2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

12 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I don’t think we “invest heavily in the OLine” in 2021 via the draft and FA.

OT:  Miller and T.Brown are under contract, but Sharpe will need to be resigned or replaced.  

G:  Ritchie is under contract for ‘21 but could retire.  Simpson was drafted to replace him whenever he’s gone.  Jackson’s status will entirely depend on how he plays.  If he returns to form we probably keep him, if not we likely resign Good and draft a replacement in rounds 3-4.  Not a “major investment” though.  

C: Hudson’s under contract as is James.

I think a very minor investment is made to keep backups like Good and Sharpe and possibly draft a G in the mid rounds if Jackson is replaced.  That’s very minor investment though, probably the least amount of investment and turnover of any position group.

I like this outlook on the unit. 
Simpson is the Richie replacement 

Hudson hasn’t slow down a bit, James was a surprise UDFA. He looked good for a raw center who was a star prep LT and converting over to a new position.

RG- Gabe make or break year. Could draft a guard 2-4th round if he gets hurt again or meh. Good is in the mix to take his job, don’t forget about him. 

I still stand our 2021 biggest needs: 

DT, FS

maybe: WR - see how Edwards/Williams play, LB- see how our new LBs look, CB will Arnette and Mullen’s step up

all those spots before I consider a RG. 

• Like 1

Looking at who is under contract for the next two years or longer and current level of play I say DT, FS and OLB are needed. 
DT were good this season but Collins and Hankins aren’t signed past this season and Hall/Hurst haven’t broken out yet. 
FS Randall 1 year and Joyner at slot likely cut for cap/better player. 
OLB Muse is an unknown so might not be as much of a need if we see something but if no full season then I’d call it a need.

i agree with some C/G depth in rounds 3-4 as it’s good to develop early in case of injury. 

I think FA fills FS and LB with a solid run stuffing DT and draft a pass rushing DT late 1st or early 2nd on a trade down.

4 hours ago, 101Raider said:

If we’re talking about the 21 draft, that means we’re talking about the 21-22 season.

Hudson will be 32.  31-32 is about where a decline in play occurs for centers-having a contingency plan is warranted.

Incognito will be 37 this summer... 38 for the 21-22 season... 

Gabe has been reportedly shopped this offseason.

Right now we have a 4th round rookie, and a couple of average at best journeyman behind them?

It’s not sexy, but sorry to say I stand by my expectation that we invest in the interior oline next year. Our front office has shown a predilection to having an elite unit there. They are not going to let that position group go to crap.

Not a single poster said there wouldn’t need to be some retooling of the G position next season.  
You stated the entire OLine needed “heavy investment in both free agency and the draft”.  Albeit you did specifically mention the iOL (LG, C, RG) would be facing issues of aging.

The reality, as everyone who responded said, is were totally set for starters at LT, RT, and C for the next 2 years plus.  Sure we’ll have to resign Sharpe and/or draft/sign a backup LT but that isn’t a major investment.

At LG we already drafted Incognito’s replacement in John Simpson, who was the 2nd best G prospect this year after Robert Hunt.  But it is worth nothing that Incognito may play in ‘21 and if so Simpson could start at RG if Jackson is cut.

At RG we’ll have to decide to keep Jackson or not and resign or replace Good.  So there will need to be some resources paid to that position.

But as a whole the OLine is probably our strongest position group and will need the least amount of draft and free agency spending.  There’s always going to be some “upkeep” costs but overall those will be minor for the entire OLine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 6:52 AM, 101Raider said:

It’s not sexy, but sorry to say I stand by my expectation that we invest in the interior oline next year. Our front office has shown a predilection to having an elite unit there. They are not going to let that position group go to crap.

I think Simpson was drafted to be Richie's replacement after this season. If we're going to let Gabe walk I could see us investing a big deal into Scherff or Thuney to replace him. Then draft a center in the middle rounds to be Rodney's replacement. 

On 6/25/2020 at 11:56 AM, G said:

Looking at who is under contract for the next two years or longer and current level of play I say DT, FS and OLB are needed. 

Randall and Collins have both flashed a ton of potential and are entering their primes. With good play from either or both I could see us giving them pretty solid extensions. LB could still be a huge need depending on how Kwit plays in a full-time role this season for us. CB could be another pressing need early too because none of Mullen, Johnson, Arnette, or Robertson have shown they can be good NFL starting caliber players. The same thing goes for Jonathan Abram at safety. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I think Simpson was drafted to be Richie's replacement after this season. If we're going to let Gabe walk I could see us investing a big deal into Scherff or Thuney to replace him. Then draft a center in the middle rounds to be Rodney's replacement. 

