the option of giving the young guys the chance to compete for the other outside spot or nickel. We've invested quite heavily in draft capital over the last couple years, a 1st, a 2nd and 2 4ths so I'd be disappointed to not fill two of the roles but it would be brave for the FO to invest another 1st or 2nd if their two previous guys have flunked. I think they'd go vet and a mid round pick or two.

Luckily, I think Mullen and Robertson will be very good players. Arnette may be a little more hit and miss and I'll be honest and say I haven't seen enough of Johnson to know what we've got in him, still to be convinced on and I'll err on the pessimistic side.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:31 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

Richard Sherman helped the 49ers, so getting someone like him at 15 plus million would be worth it.  But he's top tier.  We shouldn't go paying for someone who isn't a top 5 CB just because of market demand.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Richard Sherman helped the 49ers, so getting someone like him at 15 plus million would be worth it.  But he's top tier.  We shouldn't go paying for someone who isn't a top 5 CB just because of market demand.

I disagree with this assessment.  Sherman is old and I would only sign a CB who is in their prime (25-27) to a large deal like that. 

Sherman has extended his career and has looked good because the 9ers have had a top tier pass rush which has masked his loss of speed.  

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I disagree with this assessment.  Sherman is old and I would only sign a CB who is in their prime (25-27) to a large deal like that. 

Sherman has extended his career and has looked good because the 9ers have had a top tier pass rush which has masked his loss of speed.  

You didn't necessarily disagree with it, you just provided additional context as to what you desire when paying a CB top money (age/speed), and I agree with you.  Age is important.  So if we were to pay a CB 15+ million, I'd hope that he's 25-27 and top 5.  Not top 20 and just the best CB on the market.  I don't want to overpay.  At all.

• Like 1

It’s Not terribly exciting, but I suspect we are going to heavily invest via FA and the draft in the online. We have little depth, and an aging interior (huge understatement). It’s clear we value elite online play and I expect that to be the blue print moving forward.

I don’t think we “invest heavily in the OLine” in 2021 via the draft and FA.

OT:  Miller and T.Brown are under contract, but Sharpe will need to be resigned or replaced.  

G:  Ritchie is under contract for ‘21 but could retire.  Simpson was drafted to replace him whenever he’s gone.  Jackson’s status will entirely depend on how he plays.  If he returns to form we probably keep him, if not we likely resign Good and draft a replacement in rounds 3-4.  Not a “major investment” though.  

C: Hudson’s under contract as is James.

I think a very minor investment is made to keep backups like Good and Sharpe and possibly draft a G in the mid rounds if Jackson is replaced.  That’s very minor investment though, probably the least amount of investment and turnover of any position group.

• Like 1

If we’re talking about the 21 draft, that means we’re talking about the 21-22 season.

Hudson will be 32.  31-32 is about where a decline in play occurs for centers-having a contingency plan is warranted.

Incognito will be 37 this summer... 38 for the 21-22 season... 

Gabe has been reportedly shopped this offseason.

Right now we have a 4th round rookie, and a couple of average at best journeyman behind them? Oh and those backups... Devey is 32 (33 in the 21-22 season), Good will be 30 in that season too... our interior is old.

It’s not sexy, but sorry to say I stand by my expectation that we invest in the interior oline next year. Our front office has shown a predilection to having an elite unit there. They are not going to let that position group go to crap.

Edited by 101Raider