I could see us waiting until 2022 to looking to find a young center behind Hudson. James could be the real deal 

5 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I could see us waiting until 2022 to looking to find a young center behind Hudson. James could be the real deal 

Yeah Hudson is almost certainly going to be the starting C through ‘22.  There’s no urgency to find his replacement and James has so far been a solid backup. 

Unless some great value presents itself then we’ll likely wait until the ‘22 draft to find his replacement or sign a veteran in the ‘23 Free Agency.

Center is one of the areas on the team that is the most stable and needs the least amount of attention.

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah Hudson is almost certainly going to be the starting C through ‘22.  There’s no urgency to find his replacement and James has so far been a solid backup. 

Unless some great value presents itself then we’ll likely wait until the ‘22 draft to find his replacement or sign a veteran in the ‘23 Free Agency.

Center is one of the areas on the team that is the most stable and needs the least amount of attention.

Yeah I could see that happening.... I could see us signing Star ⭐️ DT, FS next offseason in free agency. Then go into the draft in 2021 rounds 1-3 

LB, WR( another weapon why not), G assuming Gabe is gone 

then 22 draft rounds 1-3 

C, Defense help x2! 

maybe sign a vet physical RB for cheap in Free agency. Our team is actually position really nice going forward. 

DT Marvin Wilson will be someone I’ll be keeping my eye on this year. Talented DT from FSU. DT will be addressed next year if don’t get any big improvements from Hurst and Hall and if they can’t get Collins back. Marvin will be a top 10 pick so hopefully we won’t be picking that high. 

Christian Barmore from Bama is another DT worth watching figures to go in the first round. First year starting. 

Safety Hamsah Nasirildeen is another guy. Just a massive player 6”4 215. So many possibilities with a player that size

cant wait for college football to start if it does. 

52 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

DT Marvin Wilson will be someone I’ll be keeping my eye on this year. Talented DT from FSU. DT will be addressed next year if don’t get any big improvements from Hurst and Hall and if they can’t get Collins back. Marvin will be a top 10 pick so hopefully we won’t be picking that high. 

Christian Barmore from Bama is another DT worth watching figures to go in the first round. First year starting. 

Safety Hamsah Nasirildeen is another guy. Just a massive player 6”4 215. So many possibilities with a player that size

cant wait for college football to start if it does. 

Does not look good right now from what I have read.  With everything else going on in my life sports was going to be a release but if having it adds to the length of the stress I say punt on professional/college sports for the rest of 2020.  I think getting rid of the bread and games model this country thrives on might be good for all of us.  Just let us detox and appreciate life and those around us again.

• Like 1

Big Ten and PAC 12 said they’re only doing conference games so other conferences should follow, but there is some doubt that we will see college football start on time. I do think we could see it get moved to spring, but if that happens what happens with these high profile players. Will they even play. Does the draft then gets pushed back. 

Hard to tell these kids to go out there and play when classes haven’t started with kids in classes. They don’t have much time, but I think it does get moved to spring. 

I have no doubts of the NFL starting on time. 

12 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Does not look good right now from what I have read.  With everything else going on in my life sports was going to be a release but if having it adds to the length of the stress I say punt on professional/college sports for the rest of 2020.  I think getting rid of the bread and games model this country thrives on might be good for all of us.  Just let us detox and appreciate life and those around us again.

I both hate and love this comment. Hate because I’m ready to move on and don’t care about the cost because I’m DONE.

I love it because I believe it’s right. There are so many things that are actually important. If we turned off social media for 2020 then I think it would be amazing. However I think having access to that stuff with trying to stay home creates a bigger and more dangerous mental health issue.

A very thought provoking post that got a reaction I wouldn’t expect from myself but good to see I still have a sliver of humanity left. Lol

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 8:26 PM, NYRaider said:

Having two firsts next year would've been nice because we would've potentially had the draft capital to move up for Justin Fields or Trey Lance. 

Prior to the draft I said it to the point of exhaustion....

we should invest some draft capital this year to gain draft capital in ‘21 and beyond. 

it’s unlikely we’d ever be able to get Fields tho, as he should go top 5.  Even two middle of the pack 1sts wouldn’t be enough to get him.

• Like 1